Wrestling Forum banner

5861 - 5880 of 6399 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Considering the ratings drop, if I were AEW, I would change Page/Omega vs BF and also Jericho vs OC. I know it's not a PPV but I remember back in the day WCW would do this often, they would go into PPV with a feud set in stone almost and these guys would not even face and people didn't care cause WCW was hot. Like Roddy Pipper had done an angle where he was training guys from various backgrounds to be in his group for War Games and when the PPV match happened, all these guys were gone and Piper had joined the Horsemen team.

Archer and Brodie takes out BF and take their place against Omega/Page. Have Jericho join Santana and Ortis in their match with Hardy joining Private Party for the other side. You could say OC is injured cause of the brawl against Jericho on Dynamite. Then during Fyter Fest, you could have someone like Janella throwing a challenge on a open mic to OC for a match right now, saying OC is a coward, etc... So OC shows up injured and face him.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I just don’t need wrestling for wrestling’s sake. I watched WCW, because it was good. I didn’t watch Raw, because it was shit when it was Austin smacking McMahon with a bed pan (who the fuck lets Stone Cold dress up as a goddamn doctor!?) and is still shit today when I’ve turned it on at various points over the last 2 decades.

I have tried to get into Powerrr, but it is way too low-budget for my liking. Studio wrestling can’t exist in 2020, at least not for my liking.

So yeah, I don’t need wrestling. I have plenty of other hobbies and a career I can always focus on more. Possible career change in the next 5 years due to an early retirement.

Wrestling needs to be must-see TV for me to stick around.
Yeah I'm kinda the same way. Got a dozen hobbies that I can focus on that I'm not so tied to wrestling hoping that Someone challenges WWE or Vince gets mad or some shit like that. There's so much shit out there to Watch/play that focusing on wrestling alone just seems crazy.

Like for me if I like it and it peaks my interest I'll watch it. If not then I won't.

·
Registered
206 Posts
AEW does not have compelling storylines... most of the creative are bunch of indy geeks who have no clue how to write compelling tv. Just about every wrestler is already in a rut.. no one is growing or evolving their character...its the same crap every week... when AEW first started I found Darby Allen, MJF, Jungle Boy and a few others to be compelling characters with lots of potential... and here we are a year later and their characters have hardly grown... having the same matches with the same spots and same personality. Thats what happens when you book every match as 50/50 with no dq finishes... everything turns bland and mediocre. Where are the long term dramatic storylines to help characters get over? oh thats right they burnt through al of them in their first 3 months like MJF turning on Cody. People can blame the lack of crowds all they want but nxt is in the same boat.

Very dissapointed with AEW the last 3-4 months....it went from fun and entertaining where the 2 hours would fly by to what it is now.... just meh with no real reason to tune in anymore. Doesnt help with Cody hogging the spotlight every week and Moxley with a dud title run. Chris Jericho is the only reason why I still follow AEW... no one else really gets me excited. He is miles ahead of everyone... it really goes to show that the art of wrestling is dead.... these young guys just dont understand the art of wrestling and truly getting over.. they are too short sighted and it leads to early burn out.

Remember how excited Excalibur would get for every suicide dive through the ropes? well when you do it a million times you can only fake that excitement for so long.... and now AEW is paying the price with no long term plan. Cant believe im actually saying this but AEW might need vince russo.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
But there's plenty of wrestling on TV.

Why is AEW "our" only hope?

One mans good is another mans bullshit.
AEW is the only hope for wrestling fans who don't like WWE but want another international wrestling product to come in and do the same as what WWE does. Personally I don't care if AEW beats WWE in ratings or whatever I just care that they absolutely kill it week to week.

NJPW can't do that in the USA stopping their expansion at a tour every year, TNA was the closest we've got since WCW but they're now a large independent wrestling company drawing 200-300 thousand viewers a week on television.

ROH had good potential but is also an independent. MLW and NWA are mid ranged indies.

None of these companies have the budget to compete with WWE domestically EXCEPT AEW. This might very well be why most people view AEW as their only hope.

Lol they push Orange Cassidy and Matt Hardy, 2 guys you don’t like but some others do, and draw a low 550K rating for ONE segment, for ONE week, after the show started at 700k+, and all of a sudden their a “flop” and dead like they can’t bounce back 1 or 2 weeks later. Calm down my guy. This just means that they need to pivot, which of course they will do.
This is the problem with you AEW hardcore fans.

Yeah, 550k is their record low but the ratings have been going down ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE A MONTH ON AVERAGE! 100,000 people! The show starting at 700,000 and then dropping isn't a good thing it's a really bad thing because that means 150,000 people (Or more!) said "Fuck this, I'm out of this shit show" by the time the main event and Jericho/OC came out. That's not how you do television.

Can they bounce back? Maybe. We don't know just how many of those fans are done with AEW for good. For many people Orange Cassidy being a main event guy might very well be the last straw for them. We won't know until this weeks episode.

WWE have had a monopoly over pro-wrestling since 2001. When casuals think pro-wrestling, they think WWE. I can't imagine that another company will come along and overtake WWE.
People thought the same about WCW as well but they managed to do it. All it takes is a smart person and AEW very well could be competitive with WWE in the future.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
AEW is the only hope for wrestling fans who don't like WWE but want another international wrestling product to come in and do the same as what WWE does. Personally I don't care if AEW beats WWE in ratings or whatever I just care that they absolutely kill it week to week.

NJPW can't do that in the USA stopping their expansion at a tour every year, TNA was the closest we've got since WCW but they're now a large independent wrestling company drawing 200-300 thousand viewers a week on television.

ROH had good potential but is also an independent. MLW and NWA are mid ranged indies.

None of these companies have the budget to compete with WWE domestically EXCEPT AEW. This might very well be why most people view AEW as their only hope.

This is the problem with you AEW hardcore fans.

Yeah, 550k is their record low but the ratings have been going down ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE A MONTH ON AVERAGE! 100,000 people! The show starting at 700,000 and then dropping isn't a good thing it's a really bad thing because that means 150,000 people (Or more!) said "Fuck this, I'm out of this shit show" by the time the main event and Jericho/OC came out. That's not how you do television.

Can they bounce back? Maybe. We don't know just how many of those fans are done with AEW for good. For many people Orange Cassidy being a main event guy might very well be the last straw for them. We won't know until this weeks episode.

People thought the same about WCW as well but they managed to do it. All it takes is a smart person and AEW very well could be competitive with WWE in the future.
I really wish people would go back and look at my post history prior to November. Then check the posts from January to mid-March. Then check the posts afterwards.

I think I am a great barometer of the fan support given my two decade hiatus from the weekly wrestling audience. We want to give it the attention it deserves. When they do dumb shit like Butcher and Blade’s random entrance to kick Cody’s ass without anyone knowing who they are, or when the Dork Order kicks the Elite’s ass for apparently no reason, then we deservedly shit on it. When they put together bangers like January to Mid-March, we get excited and see “hope”.

What we see in the Pandemic Era is all similar to 80s/90s ha ha WWF-levels if comedy bullshit. What we see is a promotion doing as little as they can to save angles and feuds whilst making sure to simply keep a weekly show going to avoid being cancelled by TNT, which Alvarez has hinted is the case.

Well here’s a fucking idea. If not putting anything on TV means you get cancelled, then why not drop your fucking dick on the table while every other promotion is scared to run good tv without crowds and DARE Vince McMahon to try and be as creative as you are.

I can assure you, Kenny and the Bucks can write stories. Look no further than the older episodes of BTE. Just dare them to write the shit without a comedic side to it.

They can be great, but it is going to require someone, anyone challenging them to stop being scared and just go for broke.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
So they're not "our" only hope then. Got ya.
It is for wrestling fans who don’t want their intelligence insulted, yes. If you want to ostracise yourself, be my guest.

Lol they push Orange Cassidy and Matt Hardy, 2 guys you don’t like but some others do, and draw a low 550K rating for ONE segment, for ONE week, after the show started at 700k+, and all of a sudden their a “flop” and dead like they can’t bounce back 1 or 2 weeks later. Calm down my guy. This just means that they need to pivot, which of course they will do.
It highlights these guys have zero clue what they are doing. I don’t need companies continuously apologising for their bad content. Develop instincts for good content.

Bah gawd the WWE fans are flicking their bean senseless over last weeks viewing figures aren't they?
Not much of a WWE fan these days. Definitely flicking my bean seeing even some of the most staunch AEW apologists saying “Yeah, it’s pretty bad” though.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I really wish people would go back and look at my post history prior to November. Then check the posts from January to mid-March. Then check the posts afterwards.

I think I am a great barometer of the fan support given my two decade hiatus from the weekly wrestling audience. We want to give it the attention it deserves. When they do dumb shit like Butcher and Blade’s random entrance to kick Cody’s ass without anyone knowing who they are, or when the Dork Order kicks the Elite’s ass for apparently no reason, then we deservedly shit on it. When they put together bangers like January to Mid-March, we get excited and see “hope”.

What we see in the Pandemic Era is all similar to 80s/90s ha ha WWF-levels if comedy bullshit. What we see is a promotion doing as little as they can to save angles and feuds whilst making sure to simply keep a weekly show going to avoid being cancelled by TNT, which Alvarez has hinted is the case.

Well here’s a fucking idea. If not putting anything on TV means you get cancelled, then why not drop your fucking dick on the table while every other promotion is scared to run good tv without crowds and DARE Vince McMahon to try and be as creative as you are.

I can assure you, Kenny and the Bucks can write stories. Look no further than the older episodes of BTE. Just dare them to write the shit without a comedic side to it.

They can be great, but it is going to require someone, anyone challenging them to stop being scared and just go for broke.
How old are you ?

·
Registered
621 Posts
That main event rating is awful.

Lets face it, the dynamites since going back live have been shit.

I will watch Fyter fest but the crowds really cannot come back soon enough.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Not really. Only to certain advertisers.

And I don’t know why people think obnoxious crowds going mild are going to make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It matter because if you were let's say....50+ years old then your take on the situation would be less important.
Nah, I’m definitely not 50, even if I may come off like the Old Man Yells at Cloud meme haha, but I’m only 36 and feel I’m a perfect representation of the type of fan AEW should have been targeting. I’m one of the 2-3 million fans that literally turned wrestling off at the end of the Monday Night Wars.

Hell, I had never even watched anything Cody Rhodes had done prior to that first Dynamite. I had “heard” about All In and Double or Nothing, but I wasn’t about to get invested in some promotion that required me only watching on PPV or some obscure channel late at night.

Once Dynamite started, specifically on TNT which I still feel a strong connection to, I was invested. After the first showing aired, I immediately watched the replay that aired directly after like Nitro used to do. After that, I began to invest in everyone, needing to inform myself of who the unknowns were and what guys like Jericho had done in my absence. I went deep down the rabbit hole, predicting Sammy and Darby‘s feud being great television as I’d seen some stuff they done on the indies.

But yeah. I’m one of those long time NWA/WCW guys that simply refused to move past 2001 until I seen “...Wrestling on TNT.”

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
AEW has been not so hot after DoN.. I think they need to rethink their strategy, right now it seems like the shows are so good 2 month into PPV and they immediately lose all steam and slow down with average feuds and cards for like a month or two until the next PPV comes close. It works for PPVs but doesnt work for the fans that want the consistent quality each week, which I understand is very hard to pull off especially during a pandemic. But I think that is the problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not really. Only to certain advertisers.

And I don’t know why people think obnoxious crowds going mild are going to make that much of a difference.
the crowd was probably the best thing about aew.

the wrestling has never been the main attraction for me, it’s just the atmosphere is a lot better than wwe..... without that it’s pretty dull to watch like every wrestling show.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
the crowd was probably the best thing about aew.

the wrestling has never been the main attraction for me, it’s just the atmosphere is a lot better than wwe..... without that it’s pretty dull to watch like every wrestling show.
If that white, 35-45 year old crowd with their smarky chants is the best thing about a show, it might be time to go home. I’m not saying that crowds don’t help make a show or anything. But when that crowd is the BEST part? Hmm.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
If that white, 35-45 year old crowd with their smarky chants is the best thing about a show, it might be time to go home. I’m not saying that crowds don’t help make a show or anything. But when that crowd is the BEST part? Hmm.
And ?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
It’s overly white. Wrestling used to draw diverse groups consisting of people from all demographics. You could see it, hear it and feel it from those crowds.
And ?

I don't give a shit about if a crowd is white, black or yellow.
Hell they could be robots i would be ok with it as long as they react to the show.

·
Registered
621 Posts
for me a hot crowd makes or breaks a show. Hogan vs rock would have been shit in an empty arena So no idea why anyone thinks Moxley vs cage should be brilliant.

5861 - 5880 of 6399 Posts