Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mental disorders are something people diagnose way too freely these days. I have known over a dozen people in my life that will claim that they have had some sort of disorder for attention or to feel special or different or something when in reality they were just lazy.

We do live in a society where those that are "different" are placed on a pedestal after all.

Basically what I am saying is I don't believe her. People with bi polar disorders are hard to be around and people generally seem to like her.
You think people feel "special" suffering from this stuff? How about feeling alone? Ashamed? Every day being a struggle? Constant negative thoughts to the point of exhaustion? Inability to deal with social situations? Feeling like a freak?

Yeah, really fucking special. In terms of proof, what are you looking for? A suicide attempt? Look at the stats, especially for young men now. Suicide is one of the biggest killers. Do you know how many of them are totally out of the blue to friends and family? Some people can hide this to the point that the closest people to them have no idea until it's too late.

Congratulations, you are one of those people that others are profiling when saying "people don't understand" and talking about the stigma still attached to this.

·
I swear to god I had something for this...
3,714 Posts
AJ Lee is the perfect example of wrestlers taking their actual personality traits and turning them up to the 10th power to create a compelling character. No wonder she was so great at the crazy gimmick. It's good and bad that she was on top during the dark ages of women's wrestling. It's good because she was able to stand out and appear significantly greater than other women. It's bad because she'll be more remembered more for her popularity than any kind of contributions to women's wrestling, since she was stuck in the era of 3 minute clusterfucks. It took a combination of her protests and the 4 Horsewomen killing it in NXT to make WWE get a clue.
I think AJ would still be on top today. She's a better wrestler than she really got to show. I mean, how can you look good when your opponents are Cameron, Eva Marie, & Brie Bella? One huge point that they are missing without AJ is someone who can play a heel or face. Everyone right now is significantly better at one or the other.

Everyone on Raw, outside of Bayley who has to be a face, is better as a heel. Your girl Sasha is bland as fuck as a babyface, but has to stay one for now because you can't have an entire roster of heels. Raw's design flaw for the women is that everyone on that side is better off as a heel except for Bayley, and Bayley sucks.

·
The EST of NXT
28,502 Posts
I think AJ would still be on top today. She's a better wrestler than she really got to show. I mean, how can you look good when your opponents are Cameron, Eva Marie, & Brie Bella? One huge point that they are missing without AJ is someone who can play a heel or face. Everyone right now is significantly better at one or the other.

Everyone on Raw, outside of Bayley who has to be a face, is better as a heel. Your girl Sasha is bland as fuck as a babyface, but has to stay one for now because you can't have an entire roster of heels. Raw's design flaw for the women is that everyone on that side is better off as a heel except for Bayley, and Bayley sucks.
I distinctly remember AJ's last face run and subsequent feud with Paige being completely awful. She also excelled as a heel and sucked as a face. Do you really think anyone will be talking about the Chickbusters as much as the pipebombshell? Her best work came as the one women's wrestler amongst a bunch of scrubby Divas.

·
Fighting the feeling...
2,444 Posts
Convenient announcement wouldn't you say when she has a book to sell?

Props for coming out and sharing this news but feels watered down. I wonder why she never shared earlier or kept it personal?

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
You know what, good on her. People will constantly shit talk her because of Punk and the fact that she's not with the company, but she had a good run in WWE and was the top women wrestler during her time in many people's eyes.

·
B̴l̨e͡edįng͜ Sin ⛧
10,404 Posts
Some of the negative posts in this thread are exactly why those with mental illness are too afraid of being open about their illness. "Huh Punk should be worried about getting stabbed".....:leo yeah because all bipolar suffers are violent nutters riiiiight?
What do you expect from this forum? :eyeroll

·
I swear to god I had something for this...
3,714 Posts
I distinctly remember AJ's last face run and subsequent feud with Paige being completely awful. She also excelled as a heel and sucked as a face. Do you really think anyone will be talking about the Chickbusters as much as the pipebombshell? Her best work came as the one women's wrestler amongst a bunch of scrubby Divas.
The chickbusters may have worked out if they had ever had a chance to win a single match. Those two were just called up at that time to give Natalya & Beth Phoenix some girls to squash. I don't think that that's a really fair comparison. Aj made a name for herself & got popular originally as a face. She had been over for a long time before the pipebomb.

Her feud with Paige wasn't that bad. There were good moments. It's not her fault that WWE wanted to push the "frenemie" shit to death. Saying she wasn't a good face because WWE's storyline itself was bad isn't fair. Then again, Paige was obviously overrated because of NXT. AJ was her best feud. Her feud with Nikki was awful & really long.

·
Rest in Peace
569 Posts
Both of my parents have Bi-Polar, and it's not an easy thing to live with for the person who has it, or the family that have to watch.

I thought she played her part too well...she's not that good an actress...i am looking forward to reading her book though

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I wonder if this condition contributed to her little altercation with Michelle Beadle?

Though it is Michelle Beadle. That woman can give Nancy Grace a run for her money for being the fucking most annoying woman on the planet.

Side Note: The best thing threads like these provide is more names to add to an ignore list. I swear some of you should put in an application to work for WWE's creative team. Vince is the only person over the age of 12 that loves that pathetic juvenile sense of humor.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
WWE hired somebody that was mentally ill. Wow...

- Vic

It's probably a job requirement.

WWE and wrestling seems to attract a lot of mentally ill people. Moreso in the past.

Props to Punk too, from what my friends have told me of their dealings with bipolar women he'd have to be a strong guy.

Also, props and reps to the posters calling out that guy who was talking trash about mental illness. If anything It's under-diagnosed because people won't seek help due to those pathetic views.

·
THATS THE WALL BROTHER
21,803 Posts
It takes a lot of courage to do what AJ did. It takes courage because there are still so many people who don't comprehend or understand the complexities of mental illness. Along with that there are others who simply choose or don't want to understand. It seems at times people would rather generalise or diminish the people with illness by placing a stance on it by not giving it the same importance as a physical illness. They are equally as painful, and in turn counter act with one another, and one impacts the other. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2015, it truly is a struggle but can be lived with and managed. I agree with earlier points though that people find it hard to be open about it due to the negativity, judgement and total misunderstanding of mental illness as a whole.

·
WF's Resident One Piece mark
1,250 Posts
Mental disorders are something people diagnose way too freely these days. I have known over a dozen people in my life that will claim that they have had some sort of disorder for attention or to feel special or different or something when in reality they were just lazy.

We do live in a society where those that are "different" are placed on a pedestal after all.

Basically what I am saying is I don't believe her. People with bi polar disorders are hard to be around and people generally seem to like her.
You see, people like you probably stay far away from the many, many articles explaining mental illness just so you can stay in this mindset-- which is nothing short of ignorant. To say those who are different are placed on a "pedestal".. are you fucking kidding me? They're placed on a pedestal if the family is making profit or receiving grants from the state, other than that I can't begin to count how many times parents give up on their children because they have no personal gain or benefit, so that in turns leads to a stagnation in their child's neurological development. People like AJ Lee has obviously taken the steps required to function in society and as we see now, people like her eventually flourish. Just a garbage post. Absolute garbage.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I think this might explain a lot of things with regards to her time in WWE, particularly any problems she may have had backstage. Dealing with this combined with the Punk situation had to be super difficult.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts