Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3901 - 3920 of 5275 Posts

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
When WCW first went live on Monday's, Nitro mostly lost to Monday Night Raw. The nWo angle being so captivating is what allowed WCW to turn the tide and start kicking the WWF's ass.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Whether we like it or not, the ratings will continue to go up and down.The company is in it's first year and they're experimenting on what works and what doesn't. Dynamite wasn't great this week so it's no surprise that the rating went down. It's all part of growing a company.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I think the most interesting rating will be for the first segment.
There is 2 option :
1/ Not a lot of people planned to watch AEW that night and the number will be low around 800k.
2/ The same amount of people than last week started to watch AEW but didn't like the show.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
I’ll bet a coffee and a donut that first hour drove a whole lot of viewers away (and yes, that includes the opening segment, which was very weak as far as story-telling and angle advancement). Too bad, because hour 2 mostly kicked ass.

I still don’t think they need to do anything drastic, other than get their midcarders some serious coaching and practice time. Just keep the slow and steady buildup of new talent; see who’s getting over, and give them more tv time. Yeah, 600k is a bit dreadful, but not the end of the world.

Going forward, I won’t be a bit surprised to see similar numbers for the rest of the year. Holidays are upon us, and with that comes shopping and holiday parties and all sorts of other distractions to keep people away from their tv’s. I see nothing on the horizon to reverse this latest trend unless NXT suddenly shits the bed.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
It's certainly not going to stay at 600k. Again, I expect things to go back to normal this week.

But AEW really has dropped the ball in some ways since Full Gear. Why does Riho still not have a serious rival? Why have they done nothing with MJF and Cody after he just turned? Already, MJF has been losing some steam from that turn, despite Wardlow being there. If that was for some ring that doesn't mean anything, it's a bad call. They need to get that rivalry started now that they pulled the trigger.

And obviously, the Inner Circle should start going after those tag titles.

The only guy that's really stayed hot through these cool episodes has been Mox. Still too early for him to go after Jericho and the Inner Circle though. He needs a major obstruction like Pac or something.

Unless we're going to have a Rumble type situation with purported Match Beyond in February. That would let the rivalry start a little earlier as Jericho and his guys want to prevent Mox from winning that and being #1 contender for DON II.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't have expected people to stick around based on that first hour. There's a lot more they can do to build programs and characters. I would have loved to have seen a follow up on Darby Allin after the loss to Moxley. He's a brooding character and they could have done something interesting with him. Instead of just jumping into a Omega/Pac match, have Omega cut a promo in the ring or something. Even have Pac come out and question why they're wrestling again after beating Omega on PPV. You have to give people a reason to stick around. Oh yeah, Moxley should be getting consistently high amounts of TV time ala Jericho. He's the guy

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bet they had lower starting numbers. Then that first hour was an easy 100k loss. That’s probably the worst and slowest hour they’ve put on.

·
None. More. Hated.
5,330 Posts
I wouldn't have expected people to stick around based on that first hour. There's a lot more they can do to build programs and characters. I would have loved to have seen a follow up on Darby Allin after the loss to Moxley. He's a brooding character and they could have done something interesting with him. Instead of just jumping into a Omega/Pac match, have Omega cut a promo in the ring or something. Even have Pac come out and question why they're wrestling again after beating Omega on PPV. You have to give people a reason to stick around. Oh yeah, Moxley should be getting consistently high amounts of TV time ala Jericho. He's the guy
Agreed. They need to pick 8-10 guys and 2 or 3 girls and make them the focus of the show. All this coming and going and random matches is dumb.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I love how the people in this thread defending AEW’s embarrassingly low numbers are blaming thanksgiving and conveniently ignoring the fact that NXT didn’t drop anywhere near as low as AEW.

The ship is sinking, come to terms with it. AEW has lost nearly a million viewers in two months, which I’m sure is a record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
Dude. Theyve lost half their audience and are losing to a WWE developmental brand. Stop. Lol.
Oh yes, a developmental brand that was just the focal point of an entire main brand PPV and had Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, and Finn Balor featured on it.

NXT stopped being a developmental brand the moment AEW got on tv.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love how the people in this thread defending AEW’s embarrassingly low numbers are blaming thanksgiving and conveniently ignoring the fact that NXT didn’t drop anywhere near as low as AEW.

The ship is sinking, come to terms with it. AEW has lost nearly a million viewers in two months, which I’m sure is a record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They lost because they absolutely shat the bed Wednesday. They need to consistently put on a good show much like the ones they had leading into Full Gear. There is talent here but they need to give the audience a reason to keep tuning in and see more

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Nah it's mostly WWF winning, then the nWo hit and WCW won for 83 weeks. WCW was losing prior to the hit of the nWo
Are you sure about that? I read the Nitro book just last year and I could have sworn it said in the head to head battles prior to Hall showing up it had been a virtual tie. Like 15 wins apiece or something like that. I could be misremembering.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I think in 2019/2020 a wrestling show can't start with a promo.
If the start and the ending of a show are good then people will forget what happen in between (even if it's really bad).
On the other hand if the start or ending are bad then you can be sure that people will say that the show suck even if the middle of the show was great.

Also i think that AEW should announce before the end of the show which wrestlers is going to open the next week show.
I mean Moxley is going to open the show then you want people to know it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I do not like this new forum but Im not gonna miss reading or hearing all the excuses from AEW marks. also Meltzer and Alvarez. this is too funny.

3901 - 3920 of 5275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.