Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still do not believe that the WWE has ruined Styles. I look at it this way, despite losing to Jericho twice he looked impressive in defeat plus Jericho cheated both times to win. As far as not being able to beat Roman for the title, well he gave the man his all and looked highly impressive in both defeats, and if wasn't for outside interference he might of would of beaten Roman the second time. And although AJ needed some help in fighting Kofi and Xavier, nothing wrong with getting in trouble with those guys as they are talented wrestlers that just got the better of AJ for a brief period. Styles is still in a position most would kill to be in and he can come out even better from it.

You know the funniest thing and AJ should have called it out. He technically beat Roman the minute Roman couldn't escape the pin and put his foot on the rope to break the count. In No DQ matches there are no rope breaks. Also I didn't mind him getting pushed by Xavier as he Styles Clashed him onto the floor. Plus, AJ has always been the guy who starts slow and then comes alive out of nowhere. The issue I have is if he doesn't beat Cena. Cena in his own interviews seems completely disinterested in playing a face. He has stated that he wants to go heel but cannot. His Promo about being the "real guy" of the WWE sounds like he has comeback more to put over the talent than to be the big cheese of a so called New Era. I will not be surprised if AJ wins the Cena feud and it culminates in the rise of the Club turning into a WWE version of Bullet Club. The reason I say this is the disturbing lack of Merchandise for The Club. All factions have Merch, from LoN, to the Wyatts, New Day and even Social Outcast. The "Club" doesn't because it is most likely going to be a subfaction as "The Elite" is to Bullet Club.

Either way its times for Cena to step aside. WWE wants to get into the Japanese market. Cena and his ilk aren't going to make that happen since they are blatantly inferior to the NJPW talent in both matches and skill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think we have Vince McMahon lurking here incognito. :lol
That or a moron who has a hard on for hard bodied males. Seriously, when people complain that a 5'10 man who is in incredible shape is small and not "big enough" I cannot forget my psychology class where a subtle clue to same sex attraction is the obsession of the bodies of other men. Simply put why would you care about the "attractiveness" of a male wrestler unless you are turned on by seeing good looking male wrestlers.

We all watch wrestling for a reason and some reasons aren't for the wrestling... :D

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
Either way its times for Cena to step aside. WWE wants to get into the Japanese market. Cena and his ilk aren't going to make that happen since they are blatantly inferior to the NJPW talent in both matches and skill.
Which is why Nakamura is Network Exclusive and reportedly staying there for a long time, they are not going to move their biggest star (internationally) to the side to try and capture the market.

Even less so when they can market Cena vs NJPW stars as dream matches like they are with AJ.

Reactions: Bushmaster

·
Registered
572 Posts
if styles cant win the FEUD against cena im done with him not even a bullet/balor club could keep me interested.
loss and wins matter!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Can't beat Jericho, can't beat Roman, can't beat KO and now can't even get the better of Kofi and Xavier without assistance.

In what world is this a dream match when the guy has been booked to be weaker than a 40 year old heel Jericho.

Loss after loss, I can't believe he's still remotely over after being to look like shit week in week out.

That line was definitely fed by Vince, he wants the fans to sour on AJ.

It sums up AJ in the WWE so far, a bust. Someone who has been brought in to take loses and show that the WWE is the big leagues. Petty fucker is that Vince.

Nothing but a clean win can get him some much needed credibility, otherwise in fans eyes he's just a loser who cheated to beat Cena.
Ye she lost to Jericho at Mani abut he beat him bottom line. Wasnt Jericho the one he pinned in the four way to become #1 contender? Yes he lost to Reigns but he di dhis job and put over Reigns. He was ot buried by either. They wanted KO in th eladder match so AJ can wrestle Cena so again not buried. Not getting better of Kofi or Xaiver it to set up New Day and Anderson/Gallows. Plain and simple.

·
TAFKA KroKro
2,685 Posts
"Sir AJ Styles is really good"

"I don't care, shes dating CM Punk!"

Am I funny?

In all reality, man it's tough. It really tells you the future of Samoa Joe and Nakamura as well, I hope they have big plans for Styles. I hope he actually remains a key player and earns a few titles before retiring because damn it he deserves it, really one of my favorites and is easily one of the best wrestlers.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
To Vince I would think his view is you aren't a somebody unless you've made it in WWE. To him, I would think anything previous to WWE is irrelevant and each individual is just beginning their story the first minute a wrestler's music hits in a WWE arena. So how can you say he's buried them, when they're rookies in a WWE ring getting LARGE opportunities? I'd say it's just the beginning, but hey we all have our own view of things.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think I mentioned this in a previous thread and some people quoted me on that thread with crying emojis and all sorts of sad shit, so I will reiterate here for all of you who clearly do not understand:

AJ Styles is Mr. TNA Wrestling. He is arguably TNA's biggest star. Vince McMahon brought him in to lose...and put over WWE talent. He is going to squeeze whatever star power is left out of AJ Styles and then politely discard him. AJ Styles seems to be okay with this because I think, in my humble opinion, that this is AJ Styles' Swan Song in Pro Wrestling. This is him giving back to the industry, not the company.

Also, John Cena is Mr. WWE...do you really think, based on history, that AJ Styles in any way, shape, or form is going to defeat in any capacity the face of the WWE for the last 10 years? The same face AJ competed against during his time with a rival promotion?

I knew what to expect when AJ Styles came to WWE and I got more than I expected.

He got to work with a friend and colleague in Chris Jericho at WrestleMania. Sure, he lost, but like I mentioned before...Vince and WWE brought him in to lose and put WWE talent over. It still was an awesome match.

He has gotten two world title shots in the main event of two events. It was against the new golden child of WWE. He was put there to make that dude look legit and he did. They were awesome matches with close losses.

He is now going against arguably the biggest star in the past 10 years.

He is in the spot light, but that spot light is being used to put over WWE since it is "the big leagues" and everything else is "the minors".

In the end, that is AJ Styles' role. To enhance talent.

Do I like it or agree with it? Hell fuck no. But it is what Vince and WWE want from him.
AJ is pushing 40, which means that there isn't much time left, which is WHY people are so frustrated, as they're clearly wasting him. Imagine if in the New Generation era, when they signed Dustin Rhodes, Austin and Foley from WCW, they had them losing to the likes of TL Hopper and Duke The Dumpster Droese, just to show that the WWF's talent was superior, and kept pushing Rocky Maivia as a top face, while NOT turning him heel or changing his gimmick. Also, imagine if during the Attitude Era they had Benoit, Eddie, and Jericho (all from WCW) jobbing to the likes of Bob Holly, Val Venis, Test, Albert, Bossman, etc. for the sole purpose of getting them to "know their place". That would be TERRIBLE business, and this is no exception as AJ is one of the best wrestlers in the world (similar to how Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, and Austin were when they first signed with WWF/E), and is OVER. This is similar to how Christian (returned to WWECW from TNA, and when he got to the main shows he had two very short title reigns and was immediately getting pinned by the likes of Ted DiBiase, Curt Hawkins, and even TENSAI), Low Ki (had two Diva Search contestants as his NXT trainers and lost to everyone when he got to the main roster, even CHAVO, who came off losing a feud to HORNSWOGGLE), and Gail Kim (first ever KO champion, returned to WWE, lost to the likes of Maryse and Michelle McCool often, rarely appeared on Raw, and eventually eliminated herself from a battle royal and quit) were treated after signing with WWE from TNA. The Sting vs. HHH was even worse. Stuff like that wouldn't be happening if there was a promotion like WCW out there... this is just a pure ego trip to "prove" that his homegrown wrestlers are better than wrestlers from other companies, when most people know that wrestling is scripted these days, which defeats the purpose. AJ clearly deserves a title run for how good he is and how over he is, especially after only being in WWE for a few months now.

·
A Lord of Cinder
1,411 Posts
AJ is pushing 40, which means that there isn't much time left, which is WHY people are so frustrated, as they're clearly wasting him. Imagine if in the New Generation era, when they signed Dustin Rhodes, Austin and Foley from WCW, they had them losing to the likes of TL Hopper and Duke The Dumpster Droese, just to show that the WWF's talent was superior, and kept pushing Rocky Maivia as a top face, while NOT turning him heel or changing his gimmick. Also, imagine if during the Attitude Era they had Benoit, Eddie, and Jericho (all from WCW) jobbing to the likes of Bob Holly, Val Venis, Test, Albert, Bossman, etc. for the sole purpose of getting them to "know their place". That would be TERRIBLE business, and this is no exception as AJ is one of the best wrestlers in the world (similar to how Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, and Austin were when they first signed with WWF/E), and is OVER. This is similar to how Christian (returned to WWECW from TNA, and when he got to the main shows he had two very short title reigns and was immediately getting pinned by the likes of Ted DiBiase, Curt Hawkins, and even TENSAI), Low Ki (had two Diva Search contestants as his NXT trainers and lost to everyone when he got to the main roster, even CHAVO, who came off losing a feud to HORNSWOGGLE), and Gail Kim (first ever KO champion, returned to WWE, lost to the likes of Maryse and Michelle McCool often, rarely appeared on Raw, and eventually eliminated herself from a battle royal and quit) were treated after signing with WWE from TNA. The Sting vs. HHH was even worse. Stuff like that wouldn't be happening if there was a promotion like WCW out there... this is just a pure ego trip to "prove" that his homegrown wrestlers are better than wrestlers from other companies, when most people know that wrestling is scripted these days, which defeats the purpose. AJ clearly deserves a title run for how good he is and how over he is, especially after only being in WWE for a few months now.
I understand how you feel...but please understand that my post has nothing to do with how I feel about this situation either. It is based on 20 years of past experience. I could write blogs and even make a youtube documentary about this.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Long time fan that's going to break down the situation. I see lots of guy's on here saying "AJ Styles is the best, KEEP HIM A FACE AND TURN REIGNS AND CENA HEEL!" This isn't going to happen lol. Essentially the WWE is using NXT, as well as Japan leagues as bad guy factories to churn out competitors for Reigns and Cena. So any time some new guy comes up and feuds with either dude, you should be expecting them to ultimately lose.

Cena should be putting people over right now, as he's pushing 40 and has been the top face for 11 years, and Reigns isn't main event material, which I'll get into below. Feeding the Japan wrestlers and NXT prospects to Cena and Reigns is backwards booking.

Why don't they just put the belt on a guy like Rollins or Styles instead? Because the guy's lack casual appeal. It will sound crazy but many people are interested in wrestling to see two giant power houses facing each other, and the idea of a guy like Styles, who isn't exactly the most imposing presence, isn't going to bring eye balls. Now when I say "eye balls", don't get me wrong a lot of people cheer for him and I personally like the guy a lot, but the type of fans he has are likely going to watch the product anyway. That's how it has always been, and that's why the WWE will toss the "hard core marks" a bone here and there, to keep them hooked, but overall, they are trying to get other types of fans watching the show as well.

Heidenreich, Snitsky, Nathan Jones, Tomko, Khali, Mason Ryan, Big Daddy V, A-Train, Test, Luther Reigns, Kenzo, etc. are all examples of why just being big is NOT enough to appeal to casuals, as they ALL lacked charisma, mic skills, and in-ring ability (I know A-Train became Giant Bernard but before that). Reigns fits into this category as he lacks everything but the look. AJ has charisma and in-ring ability, which gives him more of the criteria than any of these big guys had. The big guys that became a big success, like Lesnar (great in-ring ability along with the look), Goldberg (the look and VERY charismatic), Batista (ditto Goldberg), Warrior (ditto Goldberg and Batista), Cena (great look, mic skills, charisma, and in-ring ability), Undertaker (solid mic skills, very charismatic, great in-ring ability, and the look), and Hogan (great look, extremely charismatic, and great on the mic), all had at least two out of four (charisma, mic skills, look, and in-ring ability).

Now you may say, "Well Roman doesn't have many casual fans!" that may appear to be the case, ratings have still gone down from what I can see with Reigns as the champ but the WWE network has been steadily increasing subscribers, which would indicate that while Reigns is hated by hardcore marks, most people don't mind him having the belt and are still giving the WWE their money.

The WWE Network now features Raw replays from 1993-2005 (New Generation, Attitude, and Ruthless Aggression eras), Smackdown replays until WM 20, all Nitros until mid August 1999, and all ECW episodes, along with every PPV from WWE, WCW, and ECW. Most of that wasn't on the WWE Network a year ago. Nostalgia sells, so I don't consider that having anything to do with Reigns.

I know some will say, "They would be making A LOT more money if they put the belt on a guy like AJ Styles" all one has to do is see how hard TNA has flopped though to show that AJ while popular with people already watching the show, has not had any sort of track record of bringing in new fans (at least not a good one). Ditto goes for the ROH style in general, we see tons of people wanting the show to pretty much just push guy's that were in ROH (and then NXT), yet the reality remains, ROH has never been popular. Many wrestling fans have not even heard of it, not only that, but the ones that have may have never seen one of their shows. If the ROH style was as great and popular as some on here describe - by this point the ROH would be a serious competitor with the WWE. The exact opposite is the truth though.

AJ has nothing to do with TNA being in the position it's in... TNA's booking has been the biggest reason, along with trying to be better than WWE rather than different, relying on older talent to carry the company, and constantly changing their direction.

Theoretically speaking though, let's assume these ROH guy's would bring in a lot of money. It would still be a bad idea to use them because their ring style is not smart when working as main eventers. Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins are too good examples of this. As a main eventer, you want to work a safe style where you don't take too many unnecessary risks, as an injury can screw everything up. With Rollins and Bryan though, we saw they did nothing like this and in the process the product suffered. When you've been in the ring as long as these dudes have, you should be able to work a relatively safe match that can still get the crowd going crazy, it appears these guys have not learned that part of wrestling though yet.

Some of the most injury prone wrestlers are those who work "safe styles"... Edge, Orton, Batista, etc. And when the X Division was in its prime, the wrestlers hardly ever got hurt. Jericho wrestled more of a high flying style and I can't remember him ever getting injured. Wear and tear, which a schedule like WWE's can easily cause, is a bigger factor for injuries than the style somebody works. I'd feel much safer working with somebody like AJ than somebody like Khali or Ryback...

Anyways, don't hate the messenger, I'm merely explaining why the WWE does not push some of the smaller flippy guys to the top spot, since this type of stuff is posted non-stop every day on the site. These guys will still get pushes, it's just not going to be to the level many of you guys here want. So in short, there's no reason to expect AJ Styles or some of the other guys (Rollins, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn) to get pushed above guy's like Cena or Reigns. Cena or Reigns are not going to turn heel and be fed to these guy's because the WWE would likely lose a lot of money. The NXT and NJPW guy's are ultimately enhancement talent, used to keep the top guys looking good and keep them feuding with fresh faces. As long as you keep expecting them to get wacky pushes though, you will ultimately end up getting angry pretty much every Monday Night, as well as on one Sunday a month. The only thing you can feasibly do is stop watching and watch other wrestling shows instead.

Which is backwards booking as Cena doesn't need rubs anymore, because he's JOHN CENA and already has a HOF spot locked up, and Reigns as a main eventer/top face just isn't working. People like Rollins, Owens, Zayn, Rusev, and Ambrose (who SHOULD be the top face right now) SHOULD be getting wins over the likes of Cena these days... I'm not saying that Cena should be losing to people like Heath Slater, but it is clearly time for him to be giving rubs to the younger wrestlers as he's 39 years old and isn't getting any younger. A 40 year old as one of the top faces, if not THE top face, reminds me a lot of late WCW, which today's WWE has a lot of similarities to.

FIN
My statements are in bold.

181 - 191 of 191 Posts