Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the battle of New York taking place this Friday. In one corner we have the pride of Yonkers and a man who would beat your ass in bed stuy while spitting immortal technique or nas verses at you Eddie Kingston. Taking on a guy who probably went to prep school and had a warm bed to sleep in while not having to wonder if that was a car back firing or shit popping off in Daniel Garcia.

This is also why you don't have an Australian whose only experience of new York is musicals, sitcoms, police procedurals and other new York related TV medium promote a new York match but I digress.

Inb4 someone tells me buffalo is actually terrifying and Yonkers isn't

Anyone this is rampage baby

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,445 Posts
Really good card actually.

As always, I look forward to seeing a Garcia masterclass, should be a good hard hitting match which I imagine Kingston goes over.

Always a pleasure seeing Riho. Should be another good match. Can see her pushing Britt close before eventually losing.

Cole/Fish to win and move on. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Does anyone think it's a little "Russo-esque" for the women to have a Black Friday themed match? "These broads will kill each other while shopping. Get it, Bro?"

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Pure WWE style match. Beat the champion for a shot at the champion. Lazy. Awful.

Reactions: Wolf Mark

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Since most of the top women are in the TBS tournament, it makes sense to have probably the most high profile woman not in it to have a quick program with Britt, and that's the first ever champion Riho. Otherwise, Britt is going to be sat on her ass for a while because 4 of the top 5 are still in the tournament.

Eliminator matches are nothing new to AEW anyway, the majority of them have been won by the actual champion though except Penta/Eddie vs. Bucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A challenger beating the champion in a non-title match goes back to at least the early 1980s. It definitely isn’t exclusive to Vince’s booking. The first time I can remember seeing it was during the British Bulldogs vs Hart Foundation rivalry. I remember seeing both the NWA and the AWA use it with Flair and the (Midnight) Rockers title reigns.

Most matches back then were squashes on Saturday morning tv. It is the laziest booking today when bookers lean on it like a crutch to help them keep the title on whoever the champion is. We rarely saw ANY WWF title matches on the regularly scheduled syndicated shows that those “Big 3” companies ran for most episodes. A match between two pushed wrestlers wasn’t always a weekly guarantee either. The “non-title match” was a crafty way of creating stakes while saving title matches for WWF’s SNME or NWA’s Cllash events and house shows, of course.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Does anyone think it's a little "Russo-esque" for the women to have a Black Friday themed match? "These broads will kill each other while shopping. Get it, Bro?"
Isn't it more like a "black Friday deal" match for Riho only?. Since she gets the world title shot without rankings if she beats the champ.

·
Southern Pride
Bless Your Heart
6,002 Posts
Sure, ill tune in to watch a pissed off Eddie Kingston. Start the "Eddies going to kill you" chants now.

Yeah, the "beat the champ to get a title opportunity" thing I do wish would stay out of AEW. One of the things that make AEW fresh is when they don't do the typical WWE nonsense. I could maybe be okay with it if they just simply say "Riho is a former Women's Champion and it's an option only for former Champion's" but other than that...don't keep doing this AEW.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
AEW has been doing these beat the champ and get a shot type matches since the beginning. So, it's an AEW thing as much as it is a WWE thing. I personally think it's only a problem if the champ is taking a bunch of Ls because it makes the champ look weak.

I guess I can see the perspective where someone doesn't think the champ should be having non-title matches. If anything, TK is screwing Riho over by not just giving her a shot at the belt, since she is a former champion and didn't get eliminated from that Battle Royale.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Isn't it more like a "black Friday deal" match for Riho only?. Since she gets the world title shot without rankings if she beats the champ.
I dunno. I guess I misinterpreted the promo and thought this would be a gimmick match similar to the one Britt had with Abadon for Halloween.

I'm a little afraid that if Britt stuffs Riho in a shopping cart full of thumbtacks it might awaken something in me.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I dunno. I guess I misinterpreted the promo and thought this would be a gimmick match similar to the one Britt had with Abadon for Halloween.

I'm a little afraid that if Britt stuffs Riho in a shopping cart full of thumbtacks it might awaken something in me.
Pretty sure it's just a fancy name for eliminators contendership match. Let's see what it is.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,445 Posts
AEW has been doing these beat the champ and get a shot type matches since the beginning. So, it's an AEW thing as much as it is a WWE thing. I personally think it's only a problem if the champ is taking a bunch of Ls because it makes the champ look weak.

I guess I can see the perspective where someone doesn't think the champ should be having non-title matches. If anything, TK is screwing Riho over by not just giving her a shot at the belt, since she is a former champion and didn't get eliminated from that Battle Royale.
Yeah, AEW has legit used it since day 1. They just give it a special name.

It's wrestling, the WWE doing something horribly should never stop an actual competant booker from doing it. Especially something as tried and true.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Finally a better card than the last couple of weeks. I'll be honest though, I have no interest in the main event whatsoever.

Undisputed was stale in NXT, so what are they doing, bringing a new version of it to AEW? And Best Friends are...well...Best Friends.

Baker vs. Riho should be the main event. I have no idea why Riho wasn't in the TBS tournament. I heard she had a bad reaction to the vaccine but I thought she got better?

1 - 20 of 185 Posts