Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

· Registered
7,724 Posts
I'm on the fence, there's big franchises of M rated games like GTA and CoD but those are more the exception than the rule, and AEW is going for more of an adult fanbase with the TV-14 rating target and giving out bloody hardcore matches and occassional deathmatches on TV, but at the same time there's going to be some parent who thinks "Oh this is the game my son asked for, ohhh this is M rated, but this WWE 2K23 is rated T, and it has the nice man from the credit report and car commercials on the cover! This is basically the same thing, he'll love it".

M rating is far from a death sentence for a game like some people have thought but it's not inconsequential either.

· Registered
6,404 Posts
I'm on the fence, there's big franchises of M rated games like GTA and CoD but those are more the exception than the rule, and AEW is going for more of an adult fanbase with the TV-14 rating target and giving out bloody hardcore matches and occassional deathmatches on TV, but at the same time there's going to be some parent who thinks "Oh this is the game my son asked for, ohhh this is M rated, but this WWE 2K23 is rated T, and it has the nice man from the credit report and car commercials on the cover! This is basically the same thing, he'll love it".

M rating is far from a death sentence for a game like some people have thought but it's not inconsequential either.
The WWE game will be more expensive though

And the kid would demand to exchange the game anyway... no AEW kid wants a WWE game. If they're watching AEW, they'd think WWE is lame as hell (especially with Cena on the cover).

Plus, an M rating would make some kids want it more, since it's the cooler thing you're not supposed to have. They all watch review videos before buying, the kid will know exactly which game they want.

Not sure if it hurts algorithms for advertising or something though... if it's just a negligible tweak to lower the rating, then fair enough, but I'd think there's enough positives to an M rating to justify not editing it down further just to lower the rating if it gets rejected again

· Registered
7,724 Posts
The WWE game will be more expensive though

And the kid would demand to exchange the game anyway... no AEW kid wants a WWE game. If they're watching AEW, they'd think WWE is lame as hell (especially with Cena on the cover).

Plus, an M rating would make some kids want it more, since it's the cooler thing you're not supposed to have. They all watch review videos before buying, the kid will know exactly which game they want.

Not sure if it hurts algorithms for advertising or something though... if it's just a negligible tweak to lower the rating, then fair enough, but I'd think there's enough positives to an M rating to justify not editing it down further just to lower the rating if it gets rejected again
I'm not arguing the kid wouldn't want it more, I'm saying what an ignorant parent would think in the store. As for the price thing would it be? I thought console games were a pretty standard $60-$70 across the board these days?

· Registered
3,291 Posts
i mean…. Dead island then

or dead space

parents have been buying their kids horrible shit for ages, why are we pretending its gonna stop now?
Why are you going to ignore the statistical proof posted by someone earlier in this thread? That Teen rated games do better than mature rated? Let’s not forget that AEW blew their budget with this game. They need to maximise profitability and it’s all well and good saying “kids still get M games”, but you need to back that statement up with strong facts and evidence that it will do just as well as a teen game

· Registered
801 Posts
i mean…. Dead island then

or dead space

parents have been buying their kids horrible shit for ages, why are we pretending its gonna stop now?
Again look at the over all sells of m compared to teen.

Many M games DONT sell as well as teen. By all accounts outside of very successful m games.
Teen is better

Parents will buy the super popular m rated game.

They won't buy any random m rated game

· Registered
27,475 Posts
Why are you going to ignore the statistical proof posted by someone earlier in this thread? That Teen rated games do better than mature rated? Let’s not forget that AEW blew their budget with this game. They need to maximise profitability and it’s all well and good saying “kids still get M games”, but you need to back that statement up with strong facts and evidence that it will do just as well as a teen game
i’ve not seen statistical proof - i’ve just seen a comment

and a general one at that - it won’t be valid until it compares T vs M on a known entity

like would Silent Hill as a known entity sell better at T vs M

· Registered
27,475 Posts
Again look at the over all sells of m compared to teen.

Many M games DONT sell as well as teen. By all accounts outside of very successful m games.
Teen is better

Parents will buy the super popular m rated game.

They won't buy any random m rated game
‘Many M games’ means nothing

we’re talking about a known property with an already dedicated fanbase

· Registered
3,291 Posts
i’ve not seen statistical proof - i’ve just seen a comment

and a general one at that - it won’t be valid until it compares T vs M on a known entity

like would Silent Hill as a known entity sell better at T vs M
People saw this game as a vessel to grow the business and now I can see people are settling on “the hardcores will buy the game” because of mUh bLoOdZ

· Registered
801 Posts
‘Many M games’ means nothing

we’re talking about a known property with an already dedicated fanbase
Aew has NO where near the fan base of ANY of the games you're talking about

Deadspace has over 8 million fans.

Aew has maybe a million (and not all of them play games)

Again most m rated games DONT sell well.

Aew doesn't have millions and millions of fans.

Being dedicated means nothing. Doesn't mean that they will buy the game. Watching wrestling and playing wrestling games are no where near 1 to 1

· Registered
27,475 Posts
Aew has NO where near the fan base of ANY of the games you're talking about

Deadspace has over 8 million fans.

Aew has maybe a million (and not all of them play games)

Again most m rated games DONT sell well.

Aew doesn't have millions and millions of fans.

Being dedicated means nothing. Doesn't mean that they will buy the game. Watching wrestling and playing wrestling games are no where near 1 to 1
elden ring, witcher 3, bioshock, skyrim - we gonna pretend they all had massive fanbases when they started out?

dead space did not start with 8m - it grew from 0 to 8m

just saying M doesn’t sell as well as…. does nothing, prove it - compare a known property’s sales when it was T vs M

· Registered
27,475 Posts
People saw this game as a vessel to grow the business and now I can see people are settling on “the hardcores will buy the game” because of mUh bLoOdZ
what are you on about? there is a dedicated fanbase that will buy it no matter what - which’ll put it on the radar of other wrestling and fighting fan gamers if its decent, and then no rating will stop its sales

as long as its decent

· Registered
801 Posts
elden ring, witcher 3, bioshock, skyrim - we gonna pretend they all had massive fanbases when they started out?

just saying M doesn’t sell as well as…. does nothing, prove it - compare a known property’s sales when it was T vs M
Ellden ring. Yes, it was dark souls which is one of the most sucsesfull series of all time
Witcher 3. Once again yes, Witcher 3 was the 3rd game in the series witcher 1 and 2 were also rated m. Where is their glass shattering records? Oh that's right. They didn't.

Bioshock infinite had the most sells at 11 million.
The others had about 4x less then thay

Skyrim

Youre... kidding right? Skyrim is the 5TH main line game in one of the most popular game series of all time.

Their first game? Only had 3000 sales the first year.

· Registered
801 Posts

Dead space

Have over a million sales in first year and they still called it "unremarkable"

It didn't do great. Aew doesn't have a fan base that can pull 1.4 million without question.

What at all points to aew being able to for sure get 1.4 million copies sold?

· Registered
27,475 Posts
Ellden ring. Yes, it was dark souls which is one of the most sucsesfull series of all time
Witcher 3. Once again yes, Witcher 3 was the 3rd game in the series witcher 1 and 2 were also rated m. Where is their glass shattering records? Oh that's right. They didn't.

Bioshock infinite had the most sells at 11 million.
The others had about 4x less then thay

Skyrim

Youre... kidding right? Skyrim is the 5TH main line game in one of the most popular game series of all time.

Their first game? Only had 3000 sales the first year.

bro, nobody played witcher 1 and 2, c’mon

or any other skyrim

and even if they did…. The dedicated fanbases were small to decent size… like….. AEDub friend!

fact is, i have a google list of great selling M games and i just keep giving you examples, and you have yet to give me an example of a known property that sold better when it dropped its rating

like, give 3 examples and i’ll concede

41 - 60 of 109 Posts