Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they announce this on the show and I just missed it?

AEW has finally released past PPVs on DVD up until Double or Nothing in May. Strangely, there is nothing announced for Blu-ray but I guess overall most people still only have DVD players. Good move to get more eyes on their product, especially internationally.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Did they announce this on the show and I just missed it?

AEW has finally released past PPVs on DVD up until Double or Nothing in May. Strangely, there is nothing announced for Blu-ray but I guess overall most people still only have DVD players. Good move to get more eyes on their product, especially internationally.

It was initially announced...at the PPV. Haha

But yes, I remember seeing it on Dynamite I believe.

Reactions: Two Sheds

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,023 Posts
Lol nice I’m gonna cop all that shit once the Blu-Ray versions come out

I haven’t bought a wrestling DVD since WM17

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
AEW should release Blurays versions, not just DVDs.

I’m sure there will be a Best of Dynamite, Best of Dark & Best of AEW eventually too.

Looking forward to the day when they release AEW Uncut, featuring all of their matches that go to picture-in picture with the commentary on FITE.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm a DVD collector; and they are basically the same format as a Ring of Honor DVD; which is nice.

The physical piece of the box artwork and DVD look good. I don't know if it's me; but the quality of the DVD Rip of the PPV; looks poor. Not sure if it's the cameras they used to shoot the show; the compression; the bright lighting they use or just a bad rip. The DVD's cram 4 hours of awesome action in.... but sadly i think Blu Ray would be better in their case. All other wrestling DVDs look better in my opinion. I assume it's much cheaper/easier to produce a DVD instead of Blu Ray. Also perhaps a streaming service down the road.

I contacted their customer service on the DVD quality ; and never got a response. I didn't want anything; i just wanted to let them know; something went wrong as it looks grainy/white lines.

Also with the 10% discount & 17$ shipping (That took 2 weeks to arrive) ; it came out to slightly above 25$ per DVD in total average for the 5. My total with 126 i believe for the 5.

Side note; Ring of Honor is running 50% off DVDs this week; which you can get a 10 DVD set (best of 2019 shows) for only 25$... it included G1 Supercard at MSG (regular verison sold out); and then basically the 8 of the best shows from 2019 they didn't already release. Damn good deal in my opinion. It's even cheaper if you have HonorClub. Plus stuff like the 17th anniversary show for like 3$. NWA Crockett Cup was like 4$. They also got a Best of Will Ospreay still left in stock. I think ROH was planning to start moving away from DVDs in 2019; but in 2020 with COVID; they kept releasing them to make some money during the pandemic.

·
Registered
18,324 Posts
To be honest that price is way too expensive in today's media market. It should be much less. Especially with all the options available.

·
Premium Member
14,383 Posts
If you can’t do it properly (meaning 4K blu-ray) don’t do it at all.

This is the equivalent of releasing on VHS 10 years into DVDs existence.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't agree with this after the amount of shows I've run into that aren't on DVD OR Blu-Ray. Fuckin hell, I would take a VHS collection of some of the rarer things I'm trying to find at this point.

Lol nice I’m gonna cop all that shit once the Blu-Ray versions come out
They're not coming out. There literally aren't enough people who watch AEW to release this on more than one format. If there was, they would have released it on both formats when there is actually some demand.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts

This is the equivalent of releasing on VHS 10 years into DVDs existence.
I don't know about 4K, but why release DVDs locked into standard def when you could have 1080p Blu-Ray, it's not like Blu-Rays are that expensive to make these days. I mean yes it's technically more expensive than DVD but if you can spend 2 million on Shawn Spears I'm sure you can buy some packs of BD-Rs...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Wow I didn’t know people still used DVDs
I never made the switch to the Bluray, personally. I have a bluray player but I buy DVDs cause they are cheaper and I like the bigger box size. I only have a few bluray disks and it's only when there are can't miss extras on it.

And if I really want something for the picture, I get a 4K box.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It'd be cool if AEW did release VHS tapes of their PPV's, I'd buy just for the novelty

I cherish my WWF and WCW VHS tapes

·
Registered
242 Posts
I never made the switch to the Bluray, personally. I have a bluray player but I buy DVDs cause they are cheaper and I like the bigger box size. I only have a few bluray disks and it's only when there are can't miss extras on it.

And if I really want something for the picture, I get a 4K box.
I actually just bought Twilight Zone 1959 on DVD instead of Blu-Ray because of the box, it's a legit thing. The Blu-Ray one is ugly as hell.

Anyways, I think it makes sense to focus on the format more people can access given there probably isn't a huge amount of people looking to buy these. Since these are made to order, they might just not have the setup to make both DVD's and Blu-Rays.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't do something like include an autograph in each case, as these DVD's are made to order according to their site. They have like 80+ wrestlers signed, have all of them sign 100 autographs a month (they don't even need to be on photos or anything, they could just be cards) so you always have a bigass pile of them, and put them into these dvd's randomly. They'd probably sell WAY better and it wouldn't be THAT much extra work. I mean yeah, some people would be butthurt to pull a Marko Stunt instead of a Moxley, but that's business baby

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well there's 25% off everything at the moment (code: BF2020) so the $25 DVDs are $18.75 and $20 DVDs are $15. I'm tempted to buy them but don't have a DVD player right now, so they'd just be for show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts