Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 5275 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Re: AEW PPV sales already declining.

You can make that argument for WWE because of the network, but there is no AEW network. PPV buys are a large (and only atm) part of their revenue, which directly contributes to their worth. Losing 10% of your audience in a few months is a huge deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PPV isn't the only way the show was streamed. 10% less ordered on traditional, tv provider backed, PPV. but the number of views on streaming services like Fite TV, B/R Live, and other streaming services they used added far nore than what was lost. More people view on LEGAL streaming services than on ppv now days. Why do you think WWE no longer uses PPV in most countries?

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
PPV isn't the only way the show was streamed. 10% less ordered on traditional, tv provider backed, PPV. but the number of views on streaming services like Fite TV, B/R Live, and other streaming services they used added far nore than what was lost. More people view on LEGAL streaming services than on ppv now days. Why do you think WWE no longer uses PPV in most countries?
The PPV numbers take into account streaming services and the like. The buys for DON were split pretty much evenly between traditional metrics and OTT streaming services. I keep hearing streaming was up, but we know the overall number was down. We also know that of the people who ordered AO domestically, 46% were return customers from DON. Given that DON did better than AO, we know that they had a retention rate of <46%. I split the difference between DON and AO, which was 63k, which happens to be what was recorded plus the 12% people thought it would go up, and that means 40% of people who watched DON decided to re-order. That's a pretty harrowing number.

It's not a knock on them, as much as it's a knock on over selling what they offer.

First part is the majority of their stuff has proven to be high paced and spot heavy and I don't mean that negatively. But for the fans that don't like that style of wrestling, then the other small doses of variety they offer probably won't be enough to make them a fan.

The other part is why are folk overselling what they offer as if it not almost the norm. I mean both Impact and WWE offer tag wrestling, women's wrestling, comedy stuff, hardcore stuff, brawlers, heavyweights, and cruiserweights. So selling AEW as if it's unique in that regard is weird.
I think the P.T. Barnum approach to wrestling is overrated. Especially in such a customizable consumer market. If you like serious wrestling, then the stuff that breaks the reality and immersion of the product is not just "for someone else," but it's actually going to erode your interest in the serious stuff. It's tonally inconsistent and counterproductive. People who want high art aren't going to sit through a stupid comedy with a billion dick jokes and random explosions just because "there's something for everyone." I don't know where this idea that they are separate pieces of the same puzzle that can come together comes from.

I am kind of frustrated that AEW promises to put an emphasis on tag team wrestling and women's wrestling, for example, yet their booking of their tags has been subpar (The Dark Order vs. Best Friends, folks) and the women have been treated exactly the same as in WWE. Britt Baker would fit in perfectly on Raw or SmackDown. Kylie Rae was basically Bayley. Nyla Rose is a vulnerable monster, like a Nia Jax or Tamina (but probably better in the ring). The joshi are underwhelming compared to Asuka and Kairi Sane. What makes their women "special?" They have done literally nothing to highlight how they are treating women any better, nor do they really have women that demand that attention.

I really don't get the love for the tag division. The Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros. lacked substance (in my opinion). If you like that sort of thing, fine, but WWE does plenty of spotty tag team Ladder Matches too. They did one at WrestleMania two years ago. The Usos and The New Day took their feud into Hell in a Cell. Is that really any less special than The Bucks vs. Lucha Bros.? AEW would kill to get teams like The Usos and Revival on board with them. There hasn't been a tag match in AEW anywhere near as good as the one where Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa won the NXT Tag Team Titles. Yes, I know that was ages ago, but I don't get the "we do proper tag team wrestling" argument comes from when there's a back catalogue of WWE stuff that is more significant and of a higher substantial quality.

I like SCU as a team and Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus have potential. I haven't seen enough of LAX, but none of this stands out like a tag team division that completely smokes the potential one in WWE. The Usos, The Revival, The New Day, Harper & Rowan, Bryan & Reigns, Zayn & Nakamura, Roode & Ziggler, Heavy Machinery, The Viking Raiders, Black & Ricochet, Rey & Dominick. Yeah, some of those aren't teaming right now, or might be temporary arrangements, but I know which side I'd put more stock in. I'm probably even leaving some teams out. I just don't get the argument. I know WWE does shit with tag teams, but it's not like the potential isn't there, and it smokes the potential AEW could possibly realize.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Are any of you fans worried about the attendance for the debut show yet. I think it could be a disaster personally.

Tickets on Stubhub are starting at $6.00 with very little interest. I find this incredible as they were $20 face value plus StubHub takes a few cut. This means the seller will be losing over $15 per ticket.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Are any of you fans worried about the attendance for the debut show yet. I think it could be a disaster personally.

Tickets on Stubhub are starting at $6.00 with very little interest. I find this incredible as they were $20 face value plus StubHub takes a few cut. This means the seller will be losing over $15 per ticket.
They haven't really given fans a reason to actually be hyped about the debut show, other than the fact that it's the debut. Who honestly gives a fuck about some random 6 man tag or about Stardust vs some no name geek?

However, the fact that NXT did 1.1 million viewers confirms that AEW will not only do more than 1 million, as I previously guaranteed, but they will do over 1.5 million easily. They can reach 2 million and I wouldn't at all be shocked. But just imagine the viewership they could have done if they actually had a big match or a hot angle heading into Oct 2.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts

How many seats do you recon is on the secondary market?

Anything less than 2,500 won’t worry me - that means its 8k attending - pretty hefty crowd

I’m sure scalpers will be there on the day too

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,922 Posts
How many seats do you recon is on the secondary market?

Anything less than 2,500 won’t worry me - that means its 8k attending - pretty hefty crowd

I’m sure scalpers will be there on the day too
Looks like a little over 1200 for the 10/2 show, if I’m reading it right.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
As long as the tickets are sold I don't see the issue. I don't think the vast majority gives a fuck about if the building is sold out, as far as it pertains to whether they'll watch. If they have to put up some tarp or move fans up due to scalpers over doing it so what.

Them selling out is more of a pissing contest between believers and detractors. Not something that decides if it's worth watching.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
They're is more or less 3500 seats on StubHub for DC.
Yeah, its over 3,000 on StubHub.

There a fuck load of tickets are also on resale at Ticketmaster too. Most of these tickets are probably duplicates from StubHub but not all so we're probably reaching over 4,000 tickets that aren't shifting at the moment.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Yeah, its over 3,000 on StubHub.

There a fuck load of tickets are also on resale at Ticketmaster too. Most of these tickets are probably duplicates from StubHub but not all so we're probably reaching over 4,000 tickets that aren't shifting at the moment.
Mmm - house of 6k will still look grand on camera - which is all that matters

So, nah - not worried really

It’s not ideal - but I doubt we’ll be seeing tarp make an appearance - even if you shift everybody down a row on the day

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Mmm - house of 6k will still look grand on camera - which is all that matters

So, nah - not worried really

It’s not ideal - but I doubt we’ll be seeing tarp make an appearance - even if you shift everybody down a row on the day
Some sections a empty and if it stay that way tarp will make his appearance

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
As long as the tickets are sold I don't see the issue. I don't think the vast majority gives a fuck about if the building is sold out, as far as it pertains to whether they'll watch. If they have to put up some tarp or move fans up due to scalpers over doing it so what.

Them selling out is more of a pissing contest between believers and detractors. Not something that decides if it's worth watching.
But it's important to point it out to the people with crazy expectations which was fuelled by Meltzer.

The dude was reporting over 100,000 were in queue for tickets and they could have easily sold out a stadium. Fans here took it as gospel. This is now clearly false as we are seeing now.

Anyway the Wednesday Night Wars should be entertaining (at least of this forum). NXT started with 1.2m so it might be a lot closer than people expect as neither show will get over 1m consistently in my opinion.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
But it's important to point it out to the people with crazy expectations which was fuelled by Meltzer.

The dude was reporting over 100,000 were in queue for tickets and they could have easily sold out a stadium. Fans here took it as gospel. This is now clearly false as we are seeing now.

Anyway the Wednesday Night Wars should be entertaining (at least of this forum). NXT started with 1.2m so it might be a lot closer than people expect as neither show will get over 1m consistently in my opinion.
I do get that aspect, but thats more about the pissing contest I was discussing. It's definitely fun to shit on folks opinions, no matter which side you're on though.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts

I don't know if there was 100.000 people in the queue (i think that was for DON or All Out but not for DC) but i know that when i was in the queue there was way more than 10.000 people in front of me.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

That wasn't false at all, and this doesn't disprove his report. His report literally came from ticketing agencies. All this proves is that there is way less demand for the debut than there was for All Out when tickets went on sale. That was expected. The entire reason why scalpers overbought the debut was because they missed out on All Out's record setting demand.

121 - 140 of 5275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.