Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nick Jackson dropped a bit of news during a Twitter Q&A while on a flight (or layover?) -

Pretty interesting. So it would be a "season" in a way and probably have the re-set after the big PPV of the year.

Not sure I'd like this January as it would be a re-set when they're just getting the W-L records established.

If it is January then one would assume the big PPV would be December. I'd much rather the re-set be September, after the Labor Day Weekend show each year. New television seasons start, kids go back to school etc - fresh start for the roster.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love it I love it. Obviously January seems a bit early but it's the first year with T.V. so I'll let it slide. Itll be nice too because theres still a lot of learning from now til then and a nice record reset would allow for a bit of rebuilding record wise.

I'm really excited for AEWs future. Now they just need to make ref rules transparent and final with different ranges of priority to allow for referee discretion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,144 Posts
I don't like it. It'd be cool to see years long records factor into stories. Also losing the complexity of context and recency bias in records. I understand why they did it. Dumbs down the concept, easier for people to digest. So it is what it is

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,809 Posts
That's dumb imo, I would rather it be a career long thing. People who just start watching it at a random time would be able to see their career records and get an idea of the wrestler. Resetting is disappointing, wrestling doesn't have an off season.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Don't like the idea of resetting it. Then again I don't think they take the W-L all that much into consideration anyway.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^I assume they'd keep career records a thing as well. Sort of like sports leagues re-setting every season, but career records are also still a thing.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
They can have annual season records then all-time career records as well. I don't mind that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I’d prob prefer it to keep track the whole time but I get the logic behind this. It should make for good tv when guys with the same record are fighting for a title shot. I viewed the win loss thing in boxing or mma terms at first, but this is more of a team sports approach.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,104 Posts
It's a good way to build some angles. Someone with a better career record but worse yearly record could get pissed someone having a better year is getting more opportunities. Lots of ways to start feuds.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
AEW says they listen to their fans...I guess this is their chance to prove it. My vote is career record. If someone's record gets really bad come back as a masked wrestler.

·
Premium Member
16,716 Posts
If Jericho takes the aew title to NJPW, at least fights there and it's acknowledged as an aew wrestler, does that count towards his record? Same question for anyone who wrestles elsewhere but is billed as from aew.

·
Team AEW
2,909 Posts
I like it. I kinda thought they would do something like this.

People here calling it stupid, don't understand that there's really little point in holding on to these records for long. If you're challenge for the title because you're 11-0 or something, but you lose the title match - well, what's the point of your record then? After the match you go to the back of the line. There's really only recent or somewhat recent records that matter, therefore they should make that resetting option at some point.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
I'm good with this it's much easier to follow along with. I don't have the attention span to keep track of things myself. In my younger less tired days sure. but not now

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Nick Jackson dropped a bit of news during a Twitter Q&A while on a flight (or layover?) -

Pretty interesting. So it would be a "season" in a way and probably have the re-set after the big PPV of the year.

Not sure I'd like this January as it would be a re-set when they're just getting the W-L records established.

If it is January then one would assume the big PPV would be December. I'd much rather the re-set be September, after the Labor Day Weekend show each year. New television seasons start, kids go back to school etc - fresh start for the roster.
I've advocated for that for years. And when I used to publish an online newsletter in the late 90s, it was primarily dedicated to wrestler win/loss records. W/L/D records were reset at the start of every calendar year. It's the most logical thing.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts