Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
29,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At TripleMania XXVII, Cody participated in a post-match "puto" chant while celebrating with Psycho Clown & Cain Velasquez following their trios victory. "Puto" carries a homophobic connotation, but is regularly used by Psycho Clown following his matches. You can view a clip of Cody alongside Clown & Cain at the 58-second mark of Road to AEW All Out Episode 4.

AEW promotes itself as an all-inclusive promotion, and while he's an active wrestler, Cody is also the co-Executive Vice President of the company. OutSports reached out for comment on Cody participating in the chant and was given the following statement by an AEW spokesperson:

“Cody joined his teammates at AAA TripleMania for what he understood to be their post-match tradition in Mexico and was unaware of any negative connotations. Certainly the last thing Cody would want to do is to hurt or offend anyone, anywhere."

Pentagon Jr. also used the slur at AEW All Out during his ladder match against The Young Bucks.

Pentagon's use of the word was not addressed in the statement. AAA did not respond to Outsports' request for comment.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/aew-issues-statement-regarding-cody-s-participation-aaa-triplemania-xxvii-post-match-chant

·
Registered
729 Posts
At TripleMania XXVII, Cody participated in a post-match "puto" chant while celebrating with Psycho Clown & Cain Velasquez following their trios victory. "Puto" carries a homophobic connotation, but is regularly used by Psycho Clown following his matches. You can view a clip of Cody alongside Clown & Cain at the 58-second mark of Road to AEW All Out Episode 4.

AEW promotes itself as an all-inclusive promotion, and while he's an active wrestler, Cody is also the co-Executive Vice President of the company. OutSports reached out for comment on Cody participating in the chant and was given the following statement by an AEW spokesperson:

“Cody joined his teammates at AAA TripleMania for what he understood to be their post-match tradition in Mexico and was unaware of any negative connotations. Certainly the last thing Cody would want to do is to hurt or offend anyone, anywhere."

Pentagon Jr. also used the slur at AEW All Out during his ladder match against The Young Bucks.

Pentagon's use of the word was not addressed in the statement. AAA did not respond to Outsports' request for comment.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/aew-issues-statement-regarding-cody-s-participation-aaa-triplemania-xxvii-post-match-chant
:deanfpalm

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I always thought it meant the ‘c-word’

Which we use as a term of endearment almost to mates anyway in the rest of the world :D

Oh well... who cares really?

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
Um what? Fairly certain puta translates to “bitch” or “whore” in English so that website is full of shit @ Outsports.

Edit: Misread the word.
Tbf this was my first thought reading the article as well :lol

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Just reading the article - its not like aew did a press release or tweeted an apology - or that there was ‘outrage’

A “journalist” asked and they answered. - hardly an official “statement” of apology - just a ‘yeah, here’s your crumbs’

And rightly so

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Puto has several meansings. The direct translation is literally "fucking". It can be used as an insult to homosexuals, but most of the time it isn't used in that context. Most of the time it's used as an insult to cowards and traitors. I would say that the closest word we have in the US is Cocksucker. And just like Cocksucker, it can have a homophobic meaning, but is often used as a general insult. I suppose it could be close to Mother Fucker as well, which also has a double meaning, but is used as a general insult.

I think the context in which it's used during matches is to call someone a coward.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Puto is a bad word in Spanish, it literally translates to male prostitute but I think it has diff meanings depending on what area your from and how you say it.

Puto is slang for bitch/fag - Puta = bitch/slut

When Penta says it in the ring its usually after he gets hit, he's telling his opponent "go screw your mom, biotch!" but it's also ring psychology...hit me harder or im not backing down

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts

Who cares? They should use it more often now. Be controversial, use it. It's not like anyone's actually offended by this, right?

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Yep who cares, people are to sesntive. Call someone a mail prostitute, so what. And in other news the joker is apparently going to be the mot successful rated R movie of all time

Bed wetters should go back ti sleep

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
There is a quote from a comedian I like

He says “taking offence is like saying to people - ‘here, i can’t handle my emotions - you do it for me’ “

And I agree with that - its BS. If you do stuff and it irks me - I’m going to stop watching or walk away. I’m not gonna force you to ‘change your act’

People think they are the centre of the world these days and its just horrible

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.