Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1852 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I guess someone probably fucked up the graphic for the Janela/Havoc/Darby/MJF/Spears/Guevara match and made it look like it was a six man tag and not a six way like it was supposed to.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts

Fyterfest montage bit was top notch.

I think it's a six way match vs a 3 vs 3 tag match, but I can understand the graphic could cause confusion. No way would MJF and Spears team up - even if forced together. I think the storyline will be MJF goes after Spears, but only as long as it doesn't hurt his chance to win ad might even work with him in spots.

You can see the seat of the chair deform instantly on the chair shot - the seat was gimmicked, but the back rest caught Cody and sliced him open.

Timing of Spears being walked out and MJF still in the back - does that make sense timing wise? Wouldn't MJF be in the ring at that point?

Brandi's segment was good, a bit long for what is otherwise a nothing match. Maybe this montage could have been saved for a bigger match/bigger moment. I don't know.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

Fyterfest montage bit was top notch.

I think it's a six way match vs a 3 vs 3 tag match, but I can understand the graphic could cause confusion.

You can see the seat of the chair deform instantly on the chair shot - the seat was gimmicked, but the back rest caught Cody and sliced him open.

Timing of Spears being walked out and MJF still in the back - does that make sense timing wise? Wouldn't MJF be in the ring at that point?

Brandi's segment was good, a bit long for what is otherwise a nothing match. Maybe this montage could have been saved for a bigger match/bigger moment. I don't know.
yep i could automatically see the chair was gimmicked it deformed almost immediately and you can see the back hurting him. Sad tho
As for the brandi segment, I think it is fitting. They needed to justify why she is in this match and they needed a strong justification so that it doesnt feel like "I am cody's wide lol" here she can tell her story and all.
You know the next one with the bucks/Rhodes brothers and Jericho is gonna be up there!

Also I used to think the realisation of the video packages were what made it so strong, but no. It's the way the characters are presented, they present them like actual human being and they are genuine. Showing those videos of brandi doing the rink was cool. I immediately asked myself "duh why didnt she do that and came into wrestling( which is a much more uncertain domain)". The thing with brandi is that the stephanie mcmahon comparison is fast to come. So them outright presenting her like that and making her somewhat likeable ( despite her heelish things) is good.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
I think they purposely did the slow motions to the chair shot to show it was a gimmicked chair so some of the "fake outrage" can finally die down (which it already has anyways).

Either way, I liked it. Got people talking one way or another and will be the catalyst to the Cody/Spears feud.

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
I'd like an apology from all the screechers who gave this company so much bad publicity so early in their time. That shot was awesome and a little mistake happened.

And it got treated like the second coming of Chris Benoit.

Overreaction is becoming too common these days. Outrage is too encouraged.

Whatever happened to prudence, temperance, and wisdom?

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Well all elite wrestling has always been known to have good promos and this is yet another one example of that I think they're doing a great job and you're going to see progression and great things on television I guarantee it

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
I'd like an apology from all the screechers who gave this company so much bad publicity so early in their time. That shot was awesome and a little mistake happened.

And it got treated like the second coming of Chris Benoit.

Overreaction is becoming too common these days. Outrage is too encouraged.

Whatever happened to prudence, temperance, and wisdom?
Expecting the wrestling fans to use common sense and logic rather than immediate emotional reaction and furor in 2019?

That was your first mistake.

Now I definitely wish The Bucks didn't blurt out it was gimmicked. The outrage lasted two days at best. What a non factor it was.

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
Expecting the wrestling fans to use common sense and logic rather than immediate emotional reaction and furor in 2019?

That was your first mistake.

Now I definitely wish The Bucks didn't blurt out it was gimmicked. The outrage lasted two days at best. What a non factor it was.
I've got a feeling that these guys realize how easy to manipulate the American fanbase is and utilize it to craft a great story that surprises the shit out of them and gets them to realize there's more to wrestling. There's so many E-Drones these days, to be expected.

But that requires a slow burn. I've got the feeling we're in the middle of it...

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,636 Posts
If they are really gonna make Spears and MJF team up, especially after what happened to Cody and the bit where they were yelling at each other, well that's just dumb

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
If they are really gonna make Spears and MJF team up, especially after what happened to Cody and the bit where they were yelling at each other, well that's just dumb
Unless MJF turning on Spears is part of the story of the match of course.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
Kayfabe-wise who is the match maker? Who would be he "they" in your question? Is it a faceless AEW front office person making the matches, is it Cody?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Mjf is having an heart attack over the internet about being paired with shawn spear :lol
I td people the wrestlers dont boon their own match. Spear and mjf can hate eat others if the company decide to pair them they have to. Now it's about will they play it like a good well written angle ? The story is what's important, at least for me

·
Le Champion
18,652 Posts
It would make a lot more sense if the match is a 6-way but I'm fine if it's a 6 man tag as well. MJF and Spears trying to coexist would be interesting.

Also that bit was Brandi was excellent.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
If they are tagging, it's perfect. Sure, WWE scuffs that type of dynamic up hence why people might be paranoid. But MJF and Spears are going to be super protected so if it is a tag match, I think the dynamic makes that match a must-watch.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I will make this simple, when you dont like your coworker, do you think your boss gives a shit about your personal feelings to pair you together?
Exactly, now in wrestling. With some rare exception, the wrestlers dont book the March. The company does, so mjf and spears hating each others isnt aew's match makers problems, people dont need to be friends to be paired together.in fact look at both team, it's your basic heel vs face match, But it comes that two heels actually hate each others.this is literally proving why the "all heel loves each others" mentality wont come to play. They are character before being stereotypes
Also pairing some people that are in a rivalry together is a plot device to develop the story without having them fight each others before the ppv.

·
Registered
23,383 Posts
Look, I'm obviously going to be in the minority on this subject but if people are going to keep bringing it up, so will I. I'm still going to give them shit for that chair shot, on multiple levels.

Here's the thing, they did purely for the shock of an unprotected chair shot. So even if you take out the "how could you do that!" element of it, it still looks BS. Why? Because Cody had 2-3 seconds to see Spears swing a chair at his head and get his hands ups.

Because in any real fight, if someone is swinging something at your head, you get your hands up. But Cody fucking leaned into the shot. So it was clear as day what they were doing. And they did it for shock value. So purely from an execution stand point, it sucked. And before you anyone says it, I don't care how big of a pop it got. When I see someone clear as day lean into a chair shot, any semblance of realism goes out the window.

And despite their efforts, something still goes wrong. Cody still got hurt because of it, and it could have been worse for all we know. And afterwards, you had everyone from Tony and The Bucks having to explain what really happened. So now if they ever tried to do a moment like that again, which they shouldn't, it's going to look bush league because now we know the secrets.

And at the end of the day, I don't care if it was gimmicked. You do not need an unprotected chair shot to the head to sell me on this feud especially when you execute it so poorly and make it so obvious what you're trying to do and play on an element in wrestling and more importantly in sports that doesn't need to be played up on. It's something that's unneeded and something I don't care to see.

And I feel I have to keep saying this because you now have people looking down on people for simply saying they don't want to see something like that. Like, again, I don't care if the chair was gimmicked. I don't care if Cody wasn't in as much danger as we initially thought he could have been. I don't want to see something like that. And even If I was more open to it, I'd still call them out for how poorly it was executed.

Now, all of that out the way. The idea of a 6 Man Tag is interesting and MJF and Spears trying to co exist would make for fun dynamic that would eventually implode. And Allin, Havoc, and Janela teaming up after the thread I mean.....destiny bitches.

The Brandi promo was interesting. It's not a tragic sob story by any means but it's something that any person can relate to. The idea that you perform great when there's no pressure but crash and burn in the big moments. Does it make me any more interested in her as a wrestler? Can't say it does, but even still, learning more about these men and women is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Brandi part of the video was perfect... imagine being able to do in like 4 minutes for Brandi Rhodes on YouTube, what WWE can't do across several episodes on live, national television for Nikki Cross. I'm sold on Brandi and the Brandi/Allie match.

161 - 180 of 1852 Posts