Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fucking hell EA got absolutely buried at this hearing, keep in mind this was just a discussion of sorts and not a an actual court case or anything, but let's go down on some keynotes:

-EA Employee States "they don't refer to them as lootboxes (they have multiple times in the past)", "is a surprises mechanic" "that's quite fun"

-Likens them to LOL Surprise, Kinder Eggs

-Epic Employee present on EA's behalf nearly shuts down when rep against lootboxes mentions report of a 6 year old spending 1,600 pounds on his father's account, basically refuses to believe report (yes that actually happened)

-Epic employee blatantly lies about not making money on Fortnite due to it being F2P despite having paid items in-game, which was pointed out by rep against lootboxes

-One of the more talkative reps continuously laugh at Epic and EA throughout

\

Actual hearing stream

The negativity on lootboxes got so bad EA can't even use the words anymore and now they've been outed as lying pussies. Something is going to give on this shit, they may not go away completely, but they'll be heavily adjusted from what they currently are.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
utterly pointless action on their part. An apple is still an apple whether you call it one or something else.

that woman talking about it just the personification of the scum that EA is. "first of all, we don't call them loot boxes".....well how about you fuck right off? you do call them loot boxes and even if you don't call them that, they still are fucking loot boxes so just shut up and answer the questions without splitting hairs.

I personally don't care about loot boxes existing however they should be treated like gambling and regulated as such because thats exactly what loot boxes are......gambling, you are putting in money with no certainty of what you will get back, if anything.

If they arnt regulated then they arnt ethical imo because these fucking companies are allowed to fleece anyone they like without any kind of limitation or set of rules. There is a reason why gambling can only be done by adults.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
EA can suck it after what they and Bioware did with Anthem is all I know. This stuff I hope they get taken to the woodshed for, because they richly deserve it.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,105 Posts
im out of the loop (dont buy any new console games)

My understanding is that these Loot boxes encourage twelve year olds who buy these games to gamble. or do people actually lose money on the Boxes directly?

·
Premium Member
17,080 Posts
im out of the loop (dont buy any new console games)

My understanding is that these Loot boxes encourage twelve year olds who buy these games to gamble. or do people actually lose money on the Boxes directly?
'Loot boxes' is a term for an item you can purchase in a video game, possibly win by performing a task in the game, with real money. The loot box will contain an assortment of items that are associated with the game, dependent on the game (a new skin character, improving a perk system, new gun, etc). The assortment is often chosen randomly from an arrangement of items, sometimes themed towards a certain upgrade or theme within the game. Many loot boxes are compiled of items on a completely random basis, which yields a surprise mechanic as the buyer does not know the exact contents of their purchase.

The positives are you can get some very rare, more money or harder to come-by, items in loot boxes.

The negatives are it's random and you cannot predict what you'll receive. This is often compared to gambling in that you cannot predict what you'll receive off of a bet. There is also speculation that the randomization is rigged to exclude the more desirable of items, although this is never known to the consumer. There is also the belief that if one gamer chooses to direct purchase these contents, instead of randomized loot boxes, that gamer will be at an advantage over other games who either cannot afford to or choose not to purchase directly - refereed to as 'pay to win'.

I wanted to present it as unbiased as possible, but it's tough because I think loot boxes are predatory gambling abusing children.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EA can suck it after what they and Bioware did with Anthem is all I know. This stuff I hope they get taken to the woodshed for, because they richly deserve it.
I’m trying really hard not to be elitist here, when it generally comes to EA I give zero fucks. However, most should have known Anthem was going to be bad. Bioware are not what they once were and Mass Effect: Andromeda was a key example.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,948 Posts
I’m trying really hard not to be elitist here, when it generally comes to EA I give zero fucks. However, most should have known Anthem was going to be bad. Bioware are not what they once were and Mass Effect: Andromeda was a key example.
ME:A was flawed specifically because EA took Bioware's A and B teams off of Andromeda and put them on Anthem because EA expected a "service" game to make them more money than a single purchase game.

Even with their C team who had never made a full game before, ME:A still had some good shit in it. I'm not ready to give up on Bioware yet.

·
7,174 Posts
Anthem looked like the most generic garbage before it even released.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
good

maybe ea will focus less on shitty lootboxes and focus more on making their games decent to play both online & offline

lol jokes, they won't bother
Nope, they have had years to do so.

·
7,174 Posts
good

maybe ea will focus less on shitty lootboxes and focus more on making their games decent to play both online & offline

lol jokes, they won't bother
the only time game developers and publishers move away from lootboxes is if they get regulated to a point where they arnt profitable or something more profitable takes their place.

as long as the oil well is open for business and free to use as they please, they will milk it for as long as they can. Chances are the golden days of loot boxes are fast closing anyway, people will either get so sick of them that they wont be used because of bad image or as Ive already stated, they will get regulated to the point of strangulation. This act of sneaking in gambling under the guise of "lootboxes" to non adults can't go on. It should and likely will fall under standard gambling regulations before long which will take the wind out their sails.

at the end of the day I don't even blame them tbh, EA would be morons to not exploit something so good for business. Its all very well making games that win awards for being good games but if there is more money to be made in lootboxes then it makes more sense from a business perspective.

its basically up to everyone else to see it as unacceptable and make these fuckers jump through more hoops to get their profit. If people actually refused to purchase these lootboxes then there would be no benefit in using them, its up to the consumer to tell EA to fuck off.

some games companies probably only refuse to use them because they are worried about their image going forward and might suffer reduced business as a result of using them. I can't believe any are simply not using them just because they respect the customer (well they only respect them to keep giving them money), money is king when it comes to business calls. If there is lucrative money to made from something, its being considered.

Just look at wwe and these crown jewel shows, everything besides the sums of money being offered is screaming "don't do it" and yet they are still going out there.

·
Fighting the feeling...
2,456 Posts
ME:A was flawed specifically because EA took Bioware's A and B teams off of Andromeda and put them on Anthem because EA expected a "service" game to make them more money than a single purchase game.

Even with their C team who had never made a full game before, ME:A still had some good shit in it. I'm not ready to give up on Bioware yet.
I liked Andromeda.

Those expecting a story as good as Shepherd's in the first 3 were always going to be disappointed.

·
16,948 Posts
I liked Andromeda.

Those expecting a story as good as Shepherd's in the first 3 were always going to be disappointed.
I put 200+ hours into it over 2 playthrough a and I plan on going back for a third, it has one of the best combat systems I've ever played in a game and the exploration is great.

That game doesn't even get shit for the story, the vocal minority that hated it (it still got a 71% on Metacritic) hated it because of the animations and the supposed SJW agenda. One of Bioware's "feminazi" writers posted some supposedly misandrist tweets before the release and the game had a transgender character, so all the dude-bros were determined to hate it.

·
From parts unknown
23,212 Posts
I put 200+ hours into it over 2 playthrough a and I plan on going back for a third, it has one of the best combat systems I've ever played in a game and the exploration is great.

That game doesn't even get shit for the story, the vocal minority that hated it (it still got a 71% on Metacritic) hated it because of the animations and the supposed SJW agenda. One of Bioware's "feminazi" writers posted some supposedly misandrist tweets before the release and the game had a transgender character, so all the dude-bros were determined to hate it.
Yeah. The same.gaming community sucked Bathesda Dick for its "charming" graphic glitches for decades.

·
16,948 Posts
Yeah. The same.gaming community sucked Bathesda Dick for its "charming" graphic glitches for decades.
Yes I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time, I hadn't put two and two together yet. I thought the animations were way better than anything that had been seen in a Bethesda game up until that point, or even since then.

It never occurred to me that people would shit on a game because of what one writer said on her personal Twitter.

·
From parts unknown
23,212 Posts
Yes I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time, I hadn't put two and two together yet. I thought the animations were way better than anything that had been seen in a Bethesda game up until that point, or even since then.

It never occurred to me that people would shit on a game because of what one writer said on her personal Twitter.
Red Dead 2 is considered the Pinnacle of graphical achievement in the world... And yet it's also a fucking glitchy mess as well. But you don't hear about it.

Most hardcore gamers are a dishonest bunch. They pick their targets based on no objective criteria at all.

·
Fighting the feeling...
2,456 Posts

Wait one cotton picking minute, who was the transgender character?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts