Wrestling Forum banner

9501 - 9520 of 9740 Posts

·
rasslin
7,182 Posts
What? @LifeInCattleClass is one of the most correct posters here. Of course this post has the "Like" of @La Parka, the user that normally likes "Silly Posts" like the one that a banned user made against me and my country.
Whining over likes now?

Someone could like a post for a number of reasons, that doesn’t mean they necessarily endorse everything the post says. Didn’t we go through this already when DC was called out for liking posts that had “******” and other slurs in them?

@RomeoBlues was not the poster you are talking about, so I’m not sure how this is all that relevant.

·
Banned
10,498 Posts
We already know the rating from last week, but Nielsen released the actual list now. It finished 9th out of 199 shows on cable in the 18-49, which is pretty good for the late timeslot.

View attachment 102570
ahh, so nielson also ranks by 18-49, wasn‘t just showbuzzdaily

well, guess that debate is also put to rest now

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Solid to land 9th
That is only because it's sorted by demo. The viewership is 17th out of 20 shows visible on that list.
If a 462k viewership with only 190k demo is enough to finish 9th. Then says a lot about the state of the whole of TV. And all these years, everyone gave and still give WWE grief for falling numbers.

The demo is not relevant for Wrestling. As you can see on that list AEW got a better demo and viewership than one of the NHL semi finals. But we all know what happened to AEW as soon as TNT got their hands on NHL.

·
Registered
139 Posts

This demo is used for advertisers.
In 2004 the TF1 CEO (one of the biggest European network), shocked the world by saying his job was to sell available brain time to advertisers like Coca-Cola.
At the end, doesn't matter the content.

The 18-49 is supposed to have much more disposable money than the 50+.
Above all, you're hitting the jackpot if you can attract female viewers (which is not the case of wrestling), and the demo 25-35.

·
Banned
10,498 Posts
This demo is used for advertisers.
In 2004 the TF1 CEO (one of the biggest European network), shocked the world by saying his job was to sell available brain time to advertisers like Coca-Cola.
At the end, doesn't matter the content.

The 18-49 is supposed to have much more disposable money than the 50+.
Above all, you're hitting the jackpot if you can attract female viewers (which is not the case of wrestling), and the demo 25-35.
yeah, no - i know

there’s been an old debate on here that ‘demo does not matter’

which it most obviously does

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
yeah, no - i know

there’s been an old debate on here that ‘demo does not matter’

which it most obviously does
It matters but not as much for wrestling. AEW just outperformed one of the NHL semi final games in both demo & viewership. This is despite them being on at 10pm and that NHL game being a semi finals meaning it should be one of the highest rated NHL games of the year based on importance. So you can imagine how low regular season games will be.

But alas, AEW was kicked off TNT and Warner only pays then $47m per yr whilst they replaced AEW with NHL and signed a deal worth over $200m a yr.

Tell us how the demo still matters so much for AEW. Advertisers do not see wrestling fans as attractive. Looking at the crowds at these shows, i can see why.

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
9,406 Posts
It matters but not as much for wrestling. AEW just outperformed one of the NHL semi final games in both demo & viewership. This is despite them being on at 10pm and that NHL game being a semi finals meaning it should be one of the highest rated NHL games of the year based on importance. So you can imagine how low regular season games will be.

But alas, AEW was kicked off TNT and Warner only pays then $47m per yr whilst they replaced AEW with NHL and signed a deal worth over $200m a yr.

Tell us how the demo still matters so much for AEW. Advertisers do not see wrestling fans as attractive. Looking at the crowds at these shows, i can see why.

Exactly. Most young wrestling fans are single, unemployed, or employed part time and live with their parents. At least according to that reddit survery. Advertisers don't give a shit about young wrestling fans lol.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
14,554 Posts
The demographic numbers still matter, and they always will too (y)

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,228 Posts
That is only because it's sorted by demo.
I love how this was completely ignored to push the Meltzer narrative. Instead of addressing the worst rating of all time, they'll say "Well, the demo was top 10!" when that obviously didn't mean a God damn thing when it came to the TV contract renegotiation. If Turner gave a fuck about the demo in comparison to multiple other factors, they wouldn't have gotten the boot for the NHL.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
This really should go without saying, but I feel I need to say it anyway; when the demo remains stable despite overall viewership numbers going down, that means that the product is becoming more niche over time.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
14,554 Posts
It’s pretty baffling to downplay the importance of the demographic numbers when they consistently do really well on them.

Not everything needs to be doom-and-gloom after all.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
I love how this was completely ignored to push the Meltzer narrative. Instead of addressing the worst rating of all time, they'll say "Well, the demo was top 10!" when that obviously didn't mean a God damn thing when it came to the TV contract renegotiation. If Turner gave a fuck about the demo in comparison to multiple other factors, they wouldn't have gotten the boot for the NHL.
It's pretty much only because of the demo that TNT took the NHL

·
Banned
10,498 Posts
Wrestling demos don't matter because advertisers view wrestling as a low brow form of entertainment and don't spend much money on it.
so i guess impact with a lower demo makes the same money of ad spend per minute than Dynamite? (average By audience number of course ) :unsure:

·
Registered
29,188 Posts
It’s pretty baffling to downplay the importance of the demographic numbers when they consistently do really well on them.

Not everything needs to be doom-and-gloom after all.
They do great demo wise and should be praised for that. But it should also be noted that some products matter draw more ad money even with a lower demo.
It's pretty much only because of the demo that TNT took the NHL
Which means demo isn't cut and dry
so i guess impact with a lower demo makes the same money of ad spend per minute than Dynamite? (average By audience number of course ) :unsure:
Of course not, because they're a lower hell muuuuuch lower wrestling demo. For whatever reason though, niche hockey draws more ads than slightly less niche hockey... Maybe wrestling shows should happen on ice

·
Banned
10,498 Posts
No one is saying a 0.19 in wrestling is = value to a 0.19 in hockey

but sports is generally the highest value

At the same time, anybody is gonna have a fucker of a time to convince me that a 0.19 in wrestling is worth less than a 0.19 in ‘Guy Fieri’s diner drive-ins and dives’ for example

hope that clears it up for everybody

9501 - 9520 of 9740 Posts