Wrestling Forum banner

Does AEW deserve higher ratings (demo and viewership)

14301 - 14320 of 17121 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
FS1 kicked Rampage's TNT ass, simple and predictable. But it is more embarrassing and moreso when Mr. Khan is boasting bragging about kicking their ass. Rampage's numbers keep falling and falling. The show is no longer must see, it's an easy pass and is quickly becoming a televised AEW Elevation show.. What the fuck was Tony thinking having the segment of Ruby vs Bunny while Roman/Lesnar segment was on? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Rampage has never been "must see", tbf.

There was intrigue on its debut with a decent attraction in Omega vs Christian, and had that one "must see" moment in Punk's return, but, aside from that, it's been AEWs version of Velocity/Heat.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Another tick in the column that the lapsed fan base is not interested in the AEW product … no matter how good it is.

We can all list countless tv shows (and movies) that were awesome but didn’t have strong viewership.

·
Premium Member
The King Of Rants
11,340 Posts
Another tick in the column that the lapsed fan base is not interested in the AEW product … no matter how good it is.

We can all list countless tv shows (and movies) that were awesome but didn’t have strong viewership.
It isn't about how good it is, it's about whether it appeals to these fans and obviously right now it hasn't and never has. The 1.5 million that tuned in day 1 for AEW were probably mainly smarks that AEW has lost along the way.

Can anyone reasonably tell me why AEW isn't using the mainstream names they have (Jericho, Punk, Bryan, Big Show, Mark Henry, Sting, Dos Santos, VanZant etc) to market this product to a wider audience? Tony is happy to spend hundreds of thousands on Matt Hardy but it seems like he doesn't even have a publicity team in place.

·
rasslin
9,155 Posts

Good is subjective. Some people think Raw is good, some people think its shit. Regardless it is still getting viewers.

Rampage and dynamite have gotten high ratings but often times people watching don’t come back until the next big card or big signing.

Personally I think AEW caters too much towards the hardcore fanbase and has little interest in appealing to anyone outside of that bubble.

Most people (even wrestling fans) are not interested in seeing 15-20 min 6 man tags where guys dive around and roll around the arena while the ref waves and points his hands. Same goes for random Japanese guy vs an actual name. Most people watching Mox and Suzuki will ask themselves why the former unstoppable AEW champion is having this long street fight with someone they’ve never heard of who looks like their grandfather.

AEW is the bar band that never changes anything. If for some reason a bar band got to play with Jimi Hendrix, they’d still be doing their own solos and trying to hang with Jimi and getting in his way.

AEW is the basketball team that signs Lebron James but still starts the PF who was with them from day one.

None of these things are inherently “wrong” but it’s an attitude and presentation that will ultimately struggle to maintain a strong audience. AEW has CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, there is absolutely no reason to still be featuring the Dark Order for 10 mins of your program and having CM Punk go 15 mins with Evan fucking Bourne.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
36,211 Posts
Ps> i’m also gonna need receipts

if anybody wants to gloat and say we didn’t expect this - quote the post where a user said Rampage will beat smackdown

i’m with rap, lets go all in on this bitch :D
You should know by now that I ALWAYS come with receipts and numbers. I'll be back with the hilarious individual posts when we get the final number.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
TK said they won't beat smackdown but will have a better show. Did exactly that.

SD numbers are really bad even for fs1 considering Lesnar/Reigns and Becky/Sasha.

Not to mention SD is their A show with their biggest/hottest feuds which were featured as mentioned above. Rampage is not Dynamite and did around the same number as every week regardless.

The idea was to embarrass Rampage. They failed at it. But smackdown won the ratings (which was expected anyways). Everybody wins.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Have you ever thought smackdown was better than an AEW show?

Im pretty sure AEW could have Marko Stunt and Luther go for an entire hour and most aew fans would praise it over smackdown.
Overall? No. Because it isn't to me. I won't call an entire show good if it only has 1 good feud that I'm invested in. It's a proper wrestling show unlike Rampage. But I prefer Dynamite over both.

Edit: BTW I have always praised WWE and smackdown for everything they do good. I have been giving Roman nothing but compliments ever since he turned heel and started doing good work.

I'm no fanboy for any company. Im a fan of wrestling. And WWE has been shit for years whereas AEW is close to what I always wanted from my wrestling shows. Not perfect but way better than shit WWE has been serving for decades.

I switched to Xbox when ps3 was overpriced despite being a lifelong playstation fan. Then I moved to PS4 when Xbox lost their minds.

That's what a consumer is supposed to do. Blind loyalty to any brand will only lead to monopoly and
disappointment for the consumer in the long run. The businesses are supposed to cater to their market. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sad what wrestling has become in terms of the mainstream. Nobody drawing a dime. Like, holy shit. Hundreds thousands of viewers against just over one million. Really makes you wonder what happens once that older demographic dies off. Is there a new wave of wrestling fans coming up or are both sides of this argument going to be beating their chest over a 500,000 to 350,000 win in 10 years?

·
Baby It's Violence
8,856 Posts
I enjoyed Smackdown and Rampage, but you had to know Rampage was never beating Smackdown, it was obvious unless they were gonna have some huge major angle or debut. And that's fine, I never really expected it but I enjoyed Rampage more this week than the last couple.

Ratings increasing on it again is good, and that Inner Circle/America's Top Team match was way better than I expected and a good end to the show, followed by a tremendously hot segment on Dynamite. So hopefully that got some people interested.

Reactions: The Legit DMD

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,450 Posts
I just need to know HOW wrong so I can fully emphasize the magnitude of his blunders.
Yea, I can tell that you're going to be absolutely no buys tomorrow. We don't need to hear more tantrums about the ratings from you.

14301 - 14320 of 17121 Posts