Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
So, in the summer of 2017, you would have rather planned AJ vs Jinder Mahal at Wrestlemania, than AJ vs Nakamura?

Wow.
AJ's matches with Jinder were more entertaining to me. I liked that it told a david vs goliath story and AJ finally winning the title was not only a great moment, one of the best in 2017, but also historic for doing it in the UK.

AJ's feud against Nakamura was underwhelming. Everyone kept acting like it was this monumental feud that needed to happen but I didn't think it lived up to the hype at all. Yeah, on paper Nakamura vs AJ should have been the better feud but it just wasn't in my opinion.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
Jinder wasn't the draw they were hoping for. Had they built up properly for a few months instead of giving him the title right away, fans could've taken him seriously.

Having a match against Brock Lesnar and defeating Triple H in India also would've given him credibility that he badly needed.

- Vic

·
I will make something truly astonishing!
4,219 Posts
As to why it ended when it did - AJ is very popular in the UK (It seemed like I saw more Styles merch being worn than everything else put together that night) and doing it here was a shock.. And a nice one for everyone in attendance..

Why it ended is pretty obvious. It had failed to deliver (the totally unrealistic) Indian uptick that Vince was after, and Bork didn't want to waste his time on Jinder McJobber.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
For all the shit we endure from WWE, I still actually cannot believe that using one of Lesnar's limited appearances on Jinder Mahal was something they annouced and thought anybody would want.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
No, but it's true that ratings and attendance were higher when Jinder was champion meaning him being champion didn't effect things as much as people like to believe. Especially since AJ hasn't increased viewership, it has gotten lower since his reign.
I remember the debunking the ratings argument by going through all the ratings for each episode of smackdown.

1-They were champions during different periods of the year. Jinder was champion during a traditionally more hot period of the year, post WM and through Summerslam. Aside from the Rumble, AJ was champion during the dead period of WWE at the end of the year.

2-Their average ratings were equivalent if I recall. Not much difference between them.

Edit: I thought you were referring to AJ’s first reign, now I’m not so sure.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts