Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shawn was to appear next week for Limitless Wrestling in Maine against new EVOLVE signing Anthony Greene. However he was pulled last minute by AEW for the reason of a "video shoot" even though he committed to this date before signing with AEW. Shawn's replaced by Tommy Dreamer on the Maine promotion's show.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2475364929375973&id=1674314902814317

I thought AEW were about working with other promotions??? Weird.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
I’d prefer if their talent became more exclusive anyways.
Think it's a poor idea unless they run house-shows on the weekend. Helps give the wrestlers some opportunity to try ideas for TV. Shawn Spears being one of those guys that might desperately need opportunity to put some ideas to the test. A guy like him, near-permanently stuck in WWE developmental hell probably doesn't have the best feel of what freedom means and putting ideas out into the wild.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have to wonder of its because of Retro AG. I say that because AG recently signed with EVOLVE. And EVOLVE is basically developmental for NXT with WWE even airing it on their network now. So AEW wouldn't want one of their main event guys losing to a pseudo WWE guy. Much like WWE did pulling Toni Storm from her match in Japan against Bea Priestley recently, who has yet to even appear on AEW tv.

·
Registered
860 Posts
EVOLVE is associated with WWE first and foremost, and WWE recently pulled this stunt by pulling Toni Storm from a show when she was scheduled to compete versus Bea. Second off, AEW have said time and time again, that internationally their talent is free to work wherever as long as it doesn't conflict with AEW, but in America, their talent is exclusive to them, especially once television approaches/starts.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
They let their talent do indy but they still have the priority, that's the minimum. He is needed to have a very important interview with jr which is gonna be a defining moment for the rebranding of his character.
I mean did people actually expect them do not have at least the priority other their talents?....come one...

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,636 Posts
I know that AEW has the priority and that stuff and I get that, so I wouldn't blame them, I would blame Spears, since it seems like he signed this contract before signing with AEW and was regularly saying that he would appear, so it seems really unprofessional of him to cancel that at the last moment.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I understand why people hate Shawn.

But in my view, they could redeem him to an upper mid card, DDP type guy. I have listened to him on interviews and he seems quite knowledgeable and down to earth. He deserves a second chance. Give him a good 6 months. If he fails to connect, then they take the blame. I have a feeling Shawn could enhance Cody or any talent if they give him some credibility. Nothing but respect for him. The perfect 10 gimmick was never meant to succeed but he ran with it and made it work.

·
Banned
54 Posts
I understand why people hate Shawn.

But in my view, they could redeem him to an upper mid card, DDP type guy. I have listened to him on interviews and he seems quite knowledgeable and down to earth. He deserves a second chance. Give him a good 6 months. If he fails to connect, then they take the blame. I have a feeling Shawn could enhance Cody or any talent if they give him some credibility. Nothing but respect for him. The perfect 10 gimmick was never meant to succeed but he ran with it and made it work.
The thing is, if AEW want to succeed they really need to make sure that they don't push any former WWE jobbers to the top. Now if it's a guy who was a main event caliber guy who was misused in WWE (Ambrose) that's different. But pushing a guy who was literally a jobber with 0 accomplishments in WWE is just a mistake.

Another thing is, people tend to gravitate towards AEW because they are supposed to be different and do things differently. Well so far Cody's been pushing himself and his buddies and putting them on the spotlight, the same thing that people bashed the HHH and the McMahons for.

But ultimately, pushing this dude is a mistake because he's just not good enough period.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
EVOLVE is associated with WWE first and foremost, and WWE recently pulled this stunt by pulling Toni Storm from a show when she was scheduled to compete versus Bea. Second off, AEW have said time and time again, that internationally their talent is free to work wherever as long as it doesn't conflict with AEW, but in America, their talent is exclusive to them, especially once television approaches/starts.
This is the first thing I thought when I saw this the whole EVOLVE/WWE connection.

·
Lethargic Llama, follow me on twitter
3,481 Posts
Most Indy/AEW fans don't see him as a WWE jobber, they see him as someone who was misused. Plus he was barely on TV so casuals won't recognize him. I have no problem if they push him as long as he delivers.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,372 Posts
I know that AEW has the priority and that stuff and I get that, so I wouldn't blame them, I would blame Spears, since it seems like he signed this contract before signing with AEW and was regularly saying that he would appear, so it seems really unprofessional of him to cancel that at the last moment.
It is possible he didn't know that the video shoot was that day hence the cancellation.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
The thing is, if AEW want to succeed they really need to make sure that they don't push any former WWE jobbers to the top. Now if it's a guy who was a main event caliber guy who was misused in WWE (Ambrose) that's different. But pushing a guy who was literally a jobber with 0 accomplishments in WWE is just a mistake.

Another thing is, people tend to gravitate towards AEW because they are supposed to be different and do things differently. Well so far Cody's been pushing himself and his buddies and putting them on the spotlight, the same thing that people bashed the HHH and the McMahons for.

But ultimately, pushing this dude is a mistake because he's just not good enough period.
So Al Snow should have never been pushed in ECW? Or Raven?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Apparently they put him back in an indy show ( don't know if it's the same show) but an indy promotion posted today on the internet that aew put him back on the card.
( he responded that he doesnt care , he is obviously in character but still :lol)

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Here's the thing. Right now they have to build this feud with YouTube vignettes. Most people who are tuning into AEW are smarks. They know that Cody and Shawn have a history, that Shawn helped train Cody and they were OVW tag champs back in the day and are/were good friends. So it's easy to tell that story in vignettes then to explain why some rando would attack him.

Until they have a weekly show to build storylines they are going to push/lean on the few people that a majority of the fans might recognize. Once they get more of a pulse on who the fans are connecting they will adjust their pushes accordingly. The Elite are putting themselves in the spotlight because they are the biggest stars the company has right now outside of Jericho and Moxley.

I'll use myself as an example of a casual fan. I stopped watching wrestling for 12 years and didn't watch again until WrestleMania last year. I have no idea who Tye Dillinger is. Never saw him in NXT and the only thing I remember of him on the MR was him on the phone with R Truth telling him he was in the wrong city.

Many people who might be coming back to wrestling because of AEW are probably in the same boat.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts