Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
*coin drop*
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per Meltzer, it is looking like next summer for AEW's UK debut at Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC, the Khans' Premier League club (currently 6th in the table after a surprisingly strong start). Meltzer also backs up news that Revolution 2023 could be their debut in NorCal with Cow Palace and Chase Center under discussion.

I wouldn't say Craven Cottage is the most ideal venue for wrestling (that'd be somewhere like the O2 Arena), but there'll be zero rental costs and they'll just have to pay the usual matchday overheads (security, catering, etc.). Kind of like Daily's Place but on a much larger scale.

By then, the new Riverside Stand should be open, which is expanding and modernizing one side of the stadium and will increase football attendance from 25,700 to 29,600.

I'd expect fans from all over the UK to attend this and for it to be AEW's biggest attendance unless they run a U.S. stadium before then. I'd hope they also consider more than one show over here. Much like Canada where tickets flew out of the window and they underestimated demand, there'll be a lot of interest for a first-time visit to the UK. TNA's record attendance was in the UK, when they did 8,100 in London. AEW will easily pass that number.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Per Meltzer, it is looking like next summer for AEW's UK debut at Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC, the Khans' Premier League club (currently 6th in the table after a surprisingly strong start). Meltzer also backs up news that Revolution 2023 could be their debut in NorCal with Cow Palace and Chase Center under discussion.

I wouldn't say Craven Cottage is the most ideal venue for wrestling (that'd be somewhere like the O2 Arena), but there'll be zero rental costs and they'll just have to pay the usual matchday overheads (security, catering, etc.). Kind of like Daily's Place but on a much larger scale.

By then, the new Riverside Stand should be open, which is expanding and modernizing one side of the stadium and will increase football attendance from 25,700 to 29,600.

I'd expect fans from all over the UK to attend this and for it to be AEW's biggest attendance unless they run a U.S. stadium before then. I'd hope they also consider more than one show over here. Much like Canada where tickets flew out of the window and they underestimated demand, there'll be a lot of interest for a first-time visit to the UK. TNA's record attendance was in the UK, when they did 8,100 in London. AEW will easily pass that number.

View attachment 134136
TNA was more popular than AEW is.

People have been predicting an AEW stadium show for 2 years. A lot of AEW fans are overestimating how popular AEW is in the UK. It's not.

·
Registered
*coin drop*
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

People have been predicting an AEW stadium show for 2 years. A lot of AEW fans are overestimating how popular AEW is in the UK. It's not.
If you don't think they can top 8,100 fans, you haven't been paying attention. I'd place a large, very large, wager that they will. I won't make that wager in case you find betting insulting, but feel free to offer a wager of any amount and I'll take it in a heartbeat.

AEW has destroyed TNA in live attendance figures. The data is out there, it isn't even close. TNA sucked at getting butts in seats. Sucked at monetizing their product, period.

TNA's domestic record was 6,700 fans. AEW has bested that umpteen times. All TNA beat AEW in was more people watching during its peak, when more people were watching TV in general and far more people were also watching WWE. Hence why AEW's TV deal is worth way more than TNA's was, because contextually what they do is worth more in today's climate.

PPV buyrates are not even close either, TNA's best was 55~60,000 buys for Genesis 2006. Every single AEW PPV has eclipsed that. Even the novelty PPV, Forbidden Door, did 127,000+.

AEW just did its fourth $1m gate of 2022. TNA never even did a half million dollar gate.

Another guy who hates AEW so much he refuses to acknowledge what they do well. It's impossible to do good faith discussion with people who can't differentiate between personal biases and real life data. AEW is a bigger success than TNA and the cold hard facts/numbers show that. Facts > feelings.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
If you don't think they can top 8,100 fans, you haven't been paying attention. I'd place a large, very large, wager that they will.

AEW has destroyed TNA in live attendance figures. The data is out there, it isn't even close.

TNA's domestic record was 6,700 fans. AEW has bested that umpteen times. All TNA beat AEW in was more people watching during its peak, when more people were watching TV in general and far more people were also watching WWE. PPV buyrates are not even close either, TNA's best was 55~60,000 buys for Genesis 2006. Every single AEW PPV has eclipsed that.

AEW just did its fourth $1m gate of 2022. TNA never even did a half million dollar gate.

Another guy who hates AEW so much he refuses to acknowledge what they do well. AEW is a bigger success than TNA and the cold hard facts show that.
Mate it's been said numerous times that AEWs tickets are heavily papered.

You're also comparing a company which was literally built from nothing with very little backing behind it and exposure. With a company with a billionaire backer, big links in the media, his own venues and a rabid fan base who hated WWE.

When TNA was at its peak, WWE was still a very good show.

AEW also has the added bonus of a big social media network. TNA never had anything that resembled that back in the day.

If AEW is so popular in the UK, why are their ratings so shite on free TV.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
And to think this could have been Wembley had Shahid not been blocked from buying the national stadium.

I'm excited about this and my opinion of Craven Cottage as an event stadium is higher than most. There's an appetite from fans to see AEW on UK soil for the first time, I hope Sting's on the card because he'll be a huge draw by himself, then there's MJF, Wardlow, Darby, Britt, The Acclaimed - AEW made stars who for the first time will be coming to Europe as stars.

It'll draw fans from allover the British Isles and Continental Europe. I just hope the tickets aren't too pricey because it's going to be an expensive trip for a lot of them.

·
Registered
311 Posts

You're also comparing a company which was literally built from nothing with very little backing behind it and exposure. With a company with a billionaire backer, big links in the media, his own venues and a rabid fan base who hated WWE.

AEW also has the added bonus of a big social media network. TNA never had anything that resembled that back in the day.

You talk so much poppycock it's ridiculous. A shitty channel like ITV4 is pulling some decent numbers on a 2 day delay, plus you are not factoring in views on the ITV Hub streaming platform and not to mention FITE views. If you hate AEW so much GTFO. You are burning so much at the success of AEW. TNA couldn't do in it's 20 year existence what AEW has done even in it's debut year.

·
Registered
*coin drop*
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
"It's been said" - weak argument from the 'Tony Khan buys all the tickets!' tinfoil brigade. Every company comps and always has. Even the uber popular Premier League gives out comps at colleges and through products like Unilever (I know, I once got a VIP ticket to a game through them when I ran a business). AEW has done great real ticket sales before any need to comp. You comp later, not at the start, and AEW's pre-sales have spoken for themselves.

You just need to follow these things properly and not make remarks based on what WWEGareth or JobberNation tell you on Twitter. There were literally people annoyed they couldn't get tickets to the upcoming Canada Dynamite because they sold so fast (6,800 when they could've run that arena WWE did if Michael Buble didn't have it booked).

I recommend a Patreon sub to WrestleTix who cuts through the bullshit and is only £2 a month. He works his ass off to get real numbers before the companies embellish them, even covering WWE house shows. Instead of forming lazy 'I hear...' arguments. Those who have an active interest in the business side of wrestling can only facepalm at some of these 'so-and-so said' bad faith takes. WWE is currently doing GREAT ticket business too after a lull last year (when AEW beat them in various months despite a live events team that is about 20% as well-funded). AEW's hasn't been as consistently strong as last year in terms of numbers, but is still good and picking up again. They have followed the WWE route of bumping ticket prices, which has meant a lower average but more income. Grand Slam sold 13,321 (that's 2x TNA's all-time highest total paid + comp US attendance btw) compared to ca. 19,000 last year, but made more money because tickets were up to $30 more in equivalent sections.

Full Gear pre-sale tickets for the 13~14,000 Prudential Center flew yesterday. That is organic ticket sales, not papering. You don't paper crowds during the pre-sale before everyone else has had a chance to get one. That defies all common sense and reason.

You're the one arguing that TNA was more popular than AEW, now you seem to be making excuses why it wasn't. Panda has/d a net worth of $5b and spent a lot, just not very well. Dixie couldn't get butts in seats, negotiate a massive TV deal, or do big PPV buyrates. Tony Khan has managed all of that. Getting Hogan, Angle, Foley, Sting and Booker wasn't cheap, and these guys weren't pensioners then either so still had certain demands.

AEW has more people willing to spend money on it. AEW does bigger attendances, bigger PPV buyrates, has a better TV contract, better merchandise sales. It just isn't close. TNA always looked like a 'big indy' with its compact arenas. AEW has done attendances big enough that it looks like a 'big league' with actual fans in the second tier.

TNA couldn't efficiently monetize a product with remnants of wrestling's hottest period. AEW monetized a product with an organically successful group (Elite), a couple of top WWE stars (Jericho, Moxley) and a number of guys from the indies and later on, WWE releases/wantaways. Punk and Danielson came when they'd already established a strong presence in the market.

Arguable but WWE today is an improved show and AEW just did its fourth million dollar gate with far less manpower behind the scenes than today's WWE, with experts in every corporate department, has.

TNA also had the added bonus of tens of millions more people watching TV and PPV. AEW doesn't have anything resembling that in this day when millions upon millions cut the cord annually, leaving them a much smaller domestic audience to gain easy access to.

Social media merely compensates for what has been lost with live TV. Also, IMPACT/TNA's YouTube channel amassed 4.49m over the years, which is nothing to scoff at (and isn't helping their TV ratings at all). AEW is at 3.41m three years in.

Their ratings aren't that bad. They're on a two-day delay in the graveyard spot and have broken their record recently - 190,000 for Dynamite on August 10. At 11pm. On Friday. Two nights after the show aired live, with most serious fans watching it on FITE TV. I haven't watched it on ITV4 since 2019 and I bet many on here say the same. They're the most watched pro wrestling show in the UK, which obviously is because they aren't paywalled, but equally won't hurt when it's time to sell tickets. WWE just sold a fuck ton of tickets despite being less watched on TV than at any point previously due to BT Sports.

Oh, and AEW's ratings have done well enough lately that ITV have moved Grand Slam to 9pm on Friday. It's still not same-day (which probably doesn't bother Tony right now since they're making packets via FITE and the ITV contract is fixed) but it's a sign they're doing ok.

In the same year TNA did that 8,100 crowd in the UK, they had patchy ratings. Fewer streaming options then too.

'TNA Impact from October 29 did not make Bravo’s top 10, therefore drawing 30,000 viewers or less.'

July 30th TNA Impact drew 70,000

For the Week Nov 23 - 29, TNA Impact was below 37,000 viewers

U.K. TV ratings for the week ending September 6: TNA iMPACT did 43,000 viewers

So it appears more people in the UK are actually watching AEW than were watching TNA when they did their biggest attendance in London.

So, care to wager?

·
Registered
26,091 Posts
I'm glad they're doing it in the Summer. Drinks in Putney (or on a boat along the Thames) and then a nice walk along the river to Craven Cottage. It should be a good day out.
putney... bleh!

i lived there for a bit, did not enjoy

Richmond though... I'm all about Richmond XD

·
Registered
311 Posts

View attachment 134136
Looks like a shit hole compared to some of the more modern, refurbished footy stadiums but it will do. No doubt they will sell out.

·
Registered
Noodle bull!
6,313 Posts

Riiiight!

Would you like a condiment to eat your words with when it sells out within two hours?

All I have to say is fuck yeah! About bloody time!

Because in the UK, we have this thing called the internet, where you can watch it whenever you like on any smart device.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
This will be a sellout, and I can’t wait. U.K. fans love their wrestling, and they’ll pack the place for that roster.

Saying that, Craven Cottage is a shit hole 😂😂😂 Get it in the o2 Khan you tight wanker. Or even the new CoOp in Manchester. But Craven fucking Cottage? It’s a stadium with one tier.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts