Wrestling Forum banner

AJ Styles performance tonight...

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tonight at Elimination Chamber I think AJ proved he can still go in the ring, and I'm looking forward to the match at Mania. Hopefully Taker lays down...

·
The Babyface of WF
10,970 Posts
Just because AJ has reduced his moveset revolving around his Aerial arsenal doesn't mean he's lost it, AJ still works a more Technical style with the odd limb targeting well enough to pass any match and is better off with a more Catch as Catch can style at his age he'll be fine with Taker at WM.

·
Baby Yoda
29,357 Posts
You are one of the reasons I made this thread, you say that repeatedly. Apparently you missed his match again tonight, b/c he did quite a few things...
This isn't AJ, there's a reason why so many are questioning his ability nowadays and calling him washed - including a lot of his own fans.

Dude is phoning it in when he said he wouldn't continue if he couldn't continue to be him. He lied just like Taker about that.

Honestly, he should retire because he's a shadow of what he was even a year ago.

AJ may not be what he used to be, but he'll still sell his ass for Taker and make him look as good as possible. If it stays 1 on 1, he's the best guy to get a decent singles match out of Taker.
That AJ needs to fly around and AJ doesn't do that anymore.

The match is going to die a painful death at WM like a lot of his matches these days.

It's almost as if he's a completely different wrestler these days and has cut 99% of his moveset out which got the crowds behind him.

·
Registered
170 Posts
He's definitely slowed down, but that's understandable. I don't think adhering to the modern WWE style helps - i.e stagey chair shots/table bump and running through arsenal of sig moves before kick outs and then finishing move or two.

I like how 56 year old Mark Callaway seems to have more muscle mass now than in the Attitude Era!

·
Registered
771 Posts
The man is 42 years old!!! If there is any criticism, this needs to be at tue forefront of your mind. Even at his age, he is still able to put o the match of the night and more than hang with the younger guys (flippity flops and and all). While he may not be doing everything he did 10 or even 5 years ago, he is still among the top 5 workers in the business.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The man is 42 years old!!! If there is any criticism, this needs to be at tue forefront of your mind. Even at his age, he is still able to put o the match of the night and more than hang with the younger guys (flippity flops and and all). While he may not be doing everything he did 10 or even 5 years ago, he is still among the top 5 workers in the business.
I don't disagree. I think he's aging gracefully, but Im biased cuz he's my 2nd fav of all time. I hear some people on here saying he's slowed down too much or "doesn't do anything" in his matches, so I wondered what the general consensus is.

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
Who thinks AJ Styles isn't good? There's literally one person in this thread @Ace and he's not even bashing AJ. Just saying his previous work is better. Plus, there's always one blind, dumb hater for no reason. Look at Kratosx23.

No one thinks AJ has lost a step. He, like all humans, has had to slow down with AJ and WWE style. He's still one of the best in WWE, ever.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's almost as if he's a completely different wrestler these days and has cut 99% of his moveset out which got the crowds behind him.
It's almost as if you didn't watch the match last night? AJ did the Phenomonal Dropkick, a step-up inziguri, the Pele kick, A Brainbuster, Oshi-guroshi, and 2 cool variations of the Phenomonal Forearm (including one to the outside). Besides the Moonsault-Reverse DDT what "signature" move did he leave out? Plus he sold & bumped like a mutha & took a meteora threw a table! Don't know what else you want for a wwe non main event match.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,184 Posts
AJ Styles has been boring for a long time. All his big matches were disappointing. Nakamura. Samoa Joe. A few others so forgettable that I can't name em. He usually comes into a match with a ton of hype and then works an incredibly slow paced match, unaggressive, lazily limb targeting....

The match with Black was his best in a long long time

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hes better that what you see, the WWE style doesnt fit him.
Let's be honest, there is no WWE style anymore. It's not like 10+ years ago when indie wrestlers were forced to learn the WWF/WWE way.

WWE has been so infused with indie talents that the old way of working matches has faded into obscurity.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts