Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32,149 Posts
That article didn't really say shit but the obvious of a streaming service would be a good move and they got to build up content.

Did the interview say more to indicate it's happening soon?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
If they get there own streaming service or partner with HBO max it will be huge and even more content and even more exposure for them which is only a positive.

Still think that is a couple of years from happening though.

Streaming services are the now and the future.

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
Not a chance of his own. Aew will be on hbomax which is a zillion timed better move aside could push even more money for its next tv deal In a few years. I assume when that time comes it will be on TV and hbomax at the same time. Anyone that has hbomax unlikely has cable at all, so it should be on both

Imagine specials on hbo

·
Butter My Arse
12,593 Posts
loools they should call it the AEW NOTWORK.

sound of a million pins dropping

Er…I have access to Fite which is almost like an AEW library already anyway. I think it has every Dynamite/Rampage episode on there?

·
Registered
DEREK CARR IS ALL ELITE/AVALONS #1 FAN
3,951 Posts
loools they should call it the AEW NOTWORK.

sound of a million pins dropping

Er…I have access to Fite which is almost like an AEW library already anyway. I think it has every Dynamite/Rampage episode on there?
It won't once they get there own service or put on HBO max.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
According to Cagematch, there have already been 1168 matches in AEW. To put that into perspective, the same source lists 1832 matches in TNA/IMPACT from the year 2002 until now.

There may be a method behind those 12-15 match Dark cards, where Tony Khan can bulk up the AEW archive for a streaming deal in future whether its self-hosted or on HBO Max. He should really buy the TNA library too, I believe it's the most valuable US wrestling archive not owned by WWE.

·
Registered
DEREK CARR IS ALL ELITE/AVALONS #1 FAN
3,951 Posts
According to Cagematch, there have already been 1168 matches in AEW. To put that into perspective, the same source lists 1832 matches in TNA/IMPACT from the year 2002 until now.

There may be a method behind those 12-15 match Dark cards, where Tony Khan can bulk up the AEW archive for a streaming deal in future whether its self-hosted or on HBO Max. He should really buy the TNA library too, I believe it's the most valuable US wrestling archive not owned by WWE.
All this forbidden door shtick could carry over to this streaming too as others mentioned bundling all the indy orgs with AEW would offer up an awesome package.

Same thing DAZN did initially during its launch in the US market.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,457 Posts
I'm 50/50 on this because most of Tony's profits come from the $50-60 PPVs. He'll lose a lot of money if he adopts the $5.99 WWE model.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm 50/50 on this because most of Tony's profits come from the $50-60 PPVs. He'll lose a lot of money if he adopts the $5.99 WWE model.
Tony Khan does not care about making a profit, this is all his dad's money. The only thing he cares about is beating WWE in ratings. Tony Khan will sign the whole WWE roster if he has too.

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
he’s said plenty times most of his money comes from live tv

hence why putting big matches on live tv so often

but IMO they win’t go the 5.99 model if its any consolation

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,457 Posts
he’s said plenty times most of his money comes from live tv

hence why putting big matches on live tv so often

but IMO they win’t go the 5.99 model if its any consolation
Revenue=/=Profits

Those PPVs are largely profitable, especially successful ones like All Out.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

I have been saying this for a while now, but HBO Max adding a wrestling hub would the best direction. Most of it would be AEW's library, but they could also post the weekly episodes of Dark/Elevation. This would also come with another major money contract. Tony could negotiate a deal with other wrestling companies to add their content/libraries like Impact/TNA, NJPW, etc. A lot of them would be pretty receptive considering the platform they would move to. ROH would be the tough one since Sinclair might be stubborn. NJPW's only deal is with Roku TV, but that wouldn't take much to buyout. This is only in the US though. The rest of the world will still have FiteTV.

I would also have people pay $9.99 for the live AEW PPVs. HBO Max doesn't currently offer live content and Warner has talked about adding it since they launched. Warner could use AEW as a testing ground for their first live programming. It would be huge publicity for AEW to pilot that and it could get some fresh eyes on the product.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
it all kinda goes in the same pile at the end of the day
Also, AEW only get 45% of the PPV money since they split it with the PPV distributor. So they receive $22.50 as revenue from the $50 PPV price. If they were on HBO Max, they would likely negotiate a deal that would account for that revenue. Either, HBO Max charges for the live content and gives AEW a cut of that or the contract they agree to is lucrative enough to account for the lost revenue.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Paying $5 per month on Fite. Happy to go up to $10 per month including ppv. I don't repeat watch mich stuff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts