Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
Said it before - a streaming service which includes aew, gcw, mlw and maybe impact

i am all about that - they can even keep the ppv separate - as legit said, no need to lose that revenue

but i think aew will just end up on HBO max

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
7,510 Posts
They'd have to add more companies to it if it's a service provided by AEW, because AEW itself isn't appealing enough nor does it have enough history to have its very own service. If it's just a section on HBO then sure.

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,466 Posts
I have been saying this for a while now, but HBO Max adding a wrestling hub would the best direction. Most of it would be AEW's library, but they could also post the weekly episodes of Dark/Elevation. This would also come with another major money contract. Tony could negotiate a deal with other wrestling companies to add their content/libraries like Impact/TNA, NJPW, etc. A lot of them would be pretty receptive considering the platform they would move to. ROH would be the tough one since Sinclair might be stubborn. NJPW's only deal is with Roku TV, but that wouldn't take much to buyout. This is only in the US though. The rest of the world will still have FiteTV.

I would also have people pay $9.99 for the live AEW PPVs. HBO Max doesn't currently offer live content and Warner has talked about adding it since they launched. Warner could use AEW as a testing ground for their first live programming. It would be huge publicity for AEW to pilot that and it could get some fresh eyes on the product.
Impact/TNA already have a straming service deal with Pluto TV and their own "network" It wouldnt be beneficial for them to give that up.

NJPW have a streaming service, it wouldnt be beneficial to give that up

RoH has a streaming deal that they use to go with their merch deals it wouldnt be beneficial for them to give that up. They wont even give up All In and that is as much an AEW production as it is theirs.

MLW has a deal with Vice, it wouldnt be beneficial for them to give that up

Why do people keep bringing up HBO Max. HBO is and always has been about programming that they make themselves, so they aren't short on content, which is highly different than Peacock was at the time of their launch.

I don't want to sound like I am picking on you.... but every time this discussion comes up HBO Max is the first name blurted out and I don't see why, were there negotiations or something that were reported?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
This is huge news for a wrestling company that's only been around for a few years.

The only people bothered by this are the fanboys who are drinking Vince's Kool Aid.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Too early...AEW is too young and WWE owns the library of just about every wrestling company worth watching. If they step into streaming, they are going to have to deliver more than just a 2 year old company's short library. They will need to be able to produce live shows, PPV's and other original content for a reasonable rate.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
It is a little too early but may not be as far off as people think. TK has been deliberately building a big library in record time and has spoken about streaming more than once.

A way for AEW to sell a streaming service is to create off-shoot brands that they can film on the cheap.

There are concepts they can run monthly or even half-yearly which would further justify the ongoing roster expansion:

• Lucha libre/latino focused (Andrade, Fenix, Penta, PnP, Fuego)
  • Pure wrestling style with three rope breaks and strict rules (Danielson, Fish, FTR, Angelico, Serena)
  • Women's only shows
  • Hardcore specials (Moxley, Eddie, Nick Gage, Janela)
  • Cinematic specials (like EC3's The Narrative)
  • Forbidden Door specials (guests from IMPACT, NJPW)

They should also have enough legends now to make some fairly interesting original documentaries.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The cool thing about WWE Network is I can go back and relive Attitude Era, Ruthless Aggression Era, 35+ years of WrestleMania's, WCW, ECW etc.

The cool thing about Impact + is I can go back to the Asylum years, the mid naughties, the Hogan Era etc.

What going to be unique about a streaming service for a company that's only been around 2 years?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts