Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think now Full Gear is done, I'm hoping they start to bring others into the fold a bit more. A lot of the first episodes were spent on the tag tournament and building to the matches for Full Gear.

I thought the Buy In was their best one so far and it had only one match which actually had some stakes because of the concussion storyline from Fight for the Fallen. The video packages, especially for Bucks vs PnP were awesome.

Cody, The Bucks, Page and Omega all lost so can't be accused of the Elite booking themselves too strongly.

MJF had little or no time on TV but now they've pulled the trigger on him turning on Cody, we should see him pushed to the forefront. Jake Hager still hasn't wrestled yet... I think they still have stuff up their sleeve.

I agree with all comments about women's division, Sakuras Freddie Mercury shtick makes even less sense because Daniels also does something similar with SCU entrances sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
It's important to notice problems in the product is something everybody can agree on, and most people seem to be level headed enough to not wear rose colored glasses. I really enjoy the product, and would agree on some aspects you mentioned, although some of them I disagree 100% on, like blaming Omega for the entire women's division like he somehow is in charge of it all (he wants to bring in more joshi women, who have been the best part of the women's division so far), or the complaints on the characters, specifically bringing up their Halloween special stuff (when they aren't going to be doing that other than that one day).

But I do wish they would put more emphasis on some of their up and coming talent (by featuring them on specific episodes, putting together video packages, or giving them promo time). Wrestlers like like Darby Allin, MJF, Jungle Boy, Scorpio Sky, Hangman Page, and others would benefit a lot from this. They also could cut back on their match times as well, given while I do like most of what they've been doing in that regard, they so overdo it semi-often and go past the point of where they should finish matches, while also overdoing certain spots (take the canadian destroyer or the dive to the outside for example). And I think their women's division should be focused on others, instead of Britt and Brandi. Riho is great, but I watched Sakura and she was excellent, Jamie Hayder is good, Shanna I think could be the babyface they were looking for in Baker, and you have up and comers like Big Swole who has a ton of potential.

So yeah, the problem in this thread right now is you have a couple who are wearing rose colored glasses and have an issue with any sort of criticism brought up to them, but you also have plenty who are complaining that it's all just lame workrate with no character, no stories, and no promos. I really do question the people who hate mostly everything about AEW, while also hating WWE, and am curious if you want to watch wrestling or have you just grown out of it. Maybe instead of complaining so often perhaps it's time to find a new hobby.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Regarding the criticisms about better developing characters, I get it. But don’t forget, they’ve spent most of the last three weeks building up Full Gear, focusing mostly on the titles. And they’ve only been on tv six weeks. That’s just not a lot of time in two hours a week. They’re slowly building their characters up their own way (i.e., not with endless fucking PROMOS), and I expect they’ll get back to more if that now that the ppv is over. They can’t possibly establish a whole roster in this short a period of time. Be patient.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Regarding the criticisms about better developing characters, I get it. But don’t forget, they’ve spent most of the last three weeks building up Full Gear, focusing mostly on the titles. And they’ve only been on tv six weeks. That’s just not a lot of time in two hours a week. They’re slowly building their characters up their own way (i.e., not with endless fucking PROMOS), and I expect they’ll get back to more if that now that the ppv is over. They can’t possibly establish a whole roster in this short a period of time. Be patient.
Yup. Theyll have a lot more time before the next ppv to build stories. I wish The Undercard had better build before full gear but it's all forgiven if they start building it pretty great soon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Right but they hopefully weed out some of the acts that didn’t work the first set of shows through Full Gear. Dark Order, Private Party, Shawn Spears, and Jimmy Havoc should only be on Dark for sure through the next PPV.

MJF should get the lion share of that time becoming available and Darby Allin should get the rest. Sammy Guevera is developing really well, Jungle Boy needs to wait on Luchasuaras to return.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think dark order just needs time with some packages or a mic. No one gives a shit about their gimmick but I personally like them in the ring and I have a general feeling most think they're pretty good in the ring. They just look silly with no build

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
AEW have produced plenty of positives so far, two things they must improve on though is putting emphasis on character work and they must improve their roster in certain areas.

The likes of Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy and Emi Sakura have been using their gimmicks for years; however AEW haven't explained why these certain wrestlers use their certain gimmicks. Darby Allin is one of a few who has been given the time to explain his gimmick, he cut a great promo yet his promo package wasn't shown on tv, that was pure stupidity from AEW.

Since then though they do seem to be learning, over the past couple of weeks we've seen more promos but this needs to be a continued trend, they need to do more to showcase their talent instead of shoving them in matches and telling them "Just go out there and do your thing".

As for the roster the top of their card is strong, their midcard talent though is the equivalent of what you see on 205 live or an independent promotion like ROH. Some guys and girls will impress and break through, Sammy Guevara and Darby Allin in particular look like they belong, meanwhile Shanna and Jamie Hayter look to be good additions to the Women's division.

A lot has been good but they must do better in certain aspects, putting more emphasis on character work is a must, they must make viewers care about their roster, WWE continuously make that error, I don't want to see AEW fall into that trap.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Outside of all the things already said.

Can AEW please do a couple of things for me that would really help in the future?

Establish Ref rules please. What accounts for a hard DQ across all boards? Not a single ref should allow a chair shot, but maybe a ref allows a belt spanking, ect...

PPV matches = let the boys play for the most part unless someones getting a 100% clear advantage? Let's please fully explain these even with a rule sheet online or something, it's getting tiresome trying to figure out if the Ref is seeing the action and if he / she is, how it's not a DQ.

Can we also get an explanation of the Rankins System on Dynamite by possibly a scorekeeper? Maybe make it a 5 minute promo to sell that portion of the company. It would only help both the casual audience and make everything definitive.

I currently know that rankings matter, but quality of win and quality of opponent matter as well, which I both love and dislike. I think quality of opponent should always matter, however, quality of win? That kind of makes heels odd to book with rankings. If they win by DQ then maybe they don't move up in the ranking? Idk, kinda breaks the Heel vs Babyface thing.

But let's just explain all of this since for 1, it's confusing quite a lot of us with what's a DQ and what isn't, and 2 since we're supposed to be accepting this to be much more sporty. We need set in rules so we can follow

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
not a problem, but I really want to see T-Hawk and El Lindaman back in AEW soon.

I know CIMA is having problems with OWE and China right now, so maybe that is the holdup.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Suicide Dives, RKO's and Canadian Destroyers need to fuck off for a while. They are so overused. They need to give attention to other acts too. They can't put everything on the shoulders of The Elite/Jericho and Mox if they are going to flourish. The people getting consistent time are all coming off great (Sammy, Private Party, PNP, Darby) The women's division is garbage. Britt sucks, Bea sucks, no one cares about Emi Sakura. Thankfully Shanna and Hayter help a little.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Canadian Destroyers are definitely overused across wrestling these days. It was like the reverse hurricaranas a few years back when every indy match had three of those in them and 95% of them looked like shit.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts