Wrestling Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1556 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think it’s clear AEW benefits from a higher average viewership for the night. This indicates to me that this isn’t must-see tv for casuals just yet.

·
Registered
19,962 Posts
Do you think Skip & Shannon will talking xfl through the year - no way. Coverage due to debut. No interest will mean this will disappear & so with league before long.
They've covered it before. Surely it won't be no long segment or big segment. But seeing as it's 4 games a week them discussing it for a quick section, isn't out of the question. Especially considering they've discussed it before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
All the ratings ever show me is that every 2nd wrestling household needs someone to come over and punch them in the head :D

Edit> is there some political shit going on? Tucker Carlson never draws a 0.3 in the key demo
Tucker did better on Tuesday and Monday night.

That's a lame excuse.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
One thing with ratings is if you have a bad show, it may get high ratings but the next show will usually be down even if THAT show is good. I think that is likely what happened here. Last week's show was not great. Ratings will likely be up based on this week's show from those viewing DVR and word of mouth.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Like I said, great show this week. Last week’s show was all about Cody, hence the rest of the show was just “meh”.

Can’t have any stealing Cody’s spotlight. NEVER AGAIN!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The talk about the show cracking one million was ridiculous. A good show is more likely to increase the show for the next week. People don't know it is going to be good before they watch it, lol. That being said, a good show can leave people satisfied and feeling like they don't need any more. I watched Raw a few weeks back, liked it, but decided I wasn't going to check it out again. It's just too much.

I don't know what the card is for next week and I follow wrestling pretty ardently. So people are not necessarily going to be checking it out because of whatever it is they've lined up. Wrestling fans are a unique little bubble now.

It might work and they might get a big ratings. But how do people expect them to get a giant number if there isn't a giant number watching in the first place?
It's hard to tell whats good or what's bad when it comes to AEW because every week no matter who wrestles or does a promo or any kind of segment, AEW fans on here and SquaredCircle proclaim it to be the best show ever. And when I go watch it after, I'm always underwhelmed.

It's like New Japan 2.0 honestly. I was told it had better wrestling, bigger stars and was better than the WWE, so I tuned in, and all I saw was boring Japanese shit, and I tuned out.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It's hard to tell whats good or what's bad when it comes to AEW because every week no matter who wrestles or does a promo or any kind of segment, AEW fans on here and SquaredCircle proclaim it to be the best show ever. And when I go watch it after, I'm always underwhelmed.

It's like New Japan 2.0 honestly. I was told it had better wrestling, bigger stars and was better than the WWE, so I tuned in, and all I saw was boring Japanese shit, and I tuned out.
Im not a hardcore AEW mark at all but the current WWE product shouldnt be any barometer when it comes to good shows or not.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You're right maybe that "Survivor" thing.

Since AEW started they always have been more hurt by "special" programming than NXT.
There's 700 and something thousand wrestling fans not watching AEW because they'd prefer NXT. That's effecting AEW far more than 100k switching over and watching "special" programming.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
AEW 817k-0.30 10th
NXT 757k-0.24 21st
Ouch.

Next week will be better after a good show. When people on here say its a good show so it deserves a good rating it doesn't make sense as people mostly decide to watch something beforehand anyway.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Not really surprising. The range seems to be 800k - 970k for a while now. Anything below that is a concern and anything 1m+ is a massive success.

Don't see either happening anytime soon unless a major known star is signed. Not talking about the likes of Matt Hardy or Luke Harper though

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Good they need this punishment for robbing Riho of her belt, Kenny Betrayer Omega fuck you for letting this happen.

·
Spanish God
1,015 Posts
I agree, but the ratings and viewership they get definitely should be.
Ratings are not about quality. What you think a good show is shouldn't rest on the rating it gets. McDonald's isn't the best burger just because they sell the most. Young Sheldon is not the best comedy on tv just because a lot of people watch it. And raw is not a better wrestling show just because it has more viewers.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Ratings are not about quality. What you think a good show is shouldn't rest on the rating it gets. McDonald's isn't the best burger just because they sell the most. Young Sheldon is not the best comedy on tv just because a lot of people watch it. And raw is not a better wrestling show just because it has more viewers.
But if you goal is to sell the most burgers then you should definitely be looking to McDonald's. Or finding a way to sell more burgers of a better quality to corner out that section of the market. Having the best burger no one cares about is not good either.

By the sounds of it, NXT had an excellent show too. They are building to their Portland show, which is no doubt going to be amazing. Gargano vs. Balor, Cole vs. Ciampa, Keith Lee vs. Dominic Dijakovic and the Tag Title are all probably matches that the hardcore audience would consider "Match of the Year" candidates. They're also now up to six matches. There will be pressure on the women to keep up, but hey, Nox and Kai have got the smoke and mirrors. Rhea and Bianca are over.

Could be looking at a "Show of the Year," which might affect things next week. I looked up what AEW has. Jeff Cobb, an unknown, facing Moxley. The tag team clusterfuck. Omega & Page vs. Lucha Bros, which feels like it has happened a million times (not sure if it has or not). And a Steel Cage with another unknown guy. I mean, it could do really well, but NXT is also batting with Velveteen Dream vs. Roderick Strong in a rather personal match and Lio Rush challenging Jordan Devlin for the Cruiserweight Title. You might also get some sort of angle at Takeover which sets up another thing.

Could be closer next week than people realize.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It’s disappointing that these shows aren’t catching on, but whatever, it was great as I’m sure NXT was as well.

MAKE WEDNESDAY THE WRESTLING NIGHT, PEOPLE!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Disappointing number for a strong show. One of my favorite Dynamite's to date.

Usual suspects on here jerking off over NXT losing the demo like they have every week except for Dec 18th. But, but, but 10 percent more for NXT and 10 percent less for AEW. 21st is better than 10th derp.

I remember summer-fall 1997 when WWF was putting out much better quality with Austin, Hart Foundation, Taker and HBK but was not seeing a big increase in ratings though. Ratings and quality not always parallel.

Survivor was a big deal watched it with my wife last night (DVR'ed) but it is an All Star Season and should draw big.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
People rather watching something else is not a great excuse. If you can't outdraw Survivor, maybe you need to rethink some things?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The problem is if someone isn't watching then how will they know that it is a great show? I think you'll find that the number of people who actually flick from one show to the other every segment is actually a very small number. What you need is an act that draws everyone in and then the great show around that segment/act can help keep them. I'm no expert but it just seems like common sense to me. I also imagine the impact of a great show would probably be more apparent the week after.

1461 - 1480 of 1556 Posts