Wrestling Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1556 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ratings are not about quality. What you think a good show is shouldn't rest on the rating it gets.
Quality is subjective.

McDonald's isn't the best burger just because they sell the most.
They may not have the best burger, but they have good burgers and appeal to a wide set of people, for some that is all they need. I personally would 9 times out of 10 get 2 dollar menu burgers, nuggets, fries and a drink from Mc Donald's pay $20+ for an "amazing" burger and a spoonful of fries at any of those restaurants that sell amazing burgers. Its just food. Who cares if its not the best-tasting burger that you'll put in your mouth, if it tastes good when you eat it and leaves you wanting more?

Young Sheldon is not the best comedy on tv just because a lot of people watch it.
I don't watch it but I imagine it must have some humor and it must appeal to a wide set of people. Some people simply want to be entertained for 30 minutes and move on with their lives afterward. If Young Sheldon gives them that then c'est la vie. Comedy is subjective. I rarely laugh when watching the Comedy Network, whilst it leaves others in stitches.

I really don't think they care if they're not watching the best comedy on TV. What matters to them is that the show they're watching now entertains them and it clearly does, otherwise they wouldn't be watching it.

And raw is not a better wrestling show just because it has more viewers.
What makes Dynamite better than Raw or Smackdown?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Disappointing number for one of the most flawless episodes of pro wrestling I've ever seen. Just 2 hours of complete logical entertainment, you don't see that nowadays.

Ratings will come.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Disappointing number for a strong show. One of my favorite Dynamite's to date.

Usual suspects on here jerking off over NXT losing the demo like they have every week except for Dec 18th. But, but, but 10 percent more for NXT and 10 percent less for AEW. 21st is better than 10th derp.

I remember summer-fall 1997 when WWF was putting out much better quality with Austin, Hart Foundation, Taker and HBK but was not seeing a big increase in ratings though. Ratings and quality not always parallel.

Survivor was a big deal watched it with my wife last night (DVR'ed) but it is an All Star Season and should draw big.
Survivor had 6.5 million viewers and was the 4th most-watched show of the night. It was beaten by ordinary episodes of Chicago Med and Fire and The Masked Singer.

Those are ordinary numbers for Wednesday night Network TV.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The show last week sucked, like I said, and as a result, fewer people watched. It’s as simple as that. That was a terrible show with weak in-ring action, aside from a pointless Moxley match and another pointless 8-man tag match, all in an effort as to not upstage Cody’s powerful, very serious-toned lashings segment.

Cody is not a team player.

·
Registered
764 Posts

This really explains it.

Last week was all about one segment and dragging viewers along for a single payoff that also dragged along too long. Viewers are conditioned to believing the story is in the payoff, whereas AEW is in the twists and turns of the journey and the sights you’ll see along the way.

Last week was only about Cody, so fans waited for TWO FUCKING HOURS, mindlessly watching a rather crap show just for one angle. Why would they tune-in this week if they don’t have a great-looking card and no pay off?

It is akin to the effects that spot monkeys have on wrestling. Eventually, everyone has to flip or flop, without rhyme or reason, or else they’re not going to get over.

Put out a good product, from start to finish, and don’t try to spot monkey the show with one segment that is hiding the weaknesses.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
But if you goal is to sell the most burgers then you should definitely be looking to McDonald's. Or finding a way to sell more burgers of a better quality to corner out that section of the market. Having the best burger no one cares about is not good either.
McDonald’s is on top because they were first. The got the ball rolling on brand awareness before anyone else and could only do so because they were the first to use an innovative production and franchising model.

Saying AEW should look to RAW because of the ratings is ironic because WWE would have never done that in its early stages.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Last night’s show legit felt like a step back into the late 90s. And I am never afraid to be critical of the show.
Can you explain that a little more? What about that felt like the 90s with their larger than life characters? You would never see a 20mins tag team match back then. You would not have such a womens match back then.You wouldnt have 10+mins from two guys the size of JB and MJF. So please explain why this felt like the 90? Is having a loud crowd already such a good fix that you feel like back in the 90s?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Can you explain that a little more? What about that felt like the 90s with their larger than life characters? You would never see a 20mins tag team match back then. You would not have such a womens match back then.You wouldnt have 10+mins from two guys the size of JB and MJF. So please explain why this felt like the 90? Is having a loud crowd already such a good fix that you feel like back in the 90s?
A show that, from end to end, hit on all cylinders while progressing storylines, mix of great in-ring action and promos/vignettes, a big brawl, young guys stealing the show with a quality match, etc.

·
Registered
992 Posts
A show that, from end to end, hit on all cylinders while progressing storylines, mix of great in-ring action and promos/vignettes, a big brawl, young guys stealing the show with a quality match, etc.
Ok this for me at least has nothing to do with a wrestling show from the 90s, but thanks for explaining, even with me not agreeing :)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ratings notes on this week observer. This weeks show started pretty poor with 756,000 viewers and lost of first three of four quarters to NXT. With AEW doing much better in final hour with Moxley/Santana beating NXT main event 861,000 to 652,000.

AEW opened at 756,000 viewers and 375,000 in 18-49 this week which is weirdly low considering they opened with 1,015,000 viewers and 516,000 in 18-49 just last week. Meltzer suggests there was a weaker lead-in movie on TNT but that wouldn't explain the difference to this degree.
  • NXT opened at 827,000 viewers and 296,000 in 18-49 this week which is pretty much the same as last week with 811,000 viewers and 298,000 in 18-49, so the bad start was exclusive to AEW.
  • After the bad start, AEW this week broke the usual Wednesday ratings pattern for both shows of starting high and trickling off, meaning they gained significant audience throughout the show.
  • NXT won three of the first four quarters overall, although AEW won every quarter in 18-49. NXT faded while AEW grew as the show was going on. AEW won by a significant margin in the second hour.
  • The head-to head main events had AEW finishing with 861,000 viewers and 402,000 in 18-49, which is an overall gain of 105,000, and NXT had 652,000 total viewers and 290,000 in 18-49 which is an overall loss of 175,000, following the usual pattern for Wednesday nights.
  • AEW biggest quarter hour gain was 115,000 viewers and 45,000 in 18-49 for the end of Riho vs. Rose, the post-match, and the Chris Jericho/Inner Circle promo. However, AEW's biggest quarter hour loss was 85,000 viewers and 39,000 in 18-49 for the beginning of Riho vs. Nyla Rose. To me what that might say about Riho vs Nyla is that it's a big divider amongst viewers, lots of people loved it and lots of people didn't. Or it might just mean people didn't give it a chance at the beginning but it won people over by the end and got people gripped.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Fucking SCU sucks, man. Ratings killer.

But the little hints of heel-ish tactics showed some potential. I liked them better in that setting.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Starting off babyface vs babyface is never a good idea. Hell, that is just never a good idea in general, but SCU made it work understanding their role in a match with Page/Omega.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ratings notes on this week observer. This weeks show started pretty poor with 756,000 viewers and lost of first three of four quarters to NXT. With AEW doing much better in final hour with Moxley/Santana beating NXT main event 861,000 to 652,000.

AEW opened at 756,000 viewers and 375,000 in 18-49 this week which is weirdly low considering they opened with 1,015,000 viewers and 516,000 in 18-49 just last week. Meltzer suggests there was a weaker lead-in movie on TNT but that wouldn't explain the difference to this degree.
  • NXT opened at 827,000 viewers and 296,000 in 18-49 this week which is pretty much the same as last week with 811,000 viewers and 298,000 in 18-49, so the bad start was exclusive to AEW.
  • After the bad start, AEW this week broke the usual Wednesday ratings pattern for both shows of starting high and trickling off, meaning they gained significant audience throughout the show.
  • NXT won three of the first four quarters overall, although AEW won every quarter in 18-49. NXT faded while AEW grew as the show was going on. AEW won by a significant margin in the second hour.
  • The head-to head main events had AEW finishing with 861,000 viewers and 402,000 in 18-49, which is an overall gain of 105,000, and NXT had 652,000 total viewers and 290,000 in 18-49 which is an overall loss of 175,000, following the usual pattern for Wednesday nights.
  • AEW biggest quarter hour gain was 115,000 viewers and 45,000 in 18-49 for the end of Riho vs. Rose, the post-match, and the Chris Jericho/Inner Circle promo. However, AEW's biggest quarter hour loss was 85,000 viewers and 39,000 in 18-49 for the beginning of Riho vs. Nyla Rose. To me what that might say about Riho vs Nyla is that it's a big divider amongst viewers, lots of people loved it and lots of people didn't. Or it might just mean people didn't give it a chance at the beginning but it won people over by the end and got people gripped.
A gain of 105,000. Is that the biggest gain they've ever had for a main event? It must be close to it, at the very least.

·
Premium Member
11,156 Posts
Starting off babyface vs babyface is never a good idea. Hell, that is just never a good idea in general, but SCU made it work understanding their role in a match with Page/Omega.
Everyone knew that they won’t take the titles from Page/Omega. A rematch is always predictable.

why companies still do rematches in 2020 I have no idea. I have always considered a title rematch as FILLER

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
A gain of 105,000. Is that the biggest gain they've ever had for a main event? It must be close to it, at the very least.
I didn't see what the quarter before did. But usually the show opens with high rating. So this might be biggest gap from opening to ending quarters. Usually they are a lot closer between the two quarters. With first quarter often higher then main event.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I didn't see what the quarter before did. But usually the show opens with high rating. So this might be biggest gap from opening to ending quarters. Usually they are a lot closer between the two quarters. With first quarter often higher then main event.
Meltzer's report says:

The head-to head main events had AEW finishing with 861,000 viewers and 402,000 in 18-49, which is an overall gain of 105,000
So Q8, which featured the main event, had an increase of 105K from Q7.

That's the highest gain for a final quarter that I remember seeing.

·
Spanish God
1,015 Posts
took this off Redditt via WON, for those who were asking about UK ratings:
Regarding U.K. ratings, they were expected to drop with the move from Sky to BT, which is in fewer homes. But the opposite has happened as BT has made promotion of WWE a priority, something Sky hasn’t done for years and the numbers are up from the past two or so years. For the week ending on 2/2, Raw did 75,800 viewers live, Smackdown did 111,000 viewers while NXT did 12,600 viewers. MLW on Freesports did 16,800 viewers that week. AEW on ITV did about 100,000 viewers this past week which is much lower than they started out at, which was nearly 300,000. The first week of Raw and Smackdown on TV 5 did 200,000 and 100,000 respectively. So the idea that AEW would dominate viewing numbers, which was the case when WWE was on Sky, is no longer the case with the WWE move to BT and the new deal with 5. However regarding overnight numbers for this past week, they listed AEW on ITV 4 at 45,000 for the first airing on 2/7, Impact of 5 Star did 59,000, Raw on BT on 2/3 did 4,000 and on 2/10 did 24,000. Smackdown didn’t even register the last two weeks (meaning in theory less than 1,000 viewers) this past week

1481 - 1500 of 1556 Posts