Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm watching a local public access channel and there is a wrestling talk show on. They have a segment called random crap and mentioned Jim Neidhart under a mask as "Who" in the mid 90's in WWF. And it made me realize that just like every tag team that has ever broken up, 1 member seems to either lurk at the midcard/jobber level or creative has nothing for him. The only case I can say that both guys had singles success was maybe Edge & Christian, although Christian didn't have a lengthy World Title reign.

So, has there been a tag team in history in which both members became main event stars and has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Re: Are there any cases where a tag team breaks up and both members find singles succ

So, I'm watching a local public access channel and there is a wrestling talk show on. They have a segment called random crap and mentioned Jim Neidhart under a mask as "Who" in the mid 90's in WWF. And it made me realize that just like every tag team that has ever broken up, 1 member seems to either lurk at the midcard/jobber level or creative has nothing for him. The only case I can say that both guys had singles success was maybe Edge & Christian, although Christian didn't have a lengthy World Title reign.

So, has there been a tag team in history in which both members became main event stars and has anyone else noticed this?
Maybe the Steiner brothers to a degree. Rick never really main evented as a singles wrestler but he was good enough to be a formidable opponent against main eventers in singles matches.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Re: Are there any cases where a tag team breaks up and both members find singles succ

Edge & Christian.

Yes, Edge is obviously the more successful of the two, but Christian has had a great career, whether or not compared to Edge's. He got a big over Chris Jericho at WrestleMania XX, feuded with John Cena over the WWE Title in 2005, won the NWA Championship in 2006 and 2007, was undefeated in TNA for two years, had a lengthy run of great matches as ECW champion, against Dreamer, Swagger, Regal, and Ezekiel Jackson, won the WHC twice last year, including once from Randy Orton, and had two of the best matches of 2011 with Orton.

·
Banned
741 Posts

chris benoit and eddie guerrero if they count, other than that, i can't think of any

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I mean, are there any cases where BOTH members of the tag team became main event stars after breaking up as a tag team?

Only team comes to mind is Edge & Christian and while Christian wasn't much of a WWE main eventer, he was a big deal in TNA and is a former World Champion there.

Aside from them, nobody else comes to mind.

chris benoit and eddie guerrero if they count, other than that, i can't think of any
I don't consider that an actual tag team, aside from a few tag matches they had together over the years.

Also, another name that came to mind was Sting & Luger. Not an actual tag team but they did hold the tag titles before and both are former World Champions and where main eventers for a good 20 years.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts

Yeah. Some are better, some are worse. Beer Money has found singles success. Dudley Boys have found success, but were better s a Tag Team IMO. Steiner Bros were better as a tag team as a whole, but Scott Steiner is funny as a singles competitor. Hope WWE signs him for one more run.

·
Not Bruce Wayne
2,114 Posts

Edge and Christian.
Also, the Hardys since WWE considered the ECW title as a world title.

·
Still searching
4,391 Posts

Not so much of a proper tag team rather than 2 wrestlers put together, but Rey Mysterio and RVD held the tag titles for a bit across 04-05. Neither had won a World Title before and they both went on to win one in the next couple of years.

Can't really think of anything else.

·
Registered
221 Posts
People are saying edge and Christian but not Edge and Randy orton lol, other than them Brother of destruction and to some degree The hardy Boys.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well when thinking of tag teams, I'm referring to the Hart Foundation, Demolition, The New Age Outlaws, The Road Warriors, Doom, The APA, The Hardy's, The Dudley Boyz, RVD & Sabu, The Impact Players, Harlem Heat, The British Bulldogs, etc. Actual tag teams and not makeshift teams who where just given tag team titles.

People are saying edge and Christian but not Edge and Randy orton lol, other than them Brother of destruction and to some degree The hardy Boys.
Randy Orton was a main eventer already, at this point.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Well when thinking of tag teams, I'm referring to the Hart Foundation, Demolition, The New Age Outlaws, The Road Warriors, Doom, The APA, The Hardy's, The Dudley Boyz, RVD & Sabu, The Impact Players, Harlem Heat, The British Bulldogs, etc. Actual tag teams and not makeshift teams who where just given tag team titles.

Randy Orton was a main eventer already, at this point.
The BladeRunners were not a makeshift tag team.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
Don't you mean goham, a tag team that was known as a tag team first and then became main eventers?

If not you have Rated RKO, MegaPowers, BrosOfDestruction and numerous others. I don't think this is what you mean though.

If you mean tag first then become main eventers, I don't think its been done. Edge and Christian don't really count to me but they would probably be the closest.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Don't you mean goham, a tag team that was known as a tag team first and then became main eventers?

If not you have Rated RKO, MegaPowers, BrosOfDestruction and numerous others. I don't think this is what you mean though.

If you mean tag first then become main eventers, I don't think its been done. Edge and Christian don't really count to me but they would probably be the closest.
Again the BladeRunners in the Ultimate Warrior and Sting. What makes it more interesting is that both went on to be main eventers in different promotions.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes, that is what I mean.

The BladeRunners were not a makeshift tag team.
I didn't say they where. I'm referencing the people who say teams like Benoit & Guerrero or Edge & Rey.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts