Wrestling Forum banner

481 - 500 of 1342 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Decent rating. Interesting to see them staying in the mid 800s to mid 900s range now. Much better than April/May when they used to yoyo up and down significantly.

Holy shit, I watched the debate live but I didn't realize it did 73 million viewers, that's absolutely insane.
It's misleading. The debate is shown on basically most of the major channels at same time so basically anyone that has their TV on is watching unless you actively avoid it. I'm sure if they put AEW or WWE on all the major channels at the same time. The ratings would at least treble...

But yes Trump is no doubt a draw. He achieved the highest Wrestlemania PPV buy in history for his hair vs hair match and ratings were high whenever he showed up on Raw. This was all before he even got into politics and got more hated/loved.

The vice presidential debate will have nowhere near as much interest as Trump is the draw. Always has been.

·
Premium Member
14,112 Posts
Because calling it a massive W is a massive overstatement. Its pretty well established pro wrestling is now extremely niche and the same 800K are gonna watch AEW as the same 1.5-2.0 million watch WWE every week regardless of what sports are on.
ive always said raw is doing relatively well

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
AEW definitely shares more fans with NBA than NXT. Young crowds in both.

I feel like NXT shares their fans more with sports like NASCAR and shows like Dancing With The Stars
NBA barely has a young fanbase. The average age of an NBA fan is 42 years old.

AEW fans are 48 years old so AEW doesn't actually have a young fanbase. It's fanbase is old as well. It's "young" if you're comparing it to other wrestling companies.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
11,502 Posts
NBA barely has a young fanbase. The average age of an NBA fan is 42 years old.

AEW fans are 48 years old so AEW doesn't actually have a young fanbase. It's fanbase is old as well. It's "young" if you're comparing it to other wrestling companies.

Nah it’s just that the younger audience don’t have cable boxes. I would bet money that 95% of people who are under 40 on this forum and outside of it don’t watch Dynamite or NXT on cable tv. You’re crazy if you think there are only 50 year olds watching every week.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Nah it’s just that the younger audience don’t have cable boxes. I would bet money that 95% of people who are under 40 on this forum and outside of it don’t watch Dynamite or NXT on cable tv. You’re crazy if you think there are only 50 year olds watching every week.
But doesn’t Dave say they count the streaming services also?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
50 year olds weren't mentioned anywhere in my comment. I showed that the AEW fanbase is 48 years old which isn't young like so many fans want to believe that AEW has this "young fanbase" when the fanbase itself is old. Granted 48 years old is still younger than the 58 year olds who watch NXT but old people watch Dynamite as well. Dynamite's viewers are old, I mean they're 48 years old. Thats not young by any stretch.

The percentage of streamers is lower since most people still watch tv, BUT there are streamers who watch Dynamite but they're not as numerous as some like to believe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seems like a good week for wrestling with RAWs number and then AEW/NXT combining for 1.6 million.

Can't believe people argue because they want one or the other to go out of business. They can both exist and alternatives are good thing for pro wrestling as a whole.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Stop being such a dusthead brother. Orange Cassidy is for the youngsters - the people AEW should be drawing (I’d say 13-30). Orange Cassidy draws. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on what side you lie on.

I’d say most of us grew up on the Atittude Era. We were all kids. I bet the old dust heads on the early internet boards were complaining back then as well.
1 million viewers is NOT drawing. Holy shit, can you please learn terminology and use it correctly? It's just so fucking annoying when people get this basic shit wrong. I also loathe the lazy "wrestling needs to get people when they are kids" argument I see bullshit social media "influencers" try and spread. No, this shit is worse and it's far less popular than it's ever been.

·
Premium Member
14,112 Posts
1 million viewers is NOT drawing. Holy shit, can you please learn terminology and use it correctly? It's just so fucking annoying when people get this basic shit wrong. I also loathe the lazy "wrestling needs to get people when they are kids" argument I see bullshit social media "influencers" try and spread. No, this shit is worse and it's far less popular than it's ever been.
1 million is drawing when AEWs average audience is 800k my guy. That’s 200k surplus. Stop being a dusthead.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
1 million is drawing when AEWs average audience is 800k my guy. That’s 200k surplus. Stop being a dusthead.
Lol, "Well, we had three people here last week -- this week we've got FOUR! Must be a draw." Yes, I am the dusthead. You are still an apologist with increasingly little to cling onto. This project is uninspiring and has not generated anywhere near the interest expected or desired. Wrestling is colder than it has ever been. It's only going to get colder because of more bad content stretching the attention spans of a dwindling audience. You are now getting excited about 1 million fans, many of which are probably mocking the product or tuning in for bigger stars only to see how fat/washed up they've gotten.

There has been no trend of growth. There has been no revolution. There has been no indicator of progress. This thing is stagnant and it's not even fun to talk about how stagnant it is anymore. Onto the next thing. Bring on the next billionaire, please. We're done with this clown (as someone eloquently described him).

Wrestling needs to evolve. ;-)

·
Premium Member
14,112 Posts
Lol, "Well, we had three people here last week -- this week we've got FOUR! Must be a draw." Yes, I am the dusthead. You are still an apologist with increasingly little to cling onto. This project is uninspiring and has not generated anywhere near the interest expected or desired. Wrestling is colder than it has ever been. It's only going to get colder because of more bad content stretching the attention spans of a dwindling audience. You are now getting excited about 1 million fans, many of which are probably mocking the product or tuning in for bigger stars only to see how fat/washed up they've gotten.

There has been no trend of growth. There has been no revolution. There has been no indicator of progress. This thing is stagnant and it's not even fun to talk about how stagnant it is anymore. Onto the next thing. Bring on the next billionaire, please. We're done with this clown (as someone eloquently described him).

1 person is not the same as 200k.

Pro wrestling needs to evolve. Not be stuck in the past.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
This is a really good point. I've just moved house and myself and the Mrs had a discussion about if we actually needed TV stations. I have a subscription for my sporting channels, two movie/TV show subscriptions with hundreds of hours of content from some of he greatest films/TV of all time and I can get all this for like 40-50 dollars a month as opposed to the 80 dollars a month it'd cost to get cable (Which isn't on demand mind you)

There is an occasional special or program that might get on Foxtel (Our cable system) but I know that on the 4-5 times a year that actually occurs I can simply seek it out online at a later date or if worst comes to worst make a call to my Grandma and have her record it for me (Even that seems super outdated though)

I don't know anyone in my age bracket that really watches TV anymore. I work with a ton of men in the 18-40 demographic and they'll ask you if you've seen the latest YouTuber/Viral Video/Netflix Series before mentioning TV. Only people I know actually watching TV are peoples parents and even then my mum is 62 and much prefers Netflix over TV.

Look at it from this perspective (This is what I think Wood is getting at)

Your local independent draws 80 people and suddenly for a couple shows in a row they draw 100 before falling back to 75-80 again. Is that "drawing"? Yeah okay, technically they've drawn more people so I guess it is but wouldn't real true drawing be 200-300 people? Wouldn't jaw dropping drawing be 500-600 people coming out to every show because they just can't get enough?

Same with AEW, yeah okay they're drawing a million people but when WWE has tens of millions of people domestically and internationally watching their show a million people really is just a drop in the ocean. Especially if you consider Prosper's point above about streaming and the youth finding ways to watch on their laptops/phones as opposed to on TV.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

Don't watch then

·
Premium Member
14,112 Posts
This is a really good point. I've just moved house and myself and the Mrs had a discussion about if we actually needed TV stations. I have a subscription for my sporting channels, two movie/TV show subscriptions with hundreds of hours of content from some of he greatest films/TV of all time and I can get all this for like 40-50 dollars a month as opposed to the 80 dollars a month it'd cost to get cable (Which isn't on demand mind you)

There is an occasional special or program that might get on Foxtel (Our cable system) but I know that on the 4-5 times a year that actually occurs I can simply seek it out online at a later date or if worst comes to worst make a call to my Grandma and have her record it for me (Even that seems super outdated though)

I don't know anyone in my age bracket that really watches TV anymore. I work with a ton of men in the 18-40 demographic and they'll ask you if you've seen the latest YouTuber/Viral Video/Netflix Series before mentioning TV. Only people I know actually watching TV are peoples parents and even then my mum is 62 and much prefers Netflix over TV.

Look at it from this perspective (This is what I think Wood is getting at)

Your local independent draws 80 people and suddenly for a couple shows in a row they draw 100 before falling back to 75-80 again. Is that "drawing"? Yeah okay, technically they've drawn more people so I guess it is but wouldn't real true drawing be 200-300 people? Wouldn't jaw dropping drawing be 500-600 people coming out to every show because they just can't get enough?

Same with AEW, yeah okay they're drawing a million people but when WWE has tens of millions of people domestically and internationally watching their show a million people really is just a drop in the ocean. Especially if you consider Prosper's point above about streaming and the youth finding ways to watch on their laptops/phones as opposed to on TV.
A bit too long for me to read but from scanning I can see you’re already comparing WWE to AEW. That’s a Dub for AEW. Imagine a new business being compared to a successful and established business in a monopoly
@tonykhan

481 - 500 of 1342 Posts