Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4534 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

2019 stats for attendance, buys, ratings and views.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
To continue my discussion with imjustagame or whoever that poster is re: AEW's PPV buys.

Those buys are conflated numbers provided by Dave Meltzer. He combines the international numbers with the domestic ones. AEW seems to get ~60k buys domestically. Over half ECW's PPVs were doing better numbers than that, and by the end they were consistently getting about 99k buys domestically. The idea that they are the hottest thing since WCW is a myth.

And no, those numbers aren't bad. But you're insane if you get data like that back and don't act on it. By data I mean things Meltzer purposely glosses over when talking about their success. For example, Meltzer said that about 40% of the people who ordered All Out were return customers from Double or Nothing. He also said that the number was down for All Out. When you factor that 40% in to the difference between Double or Nothing and All Out's buy-rate, I think the number was something like a 30% retention rate.

So you can dance about selling a few PPVs. But you have to think about why two-thirds of a paying audience doesn't come back. It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like the content. It could just be the pricing of the shows. But it could be content. And when you've got Meltzer talking about their staying power on PPV, you've got to consider that most people who gave Double or Nothing a chance didn't come back, and that Full Gear was their first PPV experience offered to people they were reaching through television. Given a reasonable estimate of a PPV audience for a wrestling product seems to be about 5%, those TV ratings going down aren't a great sign either. With 700k viewers, they're looking at about ~35k buys domestically. If you're looking at splitting that money with Warner and the PPV companies, you're looking at a max of $875k off a show for AEW. Sure, there is also attendance and merchandising, but that's about the cost to put something on. Not sure if Warner covers the production costs of their PPVs or just the TV, but if Warner and PPV are split, which seems to be the case, then you're really looking at $437.5k for Warner at the end of the day, which probably means they're underperforming.

Call it spin all you want, but we'll see how Revolution does, hey? And then we've got Double or Nothing II, and then we'll have some year-to-year data to look at, and we can see whether or not AEW has grown its audience or not. It'll be very interesting if when the data comes back, it's 35k in 2020 compared to 71k in 2019. The spin will be in making that transformation look good.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

And that is a new companies’ first year

Amazing

·
Premium Member
461 Posts

Good to see all the stats. For PPV buys, we need more details as it should be split by domestic/international. As they are different price points and we can really see the increase/decrease going forward.

Also i'm curious about those average overnight DvR figures quoted of 540,000. Who exactly is verifying these figures. We are still to see AEW show up on the DvR charts which should be happening on a regular basis with such numbers. Either way, those numbers mean nothing unless they start watching live or ordering PPVs.

2020 is going to be interest for AEW, that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Good to see all the stats. For PPV buys, we need more details as it should be split by domestic/international. As they are different price points and we can really see the increase/decrease going forward.

Also i'm curious about those average overnight DvR figures quoted of 540,000. Who exactly is verifying these figures. We are still to see AEW show up on the DvR charts which should be happening on a regular basis with such numbers. Either way, those numbers mean nothing unless they start watching live or ordering PPVs.

Ether way 2020 is going to be interest for AEW, thats for sure.
I think you have to pay to have the numbers (the same thing than for the quarters numbers)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Ether way 2020 is going to be interest for AEW, thats for sure.
They did saw up on DVR charts the way of Thanksgiving show. Which was their lowest rating.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
They did saw up on DVR charts the way of Thanksgiving show. Which was their lowest rating.
That would make sense as everyone was watching the baseball game then.

But with an average of 540k, it means they had some weeks with 600-700k DvR based on Meltzers figures. This is over 75% of their average audience so should be showing up. I just wish people like Meltzer would provide links with evidence from real sources for these things. Without it, you have to be sceptical when the show doesn't show up on the official DvR rankings.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts

But with an average of 540k, it means they had some weeks with 600-700k DvR based on Meltzers figures. This is over 75% of their average audience so should be showing up. I just wish people like Meltzer would provide links with evidence from real sources for these things. Without it, you have to be sceptical when the show doesn't show up on the official DvR rankings.
They can't provide those links because there not allowed to do it.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

No it was the night before Thanksgiving show when they did 650,000 viewers. DVR numbers showed them gain 300,000 viewers on the chart that week. I have a feeling 12/18 show might make list since they only did 683,000 doing much lower then normal total.

But going off that data and not making list other weeks. It would maybe be 150,000 to 250,000 increase most weeks. Which would tell us around million people are still watching AEW every week. So Meltzer must be getting other data then just goes on the charts. Because his numbers suggust 1.2 to 1.5 million are watching every week. My guess it some type online stream stuff that don't get factored in on those charts. But yes I agree I wish he would explain it better.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
No it was the night before Thanksgiving show when they did 650,000 viewers. DVR numbers showed them gain 300,000 viewers on the chart that week. I have a feeling 12/18 show might make list since they only did 683,000 doing much lower then normal total.

But going off that data and not making list other weeks. It would maybe be 150,000 to 250,000 increase most weeks. Which would tell us around million people are still watching AEW every week. So Meltzer must be getting other data then just goes on the charts. Because his numbers suggust 1.2 to 1.5 million are watching every week. My guess it some type online stream stuff that don't get factored in on those charts. But yes I agree I wish he would explain it better.
Your explanation is more likely what is going on. But if true then those figures are intentionally misleading to make the show seem more popular than it is.

This is why i never believe Meltzer's numbers when it can't be verified by any other sources. As you say, the only week the show was on DvR chart, the increase was only 300k. So its virtually impossible for the average DvR figure to be 540k, if the show never showed up any other week.

This is all just common sense.

·
Spanish God
1,029 Posts

2020 is going to be interest for AEW, that's for sure.
I think they are calling it by the wrong name, that would mean most of the audience is watching on DVR instead of live. I think they mean 7 day DVR viewers, not overnight which would be counted in the Live+Same Day DVR ratings. 540k falls in line with what Dave Metzler has been reporting for 7day DVR.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I think they are calling it by the wrong name, that would mean most of the audience is watching on DVR instead of live. I think they mean 7 day DVR viewers, not overnight which would be counted in the Live+Same Day DVR ratings. 540k falls in line with what Dave Metzler has been reporting for 7day DVR.
Meltzer never said that the DVR numbers were overnight numbers.

·
Spanish God
1,029 Posts
Your explanation is more likely what is going on. But if true then those figures are intentionally misleading to make the show seem more popular than it is.

This is why i never believe Meltzer's numbers when it can't be verified by any other sources. As you say, the only week the show was on DvR chart, the increase was only 300k. So its virtually impossible for the average DvR figure to be 540k, if the show never showed up any other week.

This is all just common sense.
not true at all, the charts that show dvr numbers list by raw number and percentage increase, I showed in the old thread that if they are doing what Dave reported then they wouldn't be showing up in the charts because they wouldn't break the threshold in raw numbers or percentage increase for the weeks we have numbers for DVR viewership. They only showed up that thanksgiving week because there wasn't much of anything on that week that was new, and they were only in the 3day chart for percent increase, not the 7-day chart which only does raw total viewers and demo increase. So in 3 days, they gained 300k, and because they were not in the 7 day, that means the final DVR number was 301k-771k, which was the lowest number on the chart. Which is what that 549K is referencing. I don't always agree with his analysis of the numbers, but I don't see any reason to think these numbers are made up by Dave. Why aren't people questioning the quarter-hour numbers, those are not public at all.

·
Spanish God
1,029 Posts
Meltzer never said that the DVR numbers were overnight numbers.
I'm referring to the link above, "AEW Dynamite has an average of *540,000 DVR overnight viewers". If that is overnight, that means its same-day and counted in the live+SD ratings, which would mean most weeks half the people are not watching it live but later that night on DVR. I think they are referring to 7-day DVR numbers since it aligns with what Dave is reporting which is likely where they got that number.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I'm referring to the link above, "AEW Dynamite has an average of *540,000 DVR overnight viewers". If that is overnight, that means its same-day and counted in the live+SD ratings, which would mean most weeks half the people are not watching it live but later that night on DVR. I think they are referring to 7-day DVR numbers since it aligns with what Dave is reporting which is likely where they got that number.
I know that you're referring to that link ;)

But Meltzer never said "overnight" viewers when he talked about the DVR numbers on his podcasts.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
not true at all, the charts that show dvr numbers list by raw number and percentage increase, I showed in the old thread that if they are doing what Dave reported then they wouldn't be showing up in the charts because they wouldn't break the threshold in raw numbers or percentage increase for the weeks we have numbers for DVR viewership. They only showed up that thanksgiving week because there wasn't much of anything on that week that was new, and they were only in the 3day chart for percent increase, not the 7-day chart which only does raw total viewers and demo increase. So in 3 days, they gained 300k, and because they were not in the 7 day, that means the final DVR number was 301k-771k, which was the lowest number on the chart. Which is what that 549K is referencing. I don't always agree with his analysis of the numbers, but I don't see any reason to think these numbers are made up by Dave. Why aren't people questioning the quarter-hour numbers, those are not public at all.
Just comes down to it feeling really convenient that he says that AEW and NXT do so well on DVR yet AEW has only made one appearance on the DVR ratings rankings. It's easier to just trust it when there's no evidence released to dispute him with.

1 - 20 of 4534 Posts