Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about this for a while, and it seems to me that Vince view AJ as modern day Edge, and that is how he has been portrayed. Sadly he have to be babyface, because he is pretty much the most popular babyface in WWE. Thankfully they have let him keep some of his arrogance.

I think Vince value him very highly, and he deserve it. He really is the difference why smackdown is the better show. He is the most interesting character and the best wrestler in WWE. It is so sad that there are no bigger babyfaces, and KO have to be a heel.

Too bad he is turning 40 soon, and he wont have many years left. WWE would have really needed him since Edge retired.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,146 Posts
If the comparison your making relies on the backing that they're both they were both the top guys on the B brand then sure but other than that no.

Edge's biggest asset was his character work and the fact that he was a despicable heel that people actually hated. AJ's biggest asset is his ring work which got him extremely over, AJ can't get half the heat that Edge did.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I dont really see it. AJ is better as a face while Edge was better as a heel. AJs a better wrestler but worse on the mic and not as good of a character.

I love AJ but I think his run so far in WWE couldve been a lot better. He needs to do less promos and stick to just wrestling. Edge on the other hand i think lived up to his potential. Edge was a clear cut main eventer whatever show he was. Hopefully AJ can get there at some point.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I don't see the comparison. AJ Styles didn't have Edge's size, look, and has nowhere near the charisma or mic skills. His personality is nothing like Edge's (beyond a general heel arrogance, in that respect, he's like every heel in history rather than just Edge), Edge was frequently with a valet or a partner of some sort, and Edge's gimmick was basically that he could think of every cheap trick in the book to win the title but he couldn't keep it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
For me, Ambrose has been the most similar to Edge as a face. I think it's the combination of strong but not superhuman booking, being a minor smart-ass on the mic, and the occasionally ridiculous comedy bit. The comedy part is the most comparable. For example, if Ambrose were on the roster instead of Edge when they tried the Paul Bearer kidnapping angle, Ambrose is the guy I see them trying that with.

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,479 Posts
I don't really see any similarities between them to be honest. Edge was a fantastic performer in his day and AJ is one of the best we have right now but everything else from character work to mic work to in-ring work is very different between those two. Edge's psychology and character work was something else. AJ is not really the greatest in that department. His strongest attribute is his in-ring skills.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Both legends of their respective era's, but I would not compare the two character wise or ring wise, they are very different.

Interestingly though on a related note, Edge actually said on his podcast that he started watching WWE again because of AJ Styles. So there is definite respect between the two guys and for what they do.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
I don't see it. Then again I'm the biggest Edge smark and can be blind when it comes to him.

Most of us know how great of a heel Edge was, but let's not forget he was a good face before his first heel turn as a singles guy. And was an even better baby face during his tenure on Smackdown from 2002-2004.

·
This Post Is Rated R
2,754 Posts
AJ Styles is worlds better than Edge could ever hope to be, Insult to AJ to even compare the 2

AJ is the better ring worker sure, Edge is either on par or better than AJ in all other categories though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
AJ Styles is The Phenomenal AJ Styles. Can't compare between the two. Totally different.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,544 Posts
What an aleatory comparison. AJ is more a silent type of guy.

Edge could been very well compared to Owen Hart, or HHH to some extent, the closest we have to Edge right now is Miz, way less entertaining than him, obvious.
But AJ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts