Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to stack your roster with wwe midcarders then atleast pick a good one. Riley as the muscle of inner circle would be better. He looks intense and is bigger than Hager. Plus he could be a great babyface and a good feud for Jericho down the line. Given that he returned to wrestling about half a year ago I dont know why they didnt think about him.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Re: Aew shouldve picked up Alex Riley instead of Hager

I don't think Riley is bigger than Hager? Isn't Hager like 6'6"?

Also, is Riley even still wrestling? IIRC Alex Riley's career tanked because people didn't like him backstage. For all we know, that could include Cody.

TBH I think Cody is mostly bringing in WWE midcarders that he is friends with.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts

The last time we saw Riley he gave himself a nickname of "The White Lion" like a teenager on Warcraft. He can stick to GLOW or whatever else he's up to. I don't like Hager either but Riley is easily a worse choice.

·
Premium Member
16,731 Posts

Jack is bigger by a couple inches and pounds, and a real MMA fighter. There's a big difference in presence.

I would love to see Riley on commentary though! He was my favorite commentator in NXT. I love Mauro, Corey, Phillips, but Riley was great at selling authenticity to moves and stories.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Hager is bigger than Riley. No knock on Riley, who had something, but just couldn’t put the other things together.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

Aside from oddly thinking Alex Riley was better than Jake Hager despite him having much less to offer than Hager, I'm especially confused about the whole "wanting to load your roster with WWE midcarders" line.

In the entire mens roster there are only 7 people to have been in WWE, Cody who is one of the founders of the company, Dustin Rhodes who is Cody's brother and has been serving as a veteran gatekeeper role when he even is on TV, Pac who is established in Dragon Gate despite being a midcarder in WWE and likely had CIMA put a good word in for him, Jake Hager who had a winning Bellator record besides just being in wrestling, and Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley who even if they were in the midcard for good chunks of time in WWE they both have been main eventers on more than one occasion. The only one who has any kind of argument about "Oh you're just hiring WWE midcarders" is Shawn Spears.

Their womens roster only has 3 women who have been in WWE, and one of them not even signed. Awesome Kong who is more remembered for her time in Impact than her time in WWE anyway, Brandi Rhodes who besides being there for being Cody's wife was just a ring announcer in WWE anyway, and Leva Bates who was just a PPA jobber in NXT. (And it's not like she's doing anything besides jobbing anyway)

So criticizing AEW for "loading their roster with WWE midcarders" when only a fraction of their roster has been in WWE is a bit foolish, most of the roster has spent more time in ROH, NJPW, Impact and hell more from CZW than they have in WWE.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Aside from oddly thinking Alex Riley was better than Jake Hager despite him having much less to offer than Hager, I'm especially confused about the whole "wanting to load your roster with WWE midcarders" line.

In the entire mens roster there are only 7 people to have been in WWE, Cody who is one of the founders of the company, Dustin Rhodes who is Cody's brother and has been serving as a veteran gatekeeper role when he even is on TV, Pac who is established in Dragon Gate despite being a midcarder in WWE and likely had CIMA put a good word in for him, Jake Hager who had a winning Bellator record besides just being in wrestling, and Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley who even if they were in the midcard for good chunks of time in WWE they both have been main eventers on more than one occasion. The only one who has any kind of argument about "Oh you're just hiring WWE midcarders" is Shawn Spears.

Their womens roster only has 3 women who have been in WWE, and one of them not even signed. Awesome Kong who is more remembered for her time in Impact than her time in WWE anyway, Brandi Rhodes who besides being there for being Cody's wife was just a ring announcer in WWE anyway, and Leva Bates who was just a PPA jobber in NXT. (And it's not like she's doing anything besides jobbing anyway)

So criticizing AEW for "loading their roster with WWE midcarders" when only a fraction of their roster has been in WWE is a bit foolish, most of the roster has spent more time in ROH, NJPW, Impact and hell more from CZW than they have in WWE.

The minute you name one negative about Aew the butthurtness comes out like jeez. Aew is my favorite promotion but ya'll are like followers of a religious sex cult or something with the defensiveness. Like I said in my post below majority of there most prominent guys have a wwe history. Jericho has been there for 20 years, so had Goldust. Cody has basically spent his entire career there, so has hager and spears. Moxley also had a huge run there and Pac did a few years. If you look at the top 10 singles guys probably 7 or so have a big history in wwe. Not exactly ideal when you are trying to be an alternative show with a different identity.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts

I have to admit I was a fan of Riley. Both the stuff he did with The Miz and the stuff he did in NXT

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,919 Posts
The minute you name one negative about Aew the butthurtness comes out like jeez. Aew is my favorite promotion but ya'll are like followers of a religious sex cult or something with the defensiveness. Like I said in my post below majority of there most prominent guys have a wwe history. Jericho has been there for 20 years, so had Goldust. Cody has basically spent his entire career there, so has hager and spears. Moxley also had a huge run there and Pac did a few years. If you look at the top 10 singles guys probably 7 or so have a big history in wwe. Not exactly ideal when you are trying to be an alternative show with a different identity.
First off, nobody is butthurt.
Second, it’s not a negative people are taking exception to, it’s the stupid and invalid premise that the rest of your assertions are based on.
Third, the rest of your assertions are just as dumb as the original premise.

That’s not butthurt, that’s just pointing out how impossible it is to take anything in the post seriously. People bitching about supposedly butthurt AEW fans can’t seem to be able to make this distinction.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Hager is about 1000 times better than Riley and being properly utilized in aew.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts