Wrestling Forum banner

8481 - 8500 of 8502 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
According to Wade Keller, the women gained 80k viewers during their QH. The women's match average was 819k. Women can draw.

The problem with the main event right now is not Mox. The problem is they keep putting guys that aren't draws in programs with Mox. Mox vs PAC-- that's a program I can get invested in. Their top contenders include Brodie Lee, Lance Archer, Darbie Allin and MJF. Who the fuck are any of these guys to the mass audience? None of them have carried TNA or WWE in the past. Mox needs programs with former world champions like Bill Goldberg, James Storm, Aries and Aldis, or they need to build up someone with potential like Fenix who can be believable and brings a different audience.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
According to Wade Keller, the women gained 80k viewers during their QH. The women's match average was 819k. Women can draw.

The problem with the main event right now is not Mox. The problem is they keep putting guys that aren't draws in programs with Mox. Mox vs PAC-- that's a program I can get invested in. Their top contenders include Brodie Lee, Lance Archer, Darbie Allin and MJF. Who the fuck are any of these guys to the mass audience? None of them have carried TNA or WWE in the past. Mox needs programs with former world champions like Bill Goldberg, James Storm, Aries and Aldis, or they need to build up someone with potential like Fenix who can be believable and brings a different audience.
I said this just after Full Gear when it became obvious that A) Cody “can’t” challenge for the title and B) Omega vs Moxley was done for the time being.

As you are building your next world champion, you MUST also be building a credible antagonist that has an obvious date with destiny. Moxley and MJF, while good, have no reason to tear the fans at the seams. You must compel the audience to pick a side.
A Yin to the Yang. Good vs Evil.

And while MJF is a clear prick, Moxley is NOT the clear cut babyface, and even worse, they have booked him as less important than Cody and Jericho in the singles division.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
9,939 Posts
I said this just after Full Gear when it became obvious that A) Cody “can’t” challenge for the title and B) Omega vs Moxley was done for the time being.

As you are building your next world champion, you MUST also be building a credible antagonist that has an obvious date with destiny. Moxley and MJF, while good, have no reason to tear the fans at the seams. You must compel the audience to pick a side.
A Yin to the Yang. Good vs Evil.

And while MJF is a clear prick, Moxley is NOT the clear cut babyface, and even worse, they have booked him as less important than Cody and Jericho in the singles division.
It’s starting to not even feel that way anymore. Before it definitely did feel like he was 2nd place to Jericho and Cody, but now he is feeling like the main guy more and more every week. This is the 3rd Dynamite in a row that he will be main eventing, the MJF/Mox program will obviously be the top feud, and he has been getting a lot more promo time as of late. Moxley/Cage felt like a heavyweight main event that you had to see, and a lot of people felt that, which is why the match drew so well.

Moxley is definitely a clear cut babyface, anyone who watches Moxley knows to cheer him and have no reason to boo.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

To be fair, they're trying to use Moxley, given that he's by far the biggest draw on the card, as a way of getting spotlight on the lesser known guys. Even when he feuds with guys no one knows about, the vast majority of the time he still outdraws everyone on the roster by a wide margin. Look at the quarter hour numbers he's done against guys like Spears, Janela, Trent, Kazarian, the singles match with Allin, Brian Cage, etc.

Granted, the feud with Brodie was just a flat out mistake. People know Brodie, they just don't care about him (yet that was still the feud with by far the most buzz at DON.)

The MJF feud is perfect because it's going to get him a ton of attention once they start doing segments together, and MJF is a great promo. If they do this right and put the title on him, he's going to be a star. MJF has already shown a lot of drawing potential, gaining 100K+ in more than one quarter hour, which is something only Moxley, Jericho, and Cody have done.

I'm glad they will actually be using Moxley's star power to build someone with talent.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Yes sir, fuck MJF, give that spot to Austin Aries or James Storm. Much better idea. All Out will break AEW buyrate records.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Yes sir, fuck MJF, give that spot to Austin Aries or James Storm. Much better idea. All Out will break AEW buyrate records.
I am half convinced he IS Austin Aries at this point. He mentions him every third post or so. NO ONE on here wants to see that tiny dude and locker room cancer anywhere near AEW.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
The August 19 episode will air on saturday august 22 at 6pm
The August 26 episode will air on Thursday, August 27 at 8PM.
The september 16 episode will air on Thursday 17 at 8pm

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
To be fair, they're trying to use Moxley, given that he's by far the biggest draw on the card, as a way of getting spotlight on the lesser known guys. Even when he feuds with guys no one knows about, the vast majority of the time he still outdraws everyone on the roster by a wide margin. Look at the quarter hour numbers he's done against guys like Spears, Janela, Trent, Kazarian, the singles match with Allin, Brian Cage, etc.

Granted, the feud with Brodie was just a flat out mistake. People know Brodie, they just don't care about him (yet that was still the feud with by far the most buzz at DON.)

The MJF feud is perfect because it's going to get him a ton of attention once they start doing segments together, and MJF is a great promo. If they do this right and put the title on him, he's going to be a star. MJF has already shown a lot of drawing potential, gaining 100K+ in more than one quarter hour, which is something only Moxley, Jericho, and Cody have done.

I'm glad they will actually be using Moxley's star power to build someone with talent.
They aren't going to put the title on MJF and there is no plus in doing so. He doesn't expand the demographic like a Fenix or Sky.

I am half convinced he IS Austin Aries at this point. He mentions him every third post or so. NO ONE on here wants to see that tiny dude and locker room cancer anywhere near AEW.
I doubt many wrestlers are on this board. I am not one. I've mentioned Goldberg and Tessa more than Aries on here, and I've mentioned James Storm as much as Aries. Aries and Storm are both proven workers who have been in front of more people than everyone on the roster who isn't from the WWE. When people talk about getting non-WWE talent-- there you go, the TNA guys that are out there that aren't with Impact or WWE right now (and NWA isn't coming back this year).

It's ridiculous that you have these guys that can deliver never before seen matches like Storm and Aries can with AEW's top guys, and they are signing dudes that are jobbers and no-names.
The August 19 episode will air on saturday august 22 at 6pm
The August 26 episode will air on Thursday, August 27 at 8PM.
The september 16 episode will air on Thursday 17 at 8pm
We're getting a Thursday night experiment after all thanks to the NBA.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think a move to Thursdays will help them get those ratings up if they advertise the change well enough. Unless of course NXT also moves to Thursday all of a sudden

·
Registered
24,435 Posts
I think a move to Thursdays will help them get those ratings up if they advertise the change well enough. Unless of course NXT also moves to Thursday all of a sudden
Thursday is NBA night for TNT most of the year. They air every week on Thursday during the regular season and sometimes on Tuesday. Now right now the NBA schedule is different because they're just now coming back and using a different schedule.

But once things go back to normal, Tuesday and and especially Thursday are occupied with NBA action. And with Raw and SD on Monday and Friday respectively, Wednesday is really their only option on TNT.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Walks in

A solid rating for AEW? Awesome.

Walks Out

Well a program against James Storm would be awesome. Esp. if it last for a few months and they exchange the title back and forth like Rock and Foley did in 1999. I think it would actually be great for Moxley to get that kind of experience from someone like Storm.

Esp. since to me it's too early to throw MJF into that. I don't want him to get close to the World title until AEW has all their tools together, before people are back, before MJF can really win it and carry the company. It is way too early now.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
It’s starting to not even feel that way anymore. Before it definitely did feel like he was 2nd place to Jericho and Cody, but now he is feeling like the main guy more and more every week. This is the 3rd Dynamite in a row that he will be main eventing, the MJF/Mox program will obviously be the top feud, and he has been getting a lot more promo time as of late. Moxley/Cage felt like a heavyweight main event that you had to see, and a lot of people felt that, which is why the match drew so well.

Moxley is definitely a clear cut babyface, anyone who watches Moxley knows to cheer him and have no reason to boo.
Yeah after 3 week viewership loses to NXT when Moxley was off the show due to Renee having Covid. They've used Moxley right the last 3 weeks and they obviously will this week. With Mox/Darby title match and MJF stuff.

I'm not sure why he wasn't used much during the month of June. But it appears Tony Khan heard the complaints about the lack of Moxley on the shows. Since he's been featured as much as Jericho or Cody lately.

AEW always going to be on Wednesday long term. With AEW not wanting to do Monday vs NFL and TNT having NBA on Tuesday and Thursday. But if NXT does way better these weeks not having to go up against AEW. Maybe they tell Vince we need to move NXT to Tuesday or Thursday.

Really it would be best interest for USA to do so. Since AEW growing and doing better rating. Will likely bring down the price of WWE programming in next tv deals. Vince knows this though. So he will probably fight to keep NXT head to head vs AEW as much as he can.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
How is this even possible?

this was the ratings breakdown

Q1: Inner Circle vs. Best Friends, Jurassic Express & Orange Cassidy – 718,000 viewers, 367,000 in 18-49
Q2: End of 10-man tag/Jon Moxley interview/Cody vs. Warhorse – 721,000 viewers (up 3,000), 358,000 in 18-49 (down 9,000)
Q3: End of Cody vs. Warhorse/Matt Cardona debut/Inner Circle interview – 805,000 viewers (up 84,000), 406,000 in 18-49 (up 48,000)
Q4: FTR Contract Signing/Dark Order vs. Hangman Page & Kenny Omega – 832,000 viewers (up 27,000), 423,000 in 18-49 (up 17,000)
Q5: End of Dark Order vs. Page & Omega/post-match including FTR and Young Bucks – 878,000 viewers (up 46,000), 455,000 in 18-49 (up 32,000)
Q6: Hikaru Shida vs Diamante/Vickie Guerrero & Nyla Rose interview – 790,000 viewers (down 88,000), 412,000 in 18-49 (down 43,000)
Q7: MJF Interview – 720,000 viewers (down 70,000), 382,000 in 18-49 (down 30,000)
Q8: Jon Moxley & Darby Allin vs. Brian Cage & Ricky Starks – 721,000 viewers (up 1,000), 360,000 in 18-49 (down 22,000)
Maybe you misheard him?

the women have gained viewers before, but not last week I guess, but when highlighted like Penepole Ford vs Shida.
Last week's Dark special episode, besides Sammy's return, the women's matches of Abadon and Penelope Ford have almost double the views for Archer/Wardlow/ the tag 3-way.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Really it would be best interest for USA to do so. Since AEW growing and doing better rating. Will likely bring down the price of WWE programming in next tv deals. Vince knows this though. So he will probably fight to keep NXT head to head vs AEW as much as he can.
Thats super interesting, I have never thought about it that way.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
How is this even possible?

this was the ratings breakdown

Maybe you misheard him?

the women have gained viewers before, but not last week I guess, but when highlighted like Penepole Ford vs Shida.
Last week's Dark special episode, besides Sammy's return, the women's matches of Abadon and Penelope Ford have almost double the views for Archer/Wardlow/ the tag 3-way.
He said that was what the quarter did when the match was going on based off minute by minute. See these quarter breakdowns are very flawed. Because commercial breaks and whatever else going on can bring quarter down a lot.

Which is why MJF promo really gained viewers. So did the main event. Which gain viewers returning from commercial break then lost viewers with commercial break mid match and gained viewers again leading up to the finish.

With commercial breaks and other junk going on. The quarters only did 720 and 721 overall. This also why the opening quarter is often highest rated quarter. Since it usually doesn't include a commercial break.

Having NXT/AEW head to head causes huge shift in ratings whenever the shows go to commerical. For example the final quarter with the main event had minutes in the 550-650 range during commercial breaks. While the match finished in the 780s in minute by minute. Overall the average was 721 because huge drops in commercial breaks to put on NXT main event. Which was strong enough this week to take away some of AEW viewers. Who decided that was more interesting match then tag match.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
He said that was what the quarter did when the match was going on based off minute by minute. See these quarter breakdowns are very flawed. Because commercial breaks and whatever else going on can bring quarter down a lot.

Which is why MJF promo really gained viewers. So did the main event. Which gain viewers returning from commercial break then lost viewers with commercial break mid match and gained viewers again leading up to the finish.

With commercial breaks and other junk going on. The quarters only did 720 and 721 overall. This also why the opening quarter is often highest rated quarter. Since it usually doesn't include a commercial break.

Having NXT/AEW head to head causes huge shift in ratings whenever the shows go to commerical. For example the final quarter with the main event had minutes in the 550-650 range during commercial breaks. While the match finished in the 780s in minute by minute. Overall the average was 721 because huge drops in commercial breaks to put on NXT main event. Which was strong enough this week to take away some of AEW viewers. Who decided that was more interesting match then tag match.
Damn that's some big shift. That's cool. Thanks for the info.

So if I understand correctly, Wade Keller has the info for the minute by minute breakdowns of AEW? that's quite interesting

8481 - 8500 of 8502 Posts