Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1969 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Excellent. No boundaries or promotions deluding their audience they exist in their own universe - just two wrestling promotions combining their talent to hopefully put on a great show for the fans.

So many mouth watering match ups on the table.

·
The House of Black Always Wins.
19,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully they actually build to it and not just announce a bunch of matches in a void.
Special case compared to ROH this time, New Japans entire main event level roster won’t be here for months on end, the best they can do is shoot a bunch of videos to send in to air on Dynamite most likely.

·
Hardcore Casual
2,604 Posts
Excellent. No boundaries or promotions deluding their audience they exist in their own universe - just two wrestling promotions combining their talent to hopefully put on a great show for the fans.
This is actually a good point. While there is NJPW America now, for the most part, they aren't direct competitors. I say NJPW would be happy if Khan shook hands on sending AEW stars to Tokyo Dome or even (marks out) Japan National Stadium for a super card in future. I don't even particularly follow either fed and I'm on that hype train.

·
Premium Member
17,593 Posts
Special case compared to ROH this time, New Japans entire main event level roster won’t be here for months on end, the best they can do is shoot a bunch of videos to send in to air on Dynamite most likely.
They did nothing to build up ROH either. FTR vs Briscos? Nothing. Joe vs. Suzuki? Nothing. I just do not care about a bunch of matches in a vacuum with a bunch of people most of which I may have heard their name before but have no idea who they really or, or what their story is.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I’m interested in (and hope we learn) the promotional financial dynamics of this.

Is it a 50/50 split? Does that mean New Japan puts up 50 percent of the advertising fees and building rental and o production expenses — and then collects 50 percent of the profits?

Or is Tony paying a set fee to New Japan for a talent loan and taking on all expenses and keeping the profit?

(Or is it Tony pays everything for this show and keeps all the proceeds, but there’s an agreement for a show in Japan and NJPW owns that one?)

Same questions for foreign rights fees and who owns the production for library purposes, or do they both get that?

Lots of interesting things to ponder. I’m sure it will be a success but I’d love to know more of the nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What I am currently expecting in terms of a card :

-Punk VS Tanahashi (dream match main event)
-Moxley VS Okada (NJPW Title match)
-Hanger VS Ospreay (AEW Title match)
-Bryan VS ZSJ
-FTR VS United Empire
-Lee VS Ishii
-Joe VS Shingo
-Jay White, Adam Cole, Young Bucks VS G.O.D and two more who end up in their new stable.
-Hardy Boyz in some multi man tag match (maybe paired with Christian and Jurassic Express).

I don't think we get the Okada VS Punk or Danielson dream match yet, probably on a future joint supershow. Their champion probably gets a big showcase against a top AEW star who can afford the loss yet still deliver a strong match between 2 top stars, same with the AEW champion.

Mox can win in DC and use that to propel him to the Okada match. Punk loses at DoN, furthering the big names Hanger goes over on his current title reign.

Not sure if Kenny is back or not for this show. And I don't know if Takeshita might be able to take part here.

·
The House of Black Always Wins.
19,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They did nothing to build up ROH either. FTR vs Briscos? Nothing. Joe vs. Suzuki? Nothing. I just do not care about a bunch of matches in a vacuum with a bunch of people most of which I may have heard their name before but have no idea who they really or, or what their story is.
Yeah that’s what I meant, the FTR/Briscoes match should have gotten more build. This Super show on the other hand will be very hard to build week over week. In this case I think just booking a card of dream matches and showing interview packages on Dynamite works fine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cool for the smarks but again, how does this grow AEW's audience? How does this do anything for their declining TV ratings?

Also, the politics are going to be fun.
How does running a one off joint supershow hurt their product? Does it shrink their audience? Will this have a negative impact on their ratings?

·
Premium Member
17,593 Posts
Yeah that’s what I meant, the FTR/Briscoes match should have gotten more build. This Super show on the other hand will be very hard to build week over week. In this case I think just booking a card of dream matches and showing interview packages on Dynamite works fine.
It is more ADD booking. Just hurry up and throw something together vs taking the time to do it right. They had three years to put something like this together and it is going to probably end up more like the WCW Invasion without the invaders being around before the show. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I couldn't give one single shit about this at all. Plus TK lost my faith in his "big announcements". He is officially made AEW for the hardcore fan, and forgot what made AEW so special in the first place. I was starting to get excited for ROH again because the "supercard of honor" ppv was really good. I was hoping the announcement was to do about a tv deal or something. This? Whatever!

1 - 20 of 1969 Posts