Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
AEW has to protect their top stars like Tye Dillinger :eyeroll

Why are they pushing this WWE reject again? Oh right, Cody's friend.
Austin was a WCW reject, not comparing Spears to Austin just saying this is a dumb take. You have no idea really what SS can be like unleashed. And I hate to break this to you but Cody is one of the biggest stars in all of wrestling today and will probably make Spears (who WWE failed to use almost at all) relevant in this feud for the rest of his career.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Going by internet reaction people barely even refers to the dude as tye dillinger anymore.
People are underestimating the ability of aew to rebrand their guys. In not even a month, no one will remember tye dillinger and everyone will remember his story and history with cody. Mark my words!

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I think people forget Spears started as a heel. He looks like a heel

The 10 gimmick was not the 10 chant the NXT smark crowd turned it into

It was of a disgruntled guy, that claimed he was actually the Perfect 10, and wasn’t given the opportunity

It is a dick gimmick, and he’s going to play it like one

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Apparently they put him back in an indy show ( don't know if it's the same show) but an indy promotion posted today on the internet that aew put him back on the card.
( he responded that he doesnt care , he is obviously in character but still :lol)
That's correct. After the situation got out on social media he was suddenly cleared after days of saying he wasn't. For the record, I'm a big fan of the guy and have been for a while. I just thought this situation wasn't up to what AEW had been saying they are about

·
C Mac G
5,965 Posts
The thing is, if AEW want to succeed they really need to make sure that they don't push any former WWE jobbers to the top. Now if it's a guy who was a main event caliber guy who was misused in WWE (Ambrose) that's different. But pushing a guy who was literally a jobber with 0 accomplishments in WWE is just a mistake.

Another thing is, people tend to gravitate towards AEW because they are supposed to be different and do things differently. Well so far Cody's been pushing himself and his buddies and putting them on the spotlight, the same thing that people bashed the HHH and the McMahons for.

But ultimately, pushing this dude is a mistake because he's just not good enough period.
There are two ways to view this, your way of thinking, or the other in that they push Spears(not to be the top guy, but give him a chance), and Spears thrives and it makes WWE look even more retarded.

Either way of thinking isn't necessarily bad, but I don't think you can say one is wrong vs the other.

·
Banned
54 Posts
There are two ways to view this, your way of thinking, or the other in that they push Spears(not to be the top guy, but give him a chance), and Spears thrives and it makes WWE look even more retarded.

Either way of thinking isn't necessarily bad, but I don't think you can say one is wrong vs the other.
I hope that’s the case. But I know Cody is one of their top guys and they’ve inserted this hack in a program with Cody right away. Hopefully they don’t just push the guy straight to their main event scene. If anything let him work his way up the card and see if the fans like the dude or not before pushing him.

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
Smart move given Evolve is with WWE. But Spears is going to be the next Sandow once the "he's free from restraints" newness has worn off. Dudes late 30s hes not about to be some break out star or great midcarder.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Smart move given Evolve is with WWE. But Spears is going to be the next Sandow once the "he's free from restraints" newness has worn off. Dudes late 30s hes not about to be some break out star or great midcarder.
I don’t know — Sandow turned out to be surprisingly bad when everybody thought he just needed to be able to spread his wings. Spears at least had a decent run in NXT before moving up to that black hole known as the main roster. I think there’s a lot more potential there. Breakout star, probably not, but good, solid midcarder I think is a real possibility. Or he could majorly flop — we’ll all find out soon enough.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,033 Posts
Sandow had no desire for wrestling left in him and the only reason he did TNA to have an income while chasing the acting business. It was obvious from day one. You can't compare both guys and their mentalities.

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
I don’t know — Sandow turned out to be surprisingly bad when everybody thought he just needed to be able to spread his wings. Spears at least had a decent run in NXT before moving up to that black hole known as the main roster. I think there’s a lot more potential there. Breakout star, probably not, but good, solid midcarder I think is a real possibility. Or he could majorly flop — we’ll all find out soon enough.
Sandow had good runs as the intellectual savior and as Mizdow. I just don't see anything special in him that makes me think he'll ever be a worthwhile player even as a midcarder. He's not awful at anything, but he's not good at anything either. He's just decent. To me I feel his fandom and the good will is just sympathy that he's had a pretty much worthless (in the grand scheme of things) career.

I mean even in NXT what were his standout moments? I don't remember ever seeing "oh you got to see that Tye match/promo". Even with the 10 thing was it a case of that being a really good character, or folk just glad he found fucking something.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Sandow had good runs as the intellectual savior and as Mizdow. I just don't see anything special in him that makes me think he'll ever be a worthwhile player even as a midcarder. He's not awful at anything, but he's not good at anything either. He's just decent. To me I feel his fandom and the good will is just sympathy that he's had a pretty much worthless (in the grand scheme of things) career.

I mean even in NXT what were his standout moments? I don't remember ever seeing "oh you got to see that Tye match/promo". Even with the 10 thing was it a case of that being a really good character, or folk just glad he found fucking something.
I gotta plead ignorance on this one — I’ve never seen NXT, I’m only going by what I’ve heard. I haven’t seen anything good or bad of the guy, so I’m kinda starting off with a clean slate on him. Whatever he did or didn’t do in WWE doesn’t count, because they ruin 99% of their talent. Enough people have said his work in NXT was decent, so that’s enough to give me hope that he’s not a total charisma vacuum. But I’m leaving room for the possibility that he’s another Sandow, and hopefully the AEW braintrust will know when the experiment is a success or a failure.

·
Banned
8,928 Posts
Ince the weekly show starts noone should be allowed to work anywhere else unless they have a working partnership to exchange talent.

It creates more importance that way

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
I gotta plead ignorance on this one — I’ve never seen NXT, I’m only going by what I’ve heard. I haven’t seen anything good or bad of the guy, so I’m kinda starting off with a clean slate on him. Whatever he did or didn’t do in WWE doesn’t count, because they ruin 99% of their talent. Enough people have said his work in NXT was decent, so that’s enough to give me hope that he’s not a total charisma vacuum. But I’m leaving room for the possibility that he’s another Sandow, and hopefully the AEW braintrust will know when the experiment is a success or a failure.
While they do ruin some and don't utilize others to the fullest I don't think he's one of them. He's just really meh. I think once the Cody thing is over he's going to fall off.

·
Super Moderator
25,839 Posts
Yeah, I'm not super high on him either tbh. I didn't even want AEW to sign him lol, I figured he was Impact-bound if anything. That said, I'll give him a chance and see what he can do in the build and match against Cody.

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
Yeah, I'm not super high on him either tbh. I didn't even want AEW to sign him lol, I figured he was Impact-bound if anything. That said, I'll give him a chance and see what he can do in the build and match against Cody.
I expect the Cody match to be killer, Cody is putting on great Big matches as of late. But after that I don't really expect much of him. I could be wrong and he kills it, but I just can't imagine him breaking out this late in his career. Only person I can think of that really broke out this late in their career is Mark Henry.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
I'd give Shawn Spears a fighting chance here, AEW has had only a few shows so they are still building their way to their weekly TV. Even though he hasn't done a lot, I do think he's being used right at least.

·
Banned
4,891 Posts
Shawn Spears is way better than someone like Corbin who had one of the most screen time on RAW for over a year now despite being mediocre.
That's delusional.

If Corbin was in AEW right now people like you would be drooling over him. Corbin shows more personality with a smirk than Spears has shown doing anything in his entire career.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts