Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3921 - 3940 of 5275 Posts

·
None. More. Hated.
5,125 Posts
Oh yes, a developmental brand that was just the focal point of an entire main brand PPV and had Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, and Finn Balor featured on it.

NXT stopped being a developmental brand the moment AEW got on tv.

How many of them were on or advertised this Wednesday? Lol. Face it, AEW put on a disappointing show and got its butt kicked. They aint dead or anything, but the trend aint good.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Agreed. They need to pick 8-10 guys and 2 or 3 girls and make them the focus of the show. All this coming and going and random matches is dumb.
Yeah. I hate this modern wrestling thing of making everything competitive, giving everyone a chance, and making sure each person gets on cards for a pay day even when it doesn't make any sense. Companies need to pick who they want to push and go with them as long as they're getting over. You got to be ruthless to succeed. If talent can't handle that, they're in the wrong business.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
When do they really start to panic? Also, dont they have a fixed 2 or 3 year deal that assures them whatever the ratings TNT will keep them? Maybe theyll need to start sooner than NXT or After? Lol

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
When do they really start to panic? Also, dont they have a fixed 2 or 3 year deal that assures them whatever the ratings TNT will keep them? Maybe theyll need to start sooner than NXT or After? Lol
I don't know but if they were like the people on this forum then they would have probably already committed suicide

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I really hate to say it, but the show is over folks. They've lost over half of their audience since their debut and took a crushing loss to NXT. Instead of trying to fill out their roster with actual professional wrestling, they filled it out with Codys friends and a bunch of goofy spot monkeys. They had a chance to do something special but they blew it. Look at NWAs roster, a ton of good talkers and workers who look like wrestlers, they should have gone after those guys. They should have tried to sign or buy out the contracts of guys like Brian Cage, Jacob Fatu, Tessa Blanchard, Killer Kross, Tom Lawlor, etc. But nah, they filled their roster out with guys like Joey Janella, Jimmy Havok, Marko Stunt, guys like that. What a fucking shame with the kind of momentum they had going into all of this that they crashed and burned, it didn't need to be this. This is on Cody and the Bucks for bullshitting around and Tony Khan for being a money mark with no vision.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
A lot of things AEW does pisses me off and make me want to pull my hair out. Why did they not follow up on the MJF/Cody rivalry? It's not like it's been dropped already. Why aren't they giving us more promos and segments instead of wrestling matches? Why is there no secondary title? Why do they do useless crap like keep Win-Loss records of everyone?

·
Banned
575 Posts
I really hate to say it, but the show is over folks. They've lost over half of their audience since their debut and took a crushing loss to NXT. Instead of trying to fill out their roster with actual professional wrestling, they filled it out with Codys friends and a bunch of goofy spot monkeys. They had a chance to do something special but they blew it. Look at NWAs roster, a ton of good talkers and workers who look like wrestlers, they should have gone after those guys. They should have tried to sign or buy out the contracts of guys like Brian Cage, Jacob Fatu, Tessa Blanchard, Killer Kross, Tom Lawlor, etc. But nah, they filled their roster out with guys like Joey Janella, Jimmy Havok, Marko Stunt, guys like that. What a fucking shame with the kind of momentum they had going into all of this that they crashed and burned, it didn't need to be this. This is on Cody and the Bucks for bullshitting around and Tony Khan for being a money mark with no vision.
I agree completely. Nothing but a bunch of geeks for the most part. Game over

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In what fucking world do you live ?

·
Ho!
17,509 Posts
I'm surprised NXT beat them so decisively in viewership... even if it was a post-ppv edition where they won big. Still, let's see what happens next week. If AEW continues losing or just barely manages a win, the tides may have turned and AEW will need to pull a rabbit out of their hat to get back in the lead. At the end of the day, Vince can always go to the Raw and Smackdown well to get NXT viewership up (whether he will continue to or not remains to be same). AEW has the stars they have, and otherwise I don't think there's really anyone they can get to boost numbers like that. Punk was probably their best chance, and even then that type of boost might have only been very temporary if they had managed to snag him. Short of someone managing to convince The Rock to do a show (which I can't ever see happening), AEW's viewership is almost entirely reliant on who they have, and the stories they tell. They do a great job with the in ring action, but I think someone else said it best (don't know if on here or I read somewhere else) where AEW needs to fans emotionally invested in the wrestlers themselves. I'm a big fan of Jericho, and I like what MJF brings to the table. However I'm not quite to the point where I'm really THAT invested in seeing either guy stay at the top/rise to the top respectively.

Maybe that's because they're heels though. But even looking at faces, Cody/Kenny Omega/Adam Page... they're all fine but I'm not naturally drawn to what they're doing unless I'm given a reason to. Be it the storyline itself being great or them working with someone I am invested in. Which speaking of, the only guy I'm really invested in seeing succeed in AEW right now is Moxley.

The thing that something like NWA was doing right the first several weeks with Powerr (although they've fallen off a bit) is get me invested in a guy like Tim Storm. Through the video packages, promos, his match with Nick Aldis, his reaction afterwards... AEW puts on better matches weekly than that one was, but that one night got me pretty invested in Nick Storm. It made me want to see what he did the next episodes and want to see him get a title shot again, even though the stipulation to that match with Aldis prevents him from ever getting a world title shot again. This is a guy who I knew nothing about before watching the first episode of Powerr. That one episode made me a fan and made want to tune in the following week in part for him and to see where they would go with. I was a fan. I still kind of am, but the overall show has kind of lost a bit of luster as well and it feels like it's been a few episodes since they've done anything with him.

Anyway, my point is that's basically what AEW needs to figure out how to do. Part of it is finding the right guys. The other part is creating the promos/storyline that lead to us getting invested in said guys. That lead us to being invested in their matches and their triumphs. Easier said than done, but that's going to be a key thing for them if they want to grow the audience. You want to make the fans who watch it say to their friends/co-workers/whoever "AEW is a good show, x, y, and z did these things and it was awesome" and then hope that type of enthusiasm leads to creating new fans. Again, easier said than done, but it's what AEW needs at this point unless they can get a jackpot signing which I don't think is happening.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How many of them were on or advertised this Wednesday? Lol. Face it, AEW put on a disappointing show and got its butt kicked. They aint dead or anything, but the trend aint good.
It doesn't matter if they were advertised or not. HHH was on Raw saying there was an open invitation to show up on NXT. They damn sure aren't going to send No Way Jose and Liz Morgan down there. Anyone with half a brain could tell they were going all in on NXT because of 1. they had been getting rocked in rating and 2. they were making them a part of Survivor Series and needed to build up the rivalries there as well.

Almost every actual AEW fan knew they missed the mark with this episode and were probably not going to win the ratings this week. Honestly, it there was going to be a miss this one was fine. NXT was coming off WarGames and a strong showing at Survivor Series and was going to pull a good rating. AEW still are higher in all the demo but 50+ though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I was in charge, I have Moxley open the show cutting a scathing promo. They just got their asses handed to them. He is the guy. He is the measuring stick. The suits may not think he's the #1 guy but he is going to leave scorched earth on his way to the top. Last week was a warning shot to Jericho. His cushy spot at the top is in serious danger. At the snap of a finger, Moxley can cave in the Inner Circle.

Get Moxley out there and tell him to turn the volume up to 100. The crowd will go nuts. He's as believable as it gets. Give Jericho a segment where he seems "off." Moxley has rattled him and he's just not the same. He's been spooked. Then you give the fans non stop action while mixing in promos and vignettes. Build Darby Allins story some more via vignettes. He's extremely relatable. Have MJF cut a promo.

I'd also love to see more of Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy. They should put themselves in tag title contention pronto.

Lots of things can be done to turn this around. Last week they were complacent and basically punted a show. They need a big bounce back show to get people interested again

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don’t know about that. If anything, it’s a call to get back to basics. The PPVs they put on this past summer, along with the Road to... interviews and backstage contract signings were what everyone expected the tv show to be, more or less. They need to get back to the AEW style they started out with that made them popular in the first place, and be unapologetic about it. Because so far:

They`ve abandoned the Road to approach for weekly tv, even though they currently have a tv deal and should be able to reach a wider audience with those now.

They don’t do pre match interviews or post match interviews, even though they have 3 interviewers on staff, 4 if you count Schiavone.

Contract signings are still handled in a sports entertainment way.

They barely have old school matches with storytelling (just Cody and Dustin so far, maybe MJF) and have just been spamming PWG/X-Division kind of matches with Joshi matches sprinkled in and the occasional NJPW match when Kenny Omega gets involved.

They`re not really building to the next big show, which is Bash at the Beach.

Even aesthetically, they removed to company logo from the canvas, even though it made then stand out and invoked memories of WCW.

The various brawls, the Dark Order vignettes, and the way they've handled Moxley have been the only new things since they’ve started airing on tv.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If I was in charge, I have Moxley open the show cutting a scathing promo. They just got their asses handed to them. He is the guy. He is the measuring stick. The suits may not think he's the #1 guy but he is going to leave scorched earth on his way to the top. Last week was a warning shot to Jericho. His cushy spot at the top is in serious danger. At the snap of a finger, Moxley can cave in the Inner Circle.

Get Moxley out there and tell him to turn the volume up to 100. The crowd will go nuts. He's as believable as it gets. Give Jericho a segment where he seems "off." Moxley has rattled him and he's just not the same. He's been spooked. Then you give the fans non stop action while mixing in promos and vignettes. Build Darby Allins story some more via vignettes. He's extremely relatable. Have MJF cut a promo.

I'd also love to see more of Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy. They should put themselves in tag title contention pronto.

Lots of things can be done to turn this around. Last week they were complacent and basically punted a show. They need a big bounce back show to get people interested again
Absolutely agree but Luchasaurus is still hurt. He's TV because he's over and they don't want to lose that but he is very limited. He walks with a noticeable limp and really isn't doing too many moves when he's in the ring.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
A lot of people here are gonna look really stupid this week when things start returning to normal. December's a bad month for wrestling though so don't be surprised if the numbers don't match November's on the whole.

3921 - 3940 of 5275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.