Wrestling Forum banner
12761 - 12780 of 13329 Posts

·
Ho!
18,692 Posts
We're getting to what I think will be the average for Rampage. It was a weak episode, but without an actual draw on there Rampage will hover in the low-mid 600k range for awhile. Pop Bryan on there next week and watch it get high 700k/low 800k.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,718 Posts
Dave made a good point that Page’s win over Omega would mean more if Omega beat Punk/Danielson first and I agree. If Omega went thru each of them at the next 2 PPVs and then Page was the one to finally beat Kenny in May 2022 it’d make Page a mega star.

Whether Page can still be hot by then is a big question mark tho, and Kenny/Danielson really doesn’t even need a belt on the line to be a PPV match so if you are going to do that match, it’d be smart to use the belt on another match that would benefit more from it
Putting Kenny over Punk & Bryan this early may turn away viewers. It's not a great idea if they do that.

IMO you need to get Bryan away from Kenny quick so you don't have to decide on who wins in a title match. Non-title win on Grand Slam for Bryan followed by a beatdown by Andrade & his crew to put Bryan on something else for awhile, and then you re-introduce Hangman Page to confront Omega in the same segment.

Boom, you set-up Hangman/Omega & Bryan/Andrade for Full Gear.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
How about a time limit draw between Danielson and Omega? Or an Iron Man Match that finishes tied and no sudden death? Saves either of them losing, gives fans a dream match, and creates anticipation for an eventual rematch.

Iron Man Match for the belt would have to be 60 minutes. Non-title could be 30 minutes like Kenny vs. PAC. Kenny has had classic matches of both lengths with Okada (twice, one of them going 65 minutes) and PAC, and we know Danielson can do them.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
34,776 Posts
How about a time limit draw between Danielson and Omega? Or an Iron Man Match that finishes tied and no sudden death? Saves either of them losing, gives fans a dream match, and creates anticipation for an eventual rematch.

Iron Man Match for the belt would have to be 60 minutes. Non-title could be 30 minutes like Kenny vs. PAC. Kenny has had classic matches of both lengths with Okada (twice, one of them going 65 minutes) and PAC, and we know Danielson can do them.
No, because we've already seen Kenny lose to Christian. He no longer has the mystique of unbeaten champion, where that would actually be effective. Now, it would be insulting to the audience's intelligence to imply that Bryan is not better than Christian, and by proxy, Kenny.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
The Legit DMD said:
No, because we've already seen Kenny lose to Christian. He no longer has the mystique of unbeaten champion, where that would actually be effective. Now, it would be insulting to the audience's intelligence to imply that Bryan is not better than Christian, and by proxy, Kenny.
No one's intelligence is going to be insulted by this because wins and losses in pro wrestling are never perfectly consistent and no one is going to believe 'Christian > Bryan' if Bryan draws with Omega (who got his revenge win over Christian anyway). If we follow that A > B > C logic you can go as far as Orange Cassidy > Jericho > Hangman Page since OC beat Jericho (twice) who beat Hangman who lost to Jericho. But no one really believes OC > Hangman in the grand scheme of things.

The result would be effective in:

a). Keeping the belt on Kenny and not hotshotting it on to the hot new face (a very WWE tactic)
b). Keeping the Omega/Hangman arc in play and allowing it to wrap up
c). Doing the Omega/Danielson dream match while Danielson is still fresh in the promotion (and also creating anticipation for a future part 2)

Not giving the two-year Omega vs. Hangman storyline that has led to fans investing in Hangman's story would be closer to 'insulting the audience's intelligence' by denying them the payoff.

Hangman's story only makes sense if he is the one to end Omega's tyranny, otherwise all the lows and drawbacks, being made a fool of by the Elite, would have been for nothing.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,718 Posts
No one's intelligence is going to be insulted by this because wins and losses in pro wrestling are never perfectly consistent and no one is going to believe 'Christian > Bryan' if Bryan draws with Omega (who got his revenge win over Christian anyway). If we follow that A > B > C logic you can go as far as Orange Cassidy > Jericho > Hangman Page since OC beat Jericho (twice) who beat Hangman who lost to Jericho. But no one really believes OC > Hangman in the grand scheme of things.

The result would be effective in:

a). Keeping the belt on Kenny and not hotshotting it on to the hot new face (a very WWE tactic)
b). Keeping the Omega/Hangman arc in play and allowing it to wrap up
c). Doing the Omega/Danielson dream match while Danielson is still fresh in the promotion (and also creating anticipation for a future part 2)

Not giving the two-year Omega vs. Hangman storyline that has led to fans investing in Hangman's story would be closer to 'insulting the audience's intelligence' by denying them the payoff.

Hangman's story only makes sense if he is the one to end Omega's tyranny, otherwise all the lows and drawbacks, being made a fool of by the Elite, would have been for nothing.
I'll put on my booking cap for a moment. How about this:

At Grand Slam

• Bryan Danielson vs Kenny Omega - have a time limit draw/tied Ironman epic
  • After the bell, the Elite come down to beat down Bryan
  • Christian, Jurrasic Express & Punk come down but get beat down by Bucks, Good Brothers, Adam Cole & Omega
  • Hangman Page returns to a massive pop to even up the side and help the baby faces stand tall

Then at Full Gear you get below:

• Omega vs Page - AEW Title
  • Punk & Bryan vs Bucks
  • Cole vs Christian

- Jurrasic Express vs Good Brothers on Buy-in

·
Registered
919 Posts
Last WM with buyrates

WM 30 did 700k buys +670k subs to the wwe network

WM 31 did 250k buys +1.2m subs to the wwe network

WM would do a million buys regardless on who's in the main event

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
You never know. The world has changed alot since 2014 and wrestling ppvs have been on the decline. Nearly 250k for aew in 2021 is incredible. Comparing it to wrestlemania isnt fair. The fact that its beaten nearly all wwe ppvs except mania, a few summerslams and rumble this decade says alot.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
Tracking Ratings With Rap Shepard

Let's see the Rampage numbers without Punk

Rampage #1- 740k .31 demo

Dynamite 8/18- 975k .35 demo

Rampage #2 with Punk- 1.129 million .53 demo

Dynamite 8/25 with Punk- 1.172 million .48 demo

Rampage #3 no Punk- 722k .34 demo

Dynamite 9/1- 1.047 .37 demo

Rampage #4 with Punk- 696k .30 demo

Dynamite 9/8 with Punk, Bryan, and Cole- 1.31 million .53 demo

Dynamite #5 No Punk, Bryan, or Cole- 670k .27 demo

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
Absolutely. You want to keep those extra 300,000 fans? Then treat Bryan like the top star he is and give him everything. It's not like he needs a year-long reign, either. If Hangman can stay hot while Bryan is champion, then you put the belt on him later down the line, but right now, you've got to keep the casuals hooked who don't know who the fuck Hangman is. Swap the names Bryan and Jericho and I'm making the same arguments I made two years ago.
I'm of the idea that folk will watch for Bryan regardless of if he's champion or not. Because they are Bryan fans.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,231 Posts

At Grand Slam

• Christian, Jurrasic Express & Punk come down but get beat down by Bucks, Good Brothers, Adam Cole & Omega
  • Hangman Page returns to a massive pop to even up the side and help the baby faces stand tall

• Punk & Bryan vs Bucks
  • Cole vs Christian

Take my freaking money right now.

Reactions: THANOS

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I am not a punk or Bryan guy …I like them but they are not the be all and end all, but I don’t have a problem bringing them in … The only 2 things that is going to take AEW to WWE heights is 1) stumbling onto a new hogan or Austin or 2) lost fans giving them a fair chance. Neither will likely happen. I say this as a huge AEW fan and hope I am wrong.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
20,989 Posts
I am not a punk or Bryan guy …I like them but they are not the be all and end all, but I don’t have a problem bringing them in … The only 2 things that is going to take AEW to WWE heights is 1) stumbling onto a new hogan or Austin or 2) lost fans giving them a fair chance. Neither will likely happen. I say this as a huge AEW fan and hope I am wrong.
The only thing taking AEW to WWE height is simply decades of being around, having some of the best talent, promoting the shows and snapping up the younger generation. All whilst snapping up huge TV deals that rival WWE.

Until 2040 comes, they're just going to have to settle with being a better product. Which for some isn't enough.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
6,081 Posts
Let me put this shit into perspective. All Out outdid money in the bank 2011 with ppv buys and a bunch of other wwe ppvs from that era in 2021 when everyone can watch for free online at the press of a button.

I doubt the rumble could do 200k + in 2021. I dont even think mania could unless it had huge names like cena,rock etc.

This is freaking huge.
Mania is always going to pull massive numbers regardless of the card. I'm admittingly pulling this number out the air, but a realistic bottom for Mania has to be around 750k? Add in the big names and you get a million buys.

Having said all that, it's an incredible number for All Out. To beat Money in The Bank 2011, which was the most anticipated non-big 4 WWE PPV I can remember is special. As you say to do this a decade later is even more impressive. Depending on the estimate, it may also beat Elimination Chamber 2013 which featured CM Punk vs The Rock.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

At Grand Slam

• Punk & Bryan vs Bucks
  • Cole vs Christian

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Best possible move.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts

At Grand Slam

• Punk & Bryan vs Bucks
  • Cole vs Christian

This is money

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

At Grand Slam

• Punk & Bryan vs Bucks
  • Cole vs Christian

Very nice

Full Gear I'd go Jungleboy v Cole though

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Worth remembering Hogan and Austin becoming that popular was also due to the WWE tapping into the fad element of the era. They had a hot new product and marketed it to perfection - Rock n Wrestling/Sports Entertainment + WWF Attitude. It was more than just the talent or charisma of that person. For a while it was built around one person too, though that changed in the 2nd boom when Austin couldn't wrestle anymore and Rock was elevated.

You can never predict what direction society will go in and how tastes will change. Or what the children born today will be into in a decade or two. Tony Khan could find the stars simply align for him for an AEW which is nothing like we have right now. It doesn't even need to be one person. 3 or 4 top names on an equal level could equal the next Hulkamania or Austin 3:16. Or it could fizzle out and WWE makes a bunch of new stars.

In 1990 who thought WCW would eclipse the WWF and that Vince McMahon would book an edgy product involving guys being thrown off the top of 15 foot cages. In 1996 who thought The Ringmaster would hit that big and Rocky Maivia would be the biggest star in Hollywood in 25 years time. Or that TV would eclipse movies in terms of high quality and writing. Or that a small Internet book retailer and video rental by mail company would completely change industries. Or in 2011 if you were told a woman would be one of the top 5 stars in WWE and had headlined WrestleMania.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Quarter hours from Rampage show the trend that will be typical of viewership dropping as they get closer to 11pm. The 10pm timeslot is bad in that regard since it's that area of the night when many go to bed.

Hence their 'main event first' idea, at least when there is a match big enough to be clearly considered the main event. The only way they might minimize this is to load the hour with unmissable content.

They need to be pushing for a Saturday night primetime slot after they move to TBS. They have the ratings and demographics to justify it surely. Even this show in this timeslot was #3 on cable and #10 on all of TV on Friday.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
AEW is heading back to Chicago for Thanksgiving at the 11,000 capacity Wintrust Arena which they last ran for Revolution 2020 headlined by Moxley beating Jericho for the title. This will be a joint Dynamite/Rampage event.

12761 - 12780 of 13329 Posts