Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3981 - 4000 of 5275 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Yeah It's a little sad to watch how the ratings went from 1.4m to less than half in a couple of month. Still, I think the show is doing alright establishing its own stars and getting more recognition, hopefully this is just a small set back before they emerge more forward.
With Jericho and Mox on the horizon, they have to make sure the show from top to bottom is captivating.

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed in AEW's numbers right now, even if I'm not calling doom. AEW is probably our last, best chance to get an alternative to WWE, and if it folds, I don't know I might just give up on watching wrestling altogether.

WWE is trying to kill AEW, putting NXT on cable opposite it, then pushing it to the moon even at the expense of their main rosters. Also, I think people are a lot more likely to buy the WWE Network for $10 a month rather than shell out more for a PPV, which is what AEW has to use. Unfortunately. WWE has now established a formula to defeat AEW in the ratings: If AEW pulls ahead, just push NXT on the main roster more and put more main roster guest stars on NXT.
This is what theyll always do. Throw in main roster stars for a quick fix

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I was on the side of the people who think that it's too soon to do the Moxley vs Jericho feud but now i think they really have to do it.
The reason why you don't wait to do Jericho/Moxley is because you don't have challenger for Jericho other wise. You could have Moxley feud with Hager or Pac.

But you need to have big main event feud on your show to draw ratings. Having Jericho messing around with Scorpio Sky last two weeks might have gotten Sky some more exposure. But it appears also a lot of fans weren't interested. Because they knew Jericho wasn't going to lose and nothing else was going on.

The company has four main event baby faces and Jericho already faced Omega, Page and Cody. So right now they have no choice but to go to Moxley. Since after top four guys you got a guy like Darby Allin who isn't ready yet. Or veteran like Dustin Rhodes. Sure they could have built up Dustin for title feud on B ppv. But then they would hear oh two 50 years fighting for title. So I can understand why they aren't going in that direction.

So you do Moxley feud with Jericho now. Then it buys you time to add more talent next year(some guys will be leaving WWE and other indie talent will be FA)and build up in house talent. If you have another main event guy to have Jericho go through. Then you have luxury to wait to do Moxley/Jericho feud. But with AEW roster as is. Well it's time to do Jericho/Moxley now.

59,999 Posts
WWE is lame and boring. HOW THE FUCK are people enjoying that bullshit? AEW is the only organization that legit has me excited to see what's going to happen next... if they fold, I'm done with wrestling.
I agree with your assessment of wwe as it compares to AEW. I don't think we have to worry about AEW folding anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Love the marks trying to portray AEW as a failure
Yep you will see them all disappear when AEW back over 800,000 viewers next week and top 5 in 18-49 demos. I don't think people are factoring in how much Black Wednesday hurt AEW. That's a huge bar night out and big portion of AEW young demo clearly wasn't home to watch the show.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I listened to Meltzer’s AEW ratings segment today and he said anything less than 875k this week will be a concern. That seems high to me but who knows. He also said the women’s segments are dying in the ratings, particularly in the key demo. AEW really needs to get past whatever criticism they fear they will get and move all of the women’s stuff to Dark until it’s ready for prime time.

·
Team AEW
2,792 Posts
I was on the side of the people who think that it's too soon to do the Moxley vs Jericho feud but now i think they really have to do it.
Yep. I think they panicked and hotshoted that feud to improve ratings. Although we don't know if they'll be feuding right away, maybe it's a long-term storyline and we've only saw a tease.

I mean, even without last weeks ratings, they're not stupid. They know NXT was being pushed hard by WWE lately, and they need to do something great, so they've probably decided to rush the feud.

·
Best Post Machine
564 Posts
I listened to Meltzer’s AEW ratings segment today and he said anything less than 875k this week will be a concern. That seems high to me but who knows. He also said the women’s segments are dying in the ratings, particularly in the key demo. AEW really needs to get past whatever criticism they fear they will get and move all of the women’s stuff to Dark until it’s ready for prime time.
Absolutely. People keep clamoring for more TV time for the women as if that will help. If it stinks, it stinks. Meanwhile people you have on your payroll making MILLIONS are being underutilized.

It's time to Utilize Kenny. It's time to utilize these other big names. They've spent all their time putting new guys over but you can't just do that forever.

I was watching AEW Dark today and I just turned it off eventually. Nyla is garbage on commentary just like she's garbage in the ring. They have got to stop this constant trying to get every human being over. It's not going to happen.

Time to focus on what actually gave them the hype in the first place.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Absolutely. People keep clamoring for more TV time for the women as if that will help. If it stinks, it stinks. Meanwhile people you have on your payroll making MILLIONS are being underutilized.

It's time to Utilize Kenny. It's time to utilize these other big names. They've spent all their time putting new guys over but you can't just do that forever.

I was watching AEW Dark today and I just turned it off eventually. Nyla is garbage on commentary just like she's garbage in the ring. They have got to stop this constant trying to get every human being over. It's not going to happen.

Time to focus on what actually gave them the hype in the first place.
Kenny the one who is pushing for more tv time for the woman. He told Meltzer he rather sacrifice his tv time to make sure woman get enough time.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I think one woman's match on Dynamite is fine. But they really need to pick 5 or 6 girls to showcase. With only one of them being girl from Japan.

You can't have so many random girls on the show each week and expect people to care about the division. Put the rest of the woman on Dark and build them up. Heck recreate YouTube show just for woman if you need to. Then rotate the top 5 woman or so who are in the title picture.

So the problem isn't the woman division itself. It's how they are booking it and probably putting too many woman from Japan. Tony Khan needs to talk to Kenny and tell them what he's doing isn't working.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I think one woman's match on Dynamite is fine. But they really need to pick 5 or 6 girls to showcase.
Yep. I think they panicked and hotshoted that feud to improve ratings. Although we don't know if they'll be feuding right away, maybe it's a long-term storyline and we've only saw a tease.

I mean, even without last weeks ratings, they're not stupid. They know NXT was being pushed hard by WWE lately, and they need to do something great, so they've probably decided to rush the feud.
I disagree. Jericho already faced Omega, Page and Cody. They clearly had plans for Moxley/Jericho next. Other wise Cody wouldn't have announced Full Gear match stipulation. Or do the MJF turn on the show. All that ended Cody feud with Jericho and Inner circle and put his attention on MJF.

They could have easily dragged Cody/Jericho out. Doing Match Beyond in between(on say Bash at the Beach)and did rematch at February ppv. But they clearly wanted to do Moxley/Jericho feud next and have them feud December through February and maybe beyond.

In this day and age you gotta have guys feuding over the world title. If they were gonna save Moxley. They wouldn't have burned through Cody/Jericho so fast. Or built up Page or Omega to get back in the title scene. So all signs point to this to be the plan going a month plus back. Fact is if they don't do Moxley/Jericho feud now. Well then there's nothing for Jericho to do that would feel like a big deal or fresh.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I think Jericho should win and set up a triple threat or fatal four way feud with Mox, Y2J, Omega, and Pac. Then Y2J needs to drop the belt.

Moving the womens division to Dark is a bad idea it just admits you failed and have to reintroduce the title later on. Plus the roster is so damn thin they need to fill TV time.

AEW needs more hires asap and flesh out divisions. They have like 4 main event guys, and zero midcard. Half the roster is enhancement jobbers. Why is there no midcard title i keep asking it makes zero sense. You have time for a fucking diamond ring but not a midcard title for them. pathetic.

·
Team AEW
2,792 Posts
I think one woman's match on Dynamite is fine. But they really need to pick 5 or 6 girls to showcase.

I disagree. Jericho already faced Omega, Page and Cody. They clearly had plans for Moxley/Jericho next. Other wise Cody wouldn't have announced Full Gear match stipulation. Or do the MJF turn on the show. All that ended Cody feud with Jericho and Inner circle and put his attention on MJF.

They could have easily dragged Cody/Jericho out. Doing Match Beyond in between(on say Bash at the Beach)and did rematch at February ppv. But they clearly wanted to do Moxley/Jericho feud next and have them feud December through February and maybe beyond.

In this day and age you gotta have guys feuding over the world title. If they were gonna save Moxley. They wouldn't have burned through Cody/Jericho so fast. Or built up Page or Omega to get back in the title scene. So all signs point to this to be the plan going a month plus back. Fact is if they don't do Moxley/Jericho feud now. Well then there's nothing for Jericho to do that would feel like a big deal or fresh.
I mean, I get all that. I just thought they'll drag things out a little bit more. Feuding Jericho with Mox would've made a lot more sense if they waited to compete with NXT during WM Takeover in March and going forward. And also feels like Jericho should be Le Champion for a while longer. Maybe Mox will get screwed and lose, who knows.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I doubt they'll really end up beating NxT in the ratings in the long run, and having that 600-800K loyal fanbase who watch every single week. NxT may just succeed in having that solid 600-800K people who watch every week, and I don't particularly like NxT but can see their roster is far far better than AEW's.

The mistake AEW made was having no clearcut vision of who you're catering to and what you want your product to be like and centred around. They fail because they're not even clear on their vision(They= Cody, Kenny et all).

If they were smart, they'd not have wasted money/resources on talent like women wrestlers who don't draw shit(never have, never will), especially considering how even foolish WWE failed in their women's revolution crap despite having access to Ronda and a better women's roster(not that even that kind of a roster results in increased viewership or live attendance). So yeah,AEW are fucking stupid for not having done the right thing and just allow WWE to be PC and go on with their BS feminist/femcentric "women can be maineventers" nonsense while they strictly skip/refrain from wssting resourses in order to be PC or please people. (Because at the end of the day, people who want womens wrestling garbage can always check out other companies. AEW should've stuck with 18-35 bloodthirsty horny adult man/woman demographic).

They could've already been unique by utilizing women merely as Valets/Interviewers/Objects, like Lana and Mandy Rose.

They would've known that trash like Nyla, Sonny Kiss, Dark order, Marko stunt, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy(about 70% of their roster basically) isn't going to compel people to become loyal AEW fans

Either they should've 1)started with an hour-long TV show allowing them to have to only put out a solid men's division and tag teams and promos, or 2)partnered with ROH/NJPW and acquired more talent for a 2-hr show.

As it stands, AEW will keep losing to NxT

3981 - 4000 of 5275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.