Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 22 right now, and I still live with my parents, i live in Los Angeles were the price is high, but luckily with how fortunate things have gone, I've actually made a plan to move out before the year is over. My parents are a little worried and said some people actually live with their parents into their late 20s and such, but honestly I was embarraseed to still be living with them as soon as I hit 20..

Though considering the area I live, I think 23 is a pretty respectable age to do so.

My question is what age did you all start living on your own. Just curious tbh.

I'd imagine where everyone lives the price of living is different, so they'll be different scenarios and what not lol

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Far later then I should have.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,816 Posts
Same here well except for the college, but I am finally making decent money haha
The money part is shit during that time, I had to quit my job because those faggots wanted full time and I was only going to do part time so I could attend school and I could still make money so I ended up having no job and going to school full time since I would have time on my hands and wouldn't have made the money I was making at that job. After my schooling, my job took me back, but, they had originally said part time was fine and they had let another person do part time for school a little while before. They then changed their minds.

I saved up all my own money to pay for school, my scrubs, and the 600 books I had to buy. Expensive as balls, holy shit.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
20 Right now and holding down a decent job while living with my mom. Waiting until I have some real money (I'm very frugal with my earnings) so I could move out and get a nice place for myself in the future.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
25, First job at 16 but the money was pretty bad then got made redundant after 4 years when the recession hit then spent 4 years on 0 hour contracts making what I could then finally got a secure job and got a place to rent, moving onto the property ladder in a year or 2.

My brother moved out at 22 then moved back in at 26 then back out at 29 so its nothing to be embarrassed about, just make a good point like home cooked meals. You always win.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
Well the 2008 recession changed society pretty much irreversibly. I really don't think that it's a bad thing for people to stay with their parents longer now. Feel bad for the millenials who were forced to grow up during one of the worst recessions in human history.

Things are only just starting to get better. My wife and I should be able to afford to buy our own house in a couple of years but we're living in a rented space right now. Probably paying more than a mortgage anyways but we don't want to establish roots in this small town. Wanna move to Tampa at some point.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I stayed far later than I otherwise would have liked due to my mum's health issues. She needed a carer, so that was my role while I was doing uni, but despite me being her carer, Mum liked to talk to me very much like a child, telling me what to do and telling me off if I went out while she was sleeping etc. Eventually, we started having too many fights that revolved around the same idea of being an adult, taking on the role of adult carer and still being talked to like I was 12, so I ended up getting my own unit.

I was 25 at the time, now almost 27. Best thing I did, both for me, and my relationship with my mum. Way less arguments, and I only live 10 minutes away, so when she does need my help, I can be there quickly. Finally experiencing freedom as an adult too- I was able to organise other family member to look after Mum so I could travel- been to America twice and absolutely loved it. Plus, eating what I want, going to bed when I want, going out when I want... a year and a half and the novelty has not worn off.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Well the 2008 recession changed society pretty much irreversibly. I really don't think that it's a bad thing for people to stay with their parents longer now.
Statistically, families living together is definitely much more common now. I know quite a few people who have younger people still living with them

Plus, people with certain ethnic and cultural backgrounds don't even consider this to be abnormal. They were not raised with that turn 18, move out the house, mentality that the media likes to push on Americans. Instead they value family.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
Statistically, families living together is definitely much more common now. I know quite a few people who have younger people still living with them

Plus, people with certain ethnic and cultural backgrounds don't even consider this to be abnormal. They were not raised with that turn 18, move out the house, mentality that the media likes to push on Americans. Instead they value family.
It's a especially terrible idea in certain states that simply no longer have affordable housing.

My brother is 40+ and him and my parents still live together and they live like kings in what is essentially a small mansion pooling resources. It's definitely a cultural thing and my brother and his wife take care of my aging parents while his kids get to experience a luxurious life with their grandparents. Everyone's perfectly happy.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
I still haven't and I'm in my late 20's.

The cost of living in Auckland is horrendous, even renting is getting too expensive. So I think I'll stay here with my Mum in her house that she owns for now. I pay her "rent" money every week and I pay for the internet, so it's not like I'm living with her for free or anything.

Reactions: Reaper

·
Registered
913 Posts
I moved out at 20. Got an apartment with my future wife.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
17 when I moved out, four days after my last day of High School. My best friend and I moved from Etobicoke, Ontario to Gold Coast, Queensland Australia. We lived there for the next two years then moved back to Toronto and attended York University. We now live in different provinces, he lives in Grand Prarie, Alberta and I live in Toronto, Ontario. I hope one day to retire to Gold Coast. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts