Wrestling Forum banner

4821 - 4840 of 5353 Posts

·
rasslin
6,036 Posts
You're just full of shit if you really don't think WWE fans have used football and competition as an excuse for YEARS.
You're also full of shit if you keep denying how political drama/competition does impact rating, desperate enough to prove a non-existent point?

Like I said, there's been many bad shows or bad shows follow-up that got in the 700k range, you don't see excuses for it, and go back to the earlier days before the pandemic.
Did you see people making excuses?
If at this point your thick skull can't comprehend that there are stuff out there that can impact ratings besides the quality of the product, there's no point debating a biased AEW fans-hater. I'll tell you this again, try some objectivity.
You’re completely misrepresenting reality.

I’ll say this again. Please read it carefully before you yet again come back with some tired ass excuse as to why your favourite television show is watched by few people.

WWEs fan base is critical of their product. They admit that the product is flawed and the low ratings are a reflection of the bad product. They have never used weather, political happenings, sports or anything else as to why the ratings were CONSISTENTLY bad.

AEWs fan base is not critical at all and you saying they are is just a blatant lie. Please show me the posts from DC, Cass, Erick, sddollar, pippen or any AEW cultist where they admit that the low rating is because of bad booking, bad talent or anything else that would be a reflection of the product that AEW is producing. Everytime AEW has a bad ratings it’s because of some external force that has nothing to do with the brand that has Luther main event or a man dressed in a mascot outfit.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Pip it may be unreasonable now, but if they are still doing these numbers in 2023 or 4 it will be concerning
Not necessarily. I don't think anyone expects cable ratings to climb. It's a fading medium. Wrestling is underperforming somewhat from a live aspect. But the impact of the pandemic and regularly defeating a WWE show in both viewership and demo could be factored in as positives. As could being a provider of original content, every week, throughout 2020.

There's also the brand and asset building. AEW and their association with other brands and growing presence on social media.

Look at it like this. Meltzer claims WWE will increase its rights fees from NBCUniversal in 2023. So more than 300 million per year. And that's based off a show with no direct wrestling competition and 1.8 million viewers today. If that holds true then collectively the AEW brand is undervalued at 45 million. Especially if all these working agreements develop.

·
Registered
13,918 Posts
Good for AEW to remain in the top 5 for the night! TNT has to be happy to have a top 10 program every Wednesday night.
TNT only care about profits. TNT don’t give a shit if a show is on a gossip rag’s top five shows watched by cat owners if it doesn’t mean shit for ad revenue.

I have him on ignore. Doesn't resort to name calling & abuse too often so won't be banned but does spread misinformation
I fight the spread of misinformation as best I can.

No. That's my ruling. Pippen94 asked me to get you lot to stop calling him a kid in private. I said I will but they are allowed to do it in rants.

As for why they were banned that's already been discussed ad nauseum

As for logic you still got shed and right and rap and boss. They're just way more centrist and balanced in their criticisms.

@Pippen94 No I didn't just pick 1 million because it looks pretty and is a nice round number. Given the size of America and the reach of their direct competition in the WWE they should be easily matching main roster numbers by now.

There's absolutely no excuse to get under a million. I don’t care if tnt are fine with that,

I don't want aew to be the new impact where they're just complacent and happy to just exist. I want aew to REALLY challenge WWE.

I want AEW to eventually be recognised like the WWE.

You may just be okay with aew never touring the world or being a recognisable brand or being synonymous with wrestling like WWE is but that doesn't mean the entire aew fanbase is.

Oh and no that doesn't mean I'm a hater and think they're failing or that I want them to fail or any other nonsense like that. It just means I want them to have the mentality of the skys the limit and not just rest on their laurels
For the record, I have never called Pippen a kid. Your criticisms of AEW here are good.

There's no science behind what you're saying. You're just looked at smack down & said aew should do that. That's basically pulling number out of nowhere.

It ignores realities such as wwe brand existing nationally since about 1983 & has had far longer to build fanbase - this can be seen in considerably older average age of viewers.
It ignores aew faces direct competition every week that we know from real data stops the show reaching a million or there abouts. How much would raw drop with competition??
Also, cable medium is declining with aew at some points last year confounding trend of wwe & all live sports by actually growing just slightly.

TNT has everything to gain from company growing so their expectations should be realistic but also ambitious. Your expectations far exceed this.

If you touched on any of these issues & looked at views of vested parties you'd have a considered & informed opinion - you don't.
It’s not pulling a number out of nowhere. It’s taking a wrestling program’s number and using that as the barometer, which is not inappropriate.

I don’t know why people think that the WWE being a dinosaur is automatically a good thing for them.

AEW will be doing 1.1-1.2 mil viewers a week after USA cancels NXT.

Raw will be down to that number in 2 years.
I don’t know why people think that the Raw number is going to keep dropping past AEW’s number. If Raw drops, expect AEW to drop in a relative way. Maybe not as fast or as stark, but Raw won’t be getting 750k while AEW is still getting that number.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Not necessarily. I don't think anyone expects cable ratings to climb. It's a fading medium. Wrestling is underperforming somewhat from a live aspect. But the impact of the pandemic and regularly defeating a WWE show in both viewership and demo could be factored in as positives. As could being a provider of original content, every week, throughout 2020.

There's also the brand and asset building. AEW and their association with other brands and growing presence on social media.

Look at it like this. Meltzer claims WWE will increase its rights fees from NBCUniversal in 2023. So more than 300 million per year. And that's based off a show with no direct wrestling competition and 1.8 million viewers today. If that holds true then collectively the AEW brand is undervalued at 45 million. Especially if all these working agreements develop.
But it's costing TNT far more than 45m..

By same logic NXT should be in for huge tv rights rise because they are doing 1/3 viewers of Raw but that's not how tv works.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
But it's costing TNT far more than 45m..

By same logic NXT should be in for huge tv rights rise because they are doing 1/3 viewers of Raw but that's not how tv works.
Not sure what the end number TNT is paying for AEW (per annum). All I read was 45 million per year. WWE got 265 million + whatever NXT is commanding ($30 at a reasonable estimate). NXT would be packaged with Raw because theoretically it compliments the package and asset building as streaming services take center stage, but doesn't rank high in the key demographics. AEW is itself a package deal - unlike NBC, Warner has 100% access to the franchise. It's growing in terms of creating more and more content. Then even more content if the tie-in's with other promotions develops. Of course all of this could collapse and they get booted off TNT/Warner Media. But if WWE content is that valuable then I fail to see how the AEW franchise isn't worth 50% more.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I mean we can argue back and forth what TNT is and would be happy with, but isn't the answer simply in the following:

WarnerMedia has greenlit a second AEW show on one of its platforms (probably TNT or TBS)

That is the most conclusive evidence we have that Warner has pleased with what AEW is delivering. It's relatively cheap for them and is one of their highest rating cable originals.

As for what TNT will or won't be happy with two or three years from now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the trend for live/same day TV ratings - sports included - not down, down, down in the USA? So 750k in 2023 may actually be better than 750k in 2021.
Its hilarious you guys say this.. yet so many are convinced NXT is gonna get cancelled despite NBCU having like 7 different WWE shows.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
You’re completely misrepresenting reality.

I’ll say this again. Please read it carefully before you yet again come back with some tired ass excuse as to why your favourite television show is watched by few people.

WWEs fan base is critical of their product. They admit that the product is flawed and the low ratings are a reflection of the bad product. They have never used weather, political happenings, sports or anything else as to why the ratings were CONSISTENTLY bad.

AEWs fan base is not critical at all and you saying they are is just a blatant lie. Please show me the posts from DC, Cass, Erick, sddollar, pippen or any AEW cultist where they admit that the low rating is because of bad booking, bad talent or anything else that would be a reflection of the product that AEW is producing. Everytime AEW has a bad ratings it’s because of some external force that has nothing to do with the brand that has Luther main event or a man dressed in a mascot outfit.
That wasn't the point of whole this and you know it. You're also representing reality when I've seen people cry IN THIS THREAD about how we should consider RAW's football competition when it's lowest reach AEW's highs.

The point was that instead of an expected 850K you end up with a 750K on an episode when things happen in the real world and news are dominating the ratings. Is it such a hard concept to understand? Nobody's saying they will be scoring 1m+ (vs direct competition, at least) with what they are offering now, but to deny facts like other stuff on TV THAT USUALLY ISN'T are important considerations and eat away from their viewership is ridiculous.
It's beyond ridiculous. One week you barely have any of the news shows in the top rankings, the next week riots break and you have 35/50 most watched shows all news, nd yet you come in here and expect it not to eat away at all from wrestling viewership. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Kind of late to the party, but why are people blaming the shitty rating AEW got this week on the storm thats happening in the US when the storm has not affected the ratings of RAW or Smackdown this week at all?
Because they don't research. Raw is down from a .79 to .57 (-28%), Smackdown down from .7 to .5 (-29%), and NXT down from .25 to .16 (-36%) from last years. AEW, .31 to .31, no change. If you want to factor in viewership as a whole, Raw down from 2,437,333 to 1,810,333, Smackdown down from 2,484,000 to 2,071,500 (-17%), Dynamite down from 893,000 to 747,000 (-16%), and NXT down 794,000 to 713,000 (-10%).

Really the only excuse that can be made for anything is NXT had a huge lead in and, as the QHs show, it dropped dramatically by the end of the first hour which skewed their #s up. But those viewers weren't AEW viewers, so what is the point of an excuse?

Bottom line though is that a year ago Raw drew 1,544,363 more viewers than AEW, this year only 1,063,333. Last year Raw drew .48 more in the rating, this year it is only .26.

So in one year AEW has cut Raws lead in the demo in 1/2 and viewership by 1/3rd. The same rating last year got AEW 5th, this year 4th, so clearly TV overall is down, that is why the same rating got AEW a higher placing this year.

Doesn't feel shitty at all. Again, no understanding why they would need to make any excuses for success.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Because they don't research. Raw is down from a .79 to .57 (-28%), Smackdown down from .7 to .5 (-29%), and NXT down from .25 to .16 (-36%) from last years. AEW, .31 to .31, no change. If you want to factor in viewership as a whole, Raw down from 2,437,333 to 1,810,333, Smackdown down from 2,484,000 to 2,071,500 (-17%), Dynamite down from 893,000 to 747,000 (-16%), and NXT down 794,000 to 713,000 (-10%).

Really the only excuse that can be made for anything is NXT had a huge lead in and, as the QHs show, it dropped dramatically by the end of the first hour which skewed their #s up. But those viewers weren't AEW viewers, so what is the point of an excuse?

Bottom line though is that a year ago Raw drew 1,544,363 more viewers than AEW, this year only 1,063,333. Last year Raw drew .48 more in the rating, this year it is only .26.

So in one year AEW has cut Raws lead in the demo in 1/2 and viewership by 1/3rd. The same rating last year got AEW 5th, this year 4th, so clearly TV overall is down, that is why the same rating got AEW a higher placing this year.

Doesn't feel shitty at all. Again, no understanding why they would need to make any excuses for success.
No. AEW hasn't done anything.

You're acting like AEW is catching up to RAW when it's RAW sinking down to AEW's level. Saw this coming a mile away.

·
Registered
13,918 Posts
It was the best people could come up with this week..
Raw even went up, I think.

Its hilarious you guys say this.. yet so many are convinced NXT is gonna get cancelled despite NBCU having like 7 different WWE shows.
Yeah, it’s kind of funny how TNT must be in love with AEW to be featuring two shows that cost $45 million when NBCU is spending upwards of $265 million per year on WWE programming but are just waiting to cancel them.

That wasn't the point of whole this and you know it. You're also representing reality when I've seen people cry IN THIS THREAD about how we should consider RAW's football competition when it's lowest reach AEW's highs.

The point was that instead of an expected 850K you end up with a 750K on an episode when things happen in the real world and news are dominating the ratings. Is it such a hard concept to understand? Nobody's saying they will be scoring 1m+ (vs direct competition, at least) with what they are offering now, but to deny facts like other stuff on TV THAT USUALLY ISN'T are important considerations and eat away from their viewership is ridiculous.
It's beyond ridiculous. One week you barely have any of the news shows in the top rankings, the next week riots break and you have 35/50 most watched shows all news, nd yet you come in here and expect it not to eat away at all from wrestling viewership. Ridiculous.
Those responds are usually in retaliation to the excuses AEW fanboys have for AEW. Raw will be mocked and then someone will bring up what’s good for the goose. We’re talking generalisations here, but you’ve taken this largely out of context.

Even guys like Brandon Thurston are coming out now and popping the “News disrupts people’s habits” myth bubble. It doesn’t. Stop with this. And yes, people do act as if AEW would be batting over 1 million if it weren’t for the news, sport, NXT and the weather. People can watch the news whenever. They don’t have to sacrifice their originally scheduled programming anymore.

More people watching the news doesn’t mean fewer people watching wrestling.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Those responds are usually in retaliation to the excuses AEW fanboys have for AEW. Raw will be mocked and then someone will bring up what’s good for the goose. We’re talking generalisations here, but you’ve taken this largely out of context.

Even guys like Brandon Thurston are coming out now and popping the “News disrupts people’s habits” myth bubble. It doesn’t. Stop with this. And yes, people do act as if AEW would be batting over 1 million if it weren’t for the news, sport, NXT and the weather. People can watch the news whenever. They don’t have to sacrifice their originally scheduled programming anymore.

More people watching the news doesn’t mean fewer people watching wrestling.
You're talking genenralisation...at least you realize it :LOL:

lmao.. way to bury yourself, because considering they did do 1m+ viewers unopposed and under "normal" conditions, there is no reason to think they wouldn't do it again. News and NXT do eat away from their live viewership.. I swear it's like talking to a wall with you people insisting on pretending to know what affects viewership when you throw logic and just observation out the window.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
No. AEW hasn't done anything.

You're acting like AEW is catching up to RAW when it's RAW sinking down to AEW's level. Saw this coming a mile away.
Didn't say they did much, although they did. But 4-6 years from now it will be extremely interesting whether you want to admit it or not.

·
Registered
13,918 Posts
You're talking genenralisation...at least you realize it :LOL:

lmao.. way to bury yourself, because considering they did do 1m+ viewers unopposed and under "normal" conditions, there is no reason to think they wouldn't do it again. News and NXT do eat away from their live viewership.. I swear it's like talking to a wall with you people insisting on pretending to know what affects viewership when you throw logic and just observation out the window.
I’m responding to your generalisations, champ. Even those sympathetic towards AEW are backing away from the news excuse, because it’s just not true.

Huh? So you are saying they would get 1 million views if the obstacles AEW’s mediocrity were removed? You were just saying that no one was saying that. Which is it?

We weren’t talking NXT. You’ve just tried to sneak that in lol. We were talking the news. It doesn’t hurt AEW much at all.

·
rasslin
6,036 Posts

Where in this thread is anyone saying that a football game is the ONLY reason why Raw had a bad rating? AEW fans would use a football game as the ONLY reason as to why AEW had a low rating, while WWE fans will admit that a certain show had a low rating partly because of another event but would still overall say the main reason behind the low ratings are because the show is dog shit and has been dog shit for many years.

The same cannot be said for AEW fans. Sure politics/ sports can somewhat hurt the ratings of show but AEW fans act like there is no internal problem with AEW and the program is great when the reality is, the reason why AEW has bad ratings is the same reasons why Raw gets bad ratings. The shows are poor excuses for wrestling programs.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Where in this thread is anyone saying that a football game is the ONLY reason why Raw had a bad rating? AEW fans would use a football game as the ONLY reason as to why AEW had a low rating, while WWE fans will admit that a certain show had a low rating partly because of another event but would still overall say the main reason behind the low ratings are because the show is dog shit and has been dog shit for many years.

The same cannot be said for AEW fans. Sure politics/ sports can somewhat hurt the ratings of show but AEW fans act like there is no internal problem with AEW and the program is great when the reality is, the reason why AEW has bad ratings is the same reasons why Raw gets bad ratings. The shows are poor excuses for wrestling programs.
Just on this topic why do you think raw has been shedding viewers at an amazing rate for past few years??

·
Registered
13,918 Posts
Just on this topic why do you think raw has been shedding viewers at an amazing rate for past few years??
It’s a combination of the show being shit, it being three hours of shit, cable cutting, audience fatigue, other mediums coming in, and other entertainment being preferred. None of this is a big revelation. But most of it is true with AEW too — it’s just not three hours.

·
Registered
Moxley's #1 fan
2,027 Posts
People actually saying this is a good rating two weeks out from a PPV. Get the goofs off TV. No more Trashidy, no more Luther, no more Marko, no more Jelly. Empty the trash can and put a new liner in. It is time to bring someone in who knows how to produce and lay out a television show.
Agreed, the geeks are killing the ratings, the cross promotion crap is too...Also i never wanna see trash like Nyla and Sonny in TV again either

4821 - 4840 of 5353 Posts