Wrestling Forum banner

281 - 300 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
What was the point of doing the tournament if Yuka wins it all.

Why couldnt you have just booked Shida vs Yuka from the start seems pointless this entire thing

Considering shes already known to the audience
Expose & showcase other talent

·
Justice 4 Asuka
1,935 Posts
Rosa/Tay was better than the first match they had. I was hoping the spoilers were false. Nyla looked good but she didn't need to win this match.

Ryo/Aka Kong went a bit too long for my liking and the finish didn't make much sense.

Yuka/emi was a decent match, i like this gimmick of emi's much better than her old Freddy mercury gimmick. Yuka was the right winner here and we got to see Shida at the end which I can't complain about.

Britt/Madi is what it was considering it was a last minute put together match, perhaps if Anna was there she could've been "Kayfabe injured" by Britt before the start of the match and was giving a bye, which would've given her more heel heat than this, and they could've had Tay beat Nyla and coming for revenge for her friend, missed opportunity. Thunder Rosa probably screws her over against Nyla but it would've made far more sense if it was Tay in the match. Heel v heel doesn't make much sense.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
13,986 Posts
Only watched the American matches this week.

Tay vs Rose was pretty good. That pump-handle DDT from Tay looked great. Nyla didn't need to beat her though, this could have been an awesome win for Tay. She could've went on to face Britt this week on Dynamite in what may have been a banger. Britt vs Madi was thrown together last minute but nice win for Britt I guess.

We will see this week if those spoilers were true or not.

·
Justice 4 Asuka
1,935 Posts
Only watched the American matches this week.

Tay vs Rose was pretty good. That pump-handle DDT from Tay looked great. Nyla didn't need to beat her though, this could have been an awesome win for Tay. She could've went on to face Britt this week on Dynamite in what may have been a banger. Britt vs Madi was thrown together last minute but nice win for Britt I guess.

We will see this week if those spoilers were true or not.
I think they could've used Anna Jays injury as a storyline and been more creative about it. Basically they should've just kept it as Britt v Anna but as Anna is making her way to the ring Britt attacks her (same as what she did to Madi ) and Kayfabe injure her shoulder, and just have Britt advance because Anna is unable to compete, either that or just have Britt attack her backstage or something. That way you get more heel heat on Britt since she's responsible for her injury and it gives Britt 2 future feuds, one with Tay since Tay would be pissed at Britt because she put her friend on the shelf and one with Anna, they could've made Anna a huge sympathetic babyface coming for revenge against the biggest female heel in the division and by the time Anna comes back Britt will possibly be champ by this point so could've been a great title feud as well. Bit of a missed opportunity I think.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
13,986 Posts
I think they could've used Anna Jays injury as a storyline and been more creative about it. Basically they should've just kept it as Britt v Anna but as Anna is making her way to the ring Britt attacks her (same as what she did to Madi ) and Kayfabe injure her shoulder, and just have Britt advance because Anna is unable to compete, either that or just have Britt attack her backstage or something. That way you get more heel heat on Britt since she's responsible for her injury and it gives Britt 2 future feuds, one with Tay since Tay would be pissed at Britt because she put her friend on the shelf and one with Anna, they could've made Anna a huge sympathetic babyface coming for revenge against the biggest female heel in the division and by the time Anna comes back Britt will possibly be champ by this point so could've been a great title feud as well. Bit of a missed opportunity I think.
Yeah they definitely could have done more with it. Anna will for sure be a big babyface for the womens division when she returns though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At the start I was joking that Sakura would go all the way remembering her horrible gimmick, but she has really impressed with her heel work this tournament!
Why wasn't she always working as this queen bitch version of herself from the beginning? I was actually really sad to see her go out.

I don't think booking a babyface vs babyface title match, where they are both polite and you don't mind who wins, is going to be that exciting.
Now I'm hoping the finals is Britt vs Shida. I love everyone's ideas about using Anna Jay's injury better to get heat on Britt, defo a wasted opportunity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disapointed with Nyla beating Tay. Tay had built up a run of wins over the last few months wheras Nyla has only done the odd backstage appearance and so the momentum Tay had goes out the window and she has to start again from scratch!?.. Nyla lost to Shida in her last title match and has done nothing since so all that does is display a 'big wrestler comes back anytime and wins' mentaility. Agree with the commnets of Brit 'injuring' Anna to build heat on her; definetly an oppertunity missed.
AEW writers do seem to start storylines and then have no real idea where to take them (ie Ali leaving B&B to join QT and then just returning with no major story push..).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I wasn't impressed by Japanese women's wrestling after last week but forced myself to watch the 2 matches this time. Haven't changed my opinion its hokey shit that would fit well in the UK 80s watching giant haystacks and big daddy. First match they lacked the basics of wrestling neither could sell well and while on the floor you see them opening an eye to see where the other was. The small one is completely unbelievable. The second match was two slow slobs no selling each other half the time. One screeching like a banshee. All the posing to camera is really annoying as well. I don't mind the experiment for a change but it's all pretty bizarre stuff.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Disapointed with Nyla beating Tay. Tay had built up a run of wins over the last few months wheras Nyla has only done the odd backstage appearance and so the momentum Tay had goes out the window and she has to start again from scratch!?.. Nyla lost to Shida in her last title match and has done nothing since so all that does is display a 'big wrestler comes back anytime and wins' mentaility. Agree with the commnets of Brit 'injuring' Anna to build heat on her; definetly an oppertunity missed.
AEW writers do seem to start storylines and then have no real idea where to take them (ie Ali leaving B&B to join QT and then just returning with no major story push..).
Anna was signing autographs for like 3 hours the other night but not in an official aew merch event. Maybe hurt it there! Think she has a history of shoulder issues.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since I haven't been a fan of how they have handle this tournament from a stories perspective, I have concentrated only on the individual match quality. I have actually been impressed in that regard. It sucks that a lot of thesw matches aren't in front of a crowd or even worst, they are in a crowdless warehouse in Japan. I really think both of Emi Sakura's matches would have done well in front a live crowd. Yuka as well. Emi's new queen gimmick is a nice change up from the Fred Mercury cosplay. I hope she keeps the other Joshi's as the royal subjects. Maybe add an native English speaker as her royal orator.

The Nyla/Conti match was actually pretty good and I was surprised that they had chemistry. Britt's match was what it was. I did like the drawing on her opponents face to look like Thunder Rosa.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Did anybody notice crowd popping for Britt Baker's comeback in match vs Nyla??
Her character is that of heel but she's very entertaining at it.

·
Registered
26,389 Posts
Watching the taped shows they usually come off better mainly because even though there's no crowd, the crowd noise is always usually pretty high. It can be a bit jarring at times though it does help, as previously mentioned.

Anyways, given the Spoilers saying Nyla will advance to the Finals, I imagine someone from the Japanese side will win. I want that to be Yuka, but apparently she'll be in another tournament when Revolution is happening. So I guess it will be Ryo.....eh? Ryo's not bad but she's not really what I would call the most dynamic performer either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All these women matches in this tournament have been really good so far. You have to question why they've not been given more air time. Britt Baker / Nyla Rose was the stand out match of the show last night.

281 - 300 of 439 Posts