Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 5275 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Frankly this worries me. It’s pretty much = ‘they want to be all things to all people’ and that never works in anything.

I think they’d be much better off deciding and defining exactly who and what they are and finding that audience. If it’s ‘serious sports-based promotion’ or ‘bad Orange Cassidy comedy promotion’ or ‘flippy little boys YB promotion’ or ‘throwback Cody nostalgia pop psychology-based matches promotion’ — at least they’d gain 100 percent of whatever audience is there for that.

To try to be a little bit of this and a little bit of that ultimately leaves the people who like this or that dissatisfied because they only got a taste and turning those same people off to the other stuff they don’t like.

Whatever AEW is going to be, it needs to figure that out and be that IMO.
I highly disagree. There's room for a little bit of everything, and WWE at its highest points proves exactly that. A one dimensional product is more likely to fail.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
Idk if they really have something for everyone. By and large in-ring you're getting high paced spot fests. If you like those type of matches, idk why you wouldn't enjoy AEW. A Cody type match here and an Orange Cassidy appearance there isn't what I'd call something for everyone.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,922 Posts
Idk if they really have something for everyone. By and large in-ring you're getting high paced spot fests. If you like those type of matches, idk why you wouldn't enjoy AEW. A Cody type match here and an Orange Cassidy appearance there isn't what I'd call something for everyone.
I don’t mean literally something for everyone. You’ve got comedy, you’ve got spotfests, you’ve got classic psychology. Hardcore, high-flyers, brawlers, women-beasts, joshis, lightweights, heavyweights (though not many), there’s a pretty good mix for fans of many different flavors. Even though everything doesn’t always resonate, it’s that variety that’s drawing my interest right now. I may be off the beaten path here, but I’d say that the diversity is more enticing to me than soap-opera story lines.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
I don’t mean literally something for everyone. You’ve got comedy, you’ve got spotfests, you’ve got classic psychology. Hardcore, high-flyers, brawlers, women-beasts, joshis, lightweights, heavyweights (though not many), there’s a pretty good mix for fans of many different flavors. Even though everything doesn’t always resonate, it’s that variety that’s drawing my interest right now. I may be off the beaten path here, but I’d say that the diversity is more enticing to me than soap-opera story lines.
I get it, but I just don't like that saying, as its usually a serious exaggeration. I wouldn't mind it if the things being touted as versatility were in equal (or close to) representation, but usually they aren't.

It just reminds of the annoyance of when ECW fans and Paul Heyman try to sell ECW as more than blood and guts. Like yeah they had cruiserweights and technicians, but if we're being honest the real appeal was the blood and guts. The other shit was just a nice side thing.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Exactly. Look at wwe now, its cattering to be one dimensional itself.

Wcw was several dimensions with several styles of wrestlers and that's what made it so good. WWF in its prime had several different wrestlers in styles

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I think that their main event scene isn't spotfest, omega isn't a flippy guy, nor jericho, nor moxley nor cody ( and thats their big 4), if you want to add, hangman ( not one) dustin ( not one),. actually I think with their main event scene they are going for an njpw-like feel
pac is the only one you would be tempted to call flappy but even him rely a lot on character work, and does strong moves a lot. ( from what I have seen from him in dragon ages and his aew match).

·
Registered
860 Posts
:aries2

Are you guys wrestling fans or food inspectors, seriously lmfao

Something for everyone as in there's something for kids, there's something for adults, there's something for women, there's focus on tag team wrestling, we get comedy and hardcore, we get different personalities, there's so much to pick and choose from from what you like, and you know the best part? They're doing the best they can to get the best talent to make the aspects people like about wrestling the best they possibly can.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
:aries2

Are you guys wrestling fans or food inspectors, seriously lmfao

Something for everyone as in there's something for kids, there's something for adults, there's something for women, there's focus on tag team wrestling, we get comedy and hardcore, we get different personalities, there's so much to pick and choose from from what you like, and you know the best part? They're doing the best they can to get the best talent to make the aspects people like about wrestling the best they possibly can.

It's not a knock on them, as much as it's a knock on over selling what they offer.

First part is the majority of their stuff has proven to be high paced and spot heavy and I don't mean that negatively. But for the fans that don't like that style of wrestling, then the other small doses of variety they offer probably won't be enough to make them a fan.

The other part is why are folk overselling what they offer as if it not almost the norm. I mean both Impact and WWE offer tag wrestling, women's wrestling, comedy stuff, hardcore stuff, brawlers, heavyweights, and cruiserweights. So selling AEW as if it's unique in that regard is weird.

·
4,922 Posts
It's not a knock on them, as much as it's a knock on over selling what they offer.

First part is the majority of their stuff has proven to be high paced and spot heavy and I don't mean that negatively. But for the fans that don't like that style of wrestling, then the other small doses of variety they offer probably won't be enough to make them a fan.

The other part is why are folk overselling what they offer as if it not almost the norm. I mean both Impact and WWE offer tag wrestling, women's wrestling, comedy stuff, hardcore stuff, brawlers, heavyweights, and cruiserweights. So selling AEW as if it's unique in that regard is weird.
I understand what you’re saying and partly agree. Except WWE’s tag division and women’s division are both jokes, and their idea of comedy is Vince’s lame-ass idea of what gets a yuk. And all their matches, no matter what they call them, fall under the same boring formulas.

As far as uniqueness, there’s only so far you can go to make a product unique that can still be called wrestling that appeals to a broader fan base. Impact is better than WWE in that regard, but it isn’t aired anywhere I can watch it (even going to AXS, because my worthless cable provide doesn’t carry that, either). I don’t know that I’d call AEW unique as much as just a better presentation of variety. Just the way I see it, anyway.

·
Registered
860 Posts

WWE offers tag team wrestling? I should've just stopped reading right there :lol Don't know how you can type that with a straight face. Their tag team division has been a joke for years with the occasional, rare single bright spots that occur on one brand at a time, with the New Day, and the Usos. Let's seriously not act like anybody looking for good tag team wrestling is going to tune into WWE for it.

Women's wrestling I'll give them credit for because they've definitely got all the talent for it and the most over women in professional wrestling. Becky, Sasha, Bayley, Charlotte, Asuka, Kairi. That's not even including all the talent in NXT still. Nobody is realistically going to choose AEW's women's division over WWE's. However, you'd be in denial to say WWE has done a great job booking their women. Look at Sasha pre-return, look at the state Asuka is in now. It's too early to say anything about AEW's booking of the women's division because the direction on it isn't clear yet, but they get good time on PPVs so far and they haven't broken that trust yet.

WWE's comedy is awful. Hardcore stuff? Rarely and not really hardcore. Cruiserweights were ruined the moment they gave them their own separate show and made them feel like an unimportant special attraction as opposed to actually integrated with their programs.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
Re: AEW TV Ratings, PPV Buys & Ticket Sales Thread: LET'S GO CRAZY! LET'S GET NUTS!

WWE offers tag team wrestling? I should've just stopped reading right there Don't know how you can type that with a straight face. Their tag team division has been a joke for years with the occasional, rare single bright spots that occur on one brand at a time, with the New Day, and the Usos. Let's seriously not act like anybody looking for good tag team wrestling is going to tune into WWE for it.

Women's wrestling I'll give them credit for because they've definitely got all the talent for it and the most over women in professional wrestling. Becky, Sasha, Bayley, Charlotte, Asuka, Kairi. That's not even including all the talent in NXT still. Nobody is realistically going to choose AEW's women's division over WWE's. However, you'd be in denial to say WWE has done a great job booking their women. Look at Sasha pre-return, look at the state Asuka is in now. It's too early to say anything about AEW's booking of the women's division because the direction on it isn't clear yet, but they get good time on PPVs so far and they haven't broken that trust yet.

WWE's comedy is awful. Hardcore stuff? Rarely and not really hardcore. Cruiserweights were ruined the moment they gave them their own separate show and made them feel like an unimportant special attraction as opposed to actually integrated with their programs.
I made no argument about what the quality of the variety was I just merely mentioned its there. You're too caught up in the fact I mentioned WWE. Though I will point out that AEW's womens division is underwhelming at best and their comedy has been very divisive. Back on point the fact is the WWE literally offer all those things I mentioned, just like AEW does. How you feel about those offerings is irrelevant to what I said.

Even on a "well at least in AEW unlike WWE each match is wrestled different" I'd counter do they really. Just like WWE, a lot of AEW matches have a very similar style and feel. Which is why Cody's matches are sticking out, because they aren't the high paced and jam packed with moves.

I understand what you’re saying and partly agree. Except WWE’s tag division and women’s division are both jokes, and their idea of comedy is Vince’s lame-ass idea of what gets a yuk. And all their matches, no matter what they call them, fall under the same boring formulas.

As far as uniqueness, there’s only so far you can go to make a product unique that can still be called wrestling that appeals to a broader fan base. Impact is better than WWE in that regard, but it isn’t aired anywhere I can watch it (even going to AXS, because my worthless cable provide doesn’t carry that, either). I don’t know that I’d call AEW unique as much as just a better presentation of variety. Just the way I see it, anyway.
I'm not speaking on the quality of it though. Im speaking of the fact it's offered. But my main point is simply in-ring AEW isn't offering up this style variety that I see being promoted. For the majority of the matches have the same fast paced lots of moves and spots style. And again I'm not against it, but most of their matches would fall under that. Which is why Cody's matches have stuck out

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Re: AEW TV Ratings, PPV Buys & Ticket Sales Thread: LET'S GO CRAZY! LET'S GET NUTS!

I made no argument about what the quality of the variety was I just merely mentioned its there. You're too caught up in the fact I mentioned WWE. Though I will point out that AEW's womens division is underwhelming at best and their comedy has been very divisive. Back on point the fact is the WWE literally offer all those things I mentioned, just like AEW does. How you feel about those offerings is irrelevant to what I said.

Even on a "well at least in AEW unlike WWE each match is wrestled different" I'd counter do they really. Just like WWE, a lot of AEW matches have a very similar style and feel. Which is why Cody's matches are sticking out, because they aren't the high paced and jam packed with moves.

I'm not speaking on the quality of it though. Im speaking of the fact it's offered. But my main point is simply in-ring AEW isn't offering up this style variety that I see being promoted. For the majority of the matches have the same fast paced lots of moves and spots style. And again I'm not against it, but most of their matches would fall under that. Which is why Cody's matches have stuck out
See, I would dispute that the 'lots of moves and spots' is a style, rather it's the way wrestling has developed over the last 15 years or so and to argue against that is to be living in the past. Think of a graph with an X and Y axis where the X (horizontal) refers to specific styles of wrestling (Lucha, Strong Style, British Catch Style, Hardcore and yes, even Sports Entertainment) vs the Y (vertical) which represents effort.

What you seemingly dismiss as 'moves and spots' is professional wrestlers trying to entertain professional wrestling fans; you may not be entertained but at least have the common decency to appreciate the effort.

·
4,922 Posts

Ok, I can see that, and can’t say I completely disagree. All I can say is I enjoy watching what I’ve seen so far of AEW more than WWE, Impact and ROH. Whatever differences there are, subtle as they may be, make it an overall much more watchable product to me.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts

See, I would dispute that the 'lots of moves and spots' is a style, rather it's the way wrestling has developed over the last 15 years or so and to argue against that is to be living in the past. Think of a graph with an X and Y axis where the X (horizontal) refers to specific styles of wrestling (Lucha, Strong Style, British Catch Style, Hardcore and yes, even Sports Entertainment) vs the Y (vertical) which represents effort.

What you seemingly dismiss as 'moves and spots' is professional wrestlers trying to entertain professional wrestling fans; you may not be entertained but at least have the common decency to appreciate the effort.
The thing is outside of the women and the BTE comedy I've enjoyed AEW. But I can enjoy it, without pretending there's variety that isn't there. You can talk about how wrestling has developed over the last 15 years, and all that points out is that true variety is harder to come by.

I'll keep going to Cody because his matches are what variety to me should look like. It actually looks and feels different than what's around it. The majority of the matches don't feel different, despite having different wrestlers or props.

Ok, I can see that, and can’t say I completely disagree. All I can say is I enjoy watching what I’ve seen so far of AEW more than WWE, Impact and ROH. Whatever differences there are, subtle as they may be, make it an overall much more watchable product to me.
Aye no knock on that it's definitely been enjoyable for me besides the women and BTE style comedy. I'm not knocking anybody liking it.

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,340 Posts

The one thing WWE does not do is write a good TV show.

It feels long tedious and boring to watch Raw or Smackdown.

you can't get into the characters, and the storylines aren't linear.

If AEW does those two things well, they will be keeping a lot of viewers who want to watch

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I wouldn't say wrestling has developed much. But if it did ti what exactly? I dont think AEW is unque but thats not the point for me and many. Wwe sucks but i want a high quality promotion thats good. Lets hope thats what they achieve and that is why AEW is trying to give ti a swing to reach that for us.

I think ifa promotion is considered unique it would fall under beung niche.

What is wrestling? Characters, story telling and good matches. That will never ever ever change in 500 more years. Present that well with out over producing like wwe than people will be interested.

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts

If AEW does those two things well, they will be keeping a lot of viewers who want to watch
Everything you hear about WWE these days makes it sound like a miserable place to work. "Throw him in the ropes, get him in a headlock, face that camera." Vince and others piping in to the ref every 30 seconds micromanaging everything. What you say is written for you. What you do is written for you. Clap, trained seal.

Wrestling has always been about the WRESTLERS first and foremost, and the personal connection you develop by watching and liking different performers as they do THEIR performance. I'm getting that from AEW. I feel like I'm getting to know them better, because it's actually the wrestlers coming up with their own stuff for the most part.

WWE seems almost purpose built to do the exact opposite and kill any personal connection. Can't have anything competing with The Brand™.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts

I mean yeah if they can deliver entertaining shows then yeah they should be able to garner and keep viewers. But that's not what I was talking about.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Lol my bad. And whatever i said wasn't even a debatable comment. Im just lost in space here?

101 - 120 of 5275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.