Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 14305 Posts

·
Administrator
38,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Keep this on topic. Any off topic posts directed at posters will result in you being removed from the thread.

·
Ho!
18,839 Posts
I can’t remember if I commented on it, but this week’s number wasn’t good. I’ll maybe chalk it up to a weak anniversary show lowering interest for this week, but next week will be interesting. This week’s show was good, but there are already spoilers out for next week (if those in other thread were accurate). That may have a slight negative impact. Not sure tbh. I’ll predict a little better next week, and if the show is quality stuff then I think they’ll be back over 800k the week after.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
The thread that keeps on giving

lets all make a ‘no concern trolling‘ pact?
And the first post is spam. Get out of here, Cattle.

I can’t remember if I commented on it, but this week’s number wasn’t good. I’ll maybe chalk it up to a weak anniversary show lowering interest for this week, but next week will be interesting. This week’s show was good, but there are already spoilers out for next week (if those in other thread were accurate). That may have a slight negative impact. Not sure tbh. I’ll predict a little better next week, and if the show is quality stuff then I think they’ll be back over 800k the week after.
I’m fascinated by next week’s rating. They’re not going to be happy if it goes down (obviously), but they took some chances on some “attention grabbing” shit.

I’m not sure if being taped is going to hurt them, to be honest. The base is too loyal right now. And the way modern wrestling works, being live doesn’t seem to be as important for them. I think this has proven true for WWE too, where their taped shows don’t now drop-off like they used to.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
If shows continue to be poor over the next couple of years you can expect them to go below 500k easy.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
That measure of time is one of the hardest things to call. And so many factors can effect it. Like, say Jericho blows up and JR leaves, a scandal comes out about a top talent or the EVPs go sideways. When the “pristine” image of the company goes, the extreme loyalty could die off REALLY quickly. But if things keep chugging along as are, when does this thing start to feel like “Okay, this is not going to get better” and start turning people off?

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
That measure of time is one of the hardest things to call. And so many factors can effect it. Like, say Jericho blows up and JR leaves, a scandal comes out about a top talent or the EVPs go sideways. When the “pristine” image of the company goes, the extreme loyalty could die off REALLY quickly. But if things keep chugging along as are, when does this thing start to feel like “Okay, this is not going to get better” and start turning people off?
It hasn’t turned you or any of the other usual suspects off yet. And let’s face it, if AEW died, what would you hate post about 8-900 times a month?

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
It hasn’t turned you or any of the other usual suspects off yet. And let’s face it, if AEW died, what would you hate post about 8-900 times a month?
Oh no, they’ve completely lost me. I don’t give that promotion a cent. The whole “See you next week!” thing was really cute when people said that about the WWE a few years ago too.

I’d probably turn most of my attention back to WWE or try and find an outlet to really explore classic wrestling.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
Then Jericho went on Twitter and lied about the minute-to-minutes being higher, completely shitting on everyone else.

(Yeah, it’s his “gimmick” and he can say he doesn’t “mean” it. But it’s still shitty and embarrassing for your top heel to do.)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Then Jericho went on Twitter and lied about the minute-to-minutes being higher, completely shitting on everyone else.

(Yeah, it’s his “gimmick” and he can say he doesn’t “mean” it. But it’s still shitty and embarrassing for your top heel to do.)
I thought I would never have to see that Jericho has to defend himself on Twitter. Why do this? Whats the point? People reading this watched it anyways, sad state of affairs:

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
I seriously think some people just reach an age where what they’ve done and who they are doesn’t match up with who they want to be.

Jericho obviously cares about what people think of him. And that’s fine. Some people do and some people don’t. He obviously does, because he drunk tweets people who don’t like his work offering them jobs.

He wants people to like him. The wrestling fans, Dave Meltzer, the wrestling world. That’s why his feathers get so ruffled when someone doesn’t.

That and he never made it in show business. Fozzy has always been seen as a bit of a joke (sorry to people who like them), and all his other forays have kind of stopped really short.

It’s a mid-life crisis, basically. Vanity and self-consciousness colliding.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
So as I been saying for weeks it's very tough for shows to do big viewership numbers on cable networks. That don't have big consistent viewership numbers or aren't use to watching that programming channel for many years.

Well Smackdown on FS1 this week did 881,000 and .25 in 18 to 49 not going head to head with another wrestling show. You take away the bump WWE gets from being on USA for so many years. With those same casual fans who been watching wrestling for so many years. Or take them off major network that everything in prime time does near 2 million people. Well AEW numbers don't look so bad lol.

I didn't make this post to get this thread haywire again. Just posting some facts on the ratings and why they are the way they are. You put Smackdown on FS1 weekly the numbers are very close to AEW and they lose in demos. For all the reasons I mentioned above. End of discussion.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So as I been saying for weeks it's very tough for shows to do big viewership numbers on cable networks. That don't have big consistent viewership numbers or aren't use to watching that programming channel for many years.

Well Smackdown on FS1 this week did 881,000 and .25 in 18 to 49 not going head to head with another wrestling show. You take away the bump WWE gets from being on USA for so many years. With those same casual fans who been watching wrestling for so many years. Or take them off major network that everything in prime time does near 2 million people. Well AEW numbers don't look so bad lol.

I didn't make this post to get this thread haywire again. Just posting some facts on the ratings and why they are the way they are. You put Smackdown on FS1 weekly the numbers are very close to AEW and they lose in demos. For all the reasons I mentioned above. End of discussion.
Stop being so sensible pal, it's frowned upon here.

I think Dynamite's numbers have been consistently good (not great but far from bad) if you ignore the peak of the first few weeks and trough of the early pandemic era. It would be good to see some growth, getting to a million regularly would be an impressive start, but I can't see that without audiences and with competition. Hopefully 2021 gives them a better opportunity to do so.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts

These aren’t really “facts.” You don’t get to end the discussion. It’s frustrating that people go into tirades about how I (and possibly some others perceived to think like me) allegedly act like our opinions are facts. Here you have someone flat-out saying that what they think is a fact.

The average show on FS1 does 319k viewers. SmackDown did ALMOST TRIPLE that. On a channel it isn’t usually on, from a network whose viewers don’t necessarily have cable.

Those are “facts.” What’s wrong with those facts? When presented, they don’t make your opinion look so good, do they?

I don’t get why people think that longevity on television breeds success. Is there any evidence to support this suggestion at all? Raw has fun off MILLIONS of viewers. No one is obligated to watch it. It also had millions of viewers to run off, something AEW doesn’t have. It’s not necessarily going to get the chance to get so stale even if you want to argue that people are going to be robots programmed to stick with it in 27 years

Stop being so sensible pal, it's frowned upon here.

I think Dynamite's numbers have been consistently good (not great but far from bad) if you ignore the peak of the first few weeks and trough of the early pandemic era. It would be good to see some growth, getting to a million regularly would be an impressive start, but I can't see that without audiences and with competition. Hopefully 2021 gives them a better opportunity to do so.
The thing is, WWE are not going to let them go unopposed. Raw is too valuable to USA and WWE makes too much money to not be able to afford keeping that slot. They can afford to give NXT away for nothing (hypothetically) which makes them better value for the slot than Dynamite is to TNT.

If TNT decides to move Dynamite, the WWE can just move NXT or put another show opposite it. The WWE will know who attracts the best “demos” on their roster. You’ll have your Matt Riddle and Angel Garza on there. As well as likely some big stars that appeal to the hardcore fan — Daniel Bryan, Rey Mysterio, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn. They’ll pop Roman on a few shows and get Brock and Ronda if they can.

Dynamite is toast in that situation. I know people want to compare 881k on FS1 and think it has a chance, but if they do just double USA’s average, they’ll be getting 2.5 million against Dynamite those first weeks. It seems to have a similar demo rating to Dynamite. It could probably get a 0.7 or something against Dynamite and it’s usual 750k/0.3. It won’t be a pretty story.

I don’t really see a clear path up for AEW. This is why they needed to be big and good out the gate. Their best advantage was going to be providing content that the WWE were just not going to, and galvanising the exhausted wrestling fan. Many fans seem exhausted by them now (whether or not you agree with them or not, it’s hard to deny that there are lots of valid criticisms going around), and the content is getting similar to the point Mike Semperveve is going on Observer Radio and basically saying “This wrestling probably isn’t for everyone, it isn’t going to change, so please stop criticising it because it makes people sad.”

1 - 20 of 14305 Posts