Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1852 Posts

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
They haven't really showed that Page is a great worker yet, the guy was in the G1 last year and held his own pretty damn well.

The real problem though is that so far AEW already has alot of great characters and Page is being overshadowed in that respect by Moxley, MJF, Omega, and of course Jericho.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm going to say this about Page, though. They need to really establish his character and motive relatively soon before All Out in August. Why is he "Hangman"? Why should be invested in him as a title contender or someone who can beat a legend like Jericho? For the hardcore Elite fans, it may be redundant but for the casuals and new AEW fans they will look to grab, they need to convince us as to why Page is going to be a superstar for their promotion.

I don't doubt that they can't do it. The videos on Darby Allin, Private Party, and MJF prove to me they can get Adam Page across as someone fans will get behind but this harkens back to the Kurt Angle/Bobby Roode feud and match at BFG 2011 for the TNA World title where Bobby won the BFG Series and they aired videos of Roode for weeks leading up to the event that really convinced you why he is ready to be champion and can actually look like an upcoming talent that can beat a world-class legend like Angle.

I'm not saying he should be the first World champion. That title belongs to Jericho as a lead-in for TNT but that doesn't mean you can't put out videos and interviews making him look like milion bucks. There is something there with Page, going by the reactions and presentation they have given him for DoN and Fyter Fest but more needs to be done. Hopefully, they start that trend here against Sabian.
They really do. Hangman is money and is a rare case of a babyface that still comes off like a badass. This guy needs to be pushed as a major player in this company. I can't wait for the TNT shows because no doubht this is when they will start putting more context on the wrestlers and letting us know who they are and why they're here.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'm going to say this about Page, though. They need to really establish his character and motive relatively soon before All Out in August. Why is he "Hangman"? Why should be invested in him as a title contender or someone who can beat a legend like Jericho? For the hardcore Elite fans, it may be redundant but for the casuals and new AEW fans they will look to grab, they need to convince us as to why Page is going to be a superstar for their promotion.

I don't doubt that they can't do it. The videos on Darby Allin, Private Party, and MJF prove to me they can get Adam Page across as someone fans will get behind but this harkens back to the Kurt Angle/Bobby Roode feud and match at BFG 2011 for the TNA World title where Bobby won the BFG Series and they aired videos of Roode for weeks leading up to the event that really convinced you why he is ready to be champion and can actually look like an upcoming talent that can beat a world-class legend like Angle.

I'm not saying he should be the first World champion. That title belongs to Jericho as a lead-in for TNT but that doesn't mean you can't put out videos and interviews making him look like milion bucks. There is something there with Page, going by the reactions and presentation they have given him for DoN and Fyter Fest but more needs to be done. Hopefully, they start that trend here against Sabian.
They really do. Hangman is money and is a rare case of a babyface that still comes off like a badass. This guy needs to be pushed as a major player in this company. I can't wait for the TNT shows because no doubht this is when they will start putting more context on the wrestlers and letting us know who they are and why they're here.
I dont know if you watched the wrestling inc podcast but matt Morgan said almost the same thing. Stone cold and Jr are also hot on him. Some people might not see it but he has a badass, ass kicker vibe to him. And his wrestling style is different, he is a babyface but isnt into the whole flips, his strikes looks and feel real. You should give his match vs pac a go. I was like holy shit that guy is an ass kicker, for me he still didnt got the opportunity to potray his good side. Jim ross is pretty high on him. That's an old, no bullshit classic ass kicker babyface. And with mjf....they are going to kill it man

I told you guys, fight for the fallen is the real shit. Hell even on the road to fyter fest they hyped fight for the fallen or was it fyter fest that was hyped on FFTF, anyway fyter fest was always minorncomoared to FFTF. Its going to be the TNT show preview and the bucks said it's a serious show. There are good hype here

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
When he lights both of the Bucks up with his punches. :banderas
This is why different characters are so important

If the bucks were super edgelords, then it would just be edgy this and edgy that

Here we have a serious hard fucker, telling two goofballs he is gonna murder them

And the juxtaposition is what makes it work

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,243 Posts
Dustin looking old as fuck telling the video game playing whippersnappers that play time is over and BADASS GRANDPA has his BELT OFF AND IS ABOUT TO ADMINISTER A WHUPPIN'

:mark:

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Dustin looking old as fuck telling the video game playing whippersnappers that play time is over and BADASS GRANDPA has his BELT OFF AND IS ABOUT TO ADMINISTER A WHUPPIN'

:mark:
Now I’m thinking that this might be why the Bucks have been acting particularly goofy lately, especially at Fyter Fest. Exaggerating the idea that it’s all fun and games to them, while the Rhodeseses are looking to give a serious ass-kicking. It would make for an interesting story for the match to tell. Or maybe I’m just thinking too much into it. Whatever, should be a very interesting match. The two Rhodeseses should more than make up for the psychology everybody insists the Bucks are lacking.

I’m with ya on the :mark:, though.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Now I’m thinking that this might be why the Bucks have been acting particularly goofy lately, especially at Fyter Fest. Exaggerating the idea that it’s all fun and games to them, while the Rhodeseses are looking to give a serious ass-kicking. It would make for an interesting story for the match to tell. Or maybe I’m just thinking too much into it. Whatever, should be a very interesting match. The two Rhodeseses should more than make up for the psychology everybody insists the Bucks are lacking.

Nope - you are thinking at the right level.

These guys are not dumb - they just play that on TV ;)

·
Registered
16,745 Posts
Yes on BTE the Young Bucks pretty much have been mocking like a degenerate tag team, The Rhodes brothers , and I think it's good it's a good heal move. This is the last show before All Out makes its presence.

Btw side Note: MJF Page Jericho Cody Dustin even Moxley and yes more ...are not flipper known and can bring in the mix of brawls and in ring psych so yes theres hope of good shit here!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

I’m with ya on the
, though.
you are not thinking too much.thats how the bucks do it, they have a very subtle story telling that almost makes it a shoot.
Sqme with omega, he is going for all the elite stuff and then Moxley will bring back the Cleaner character back out of him. If you listened at the end of the fyter fest PPV after the beat down Gym Ross put the emphasis on the fact that it night be moxley's intention to bring back the violent/aggressive omega ( which was his character when he was at his pick).
( however this one is a story they already told in japan, where kenny fuck around, badass motherfucker comes out--> beat the shit out of kenny--> kenny is forced to change his character to survive. But I guess they are doing it for the first time in the us audience to establish his character. Thats why you might have the feeling that his character isnt very clear. He is still building it here.
To give you a clue, watch back their tag match against the lucha bro and Laredo kid. Omega plays along with the bucks doing all the flashy stuffs and when they say its 10 minutes left, he stop doing any flips and become aggressive, beat the shit out of laredo kid , hit his finisher and pins him. And then he comes out in a brutal way to murder Moxley, but there are still little glimpse of the the "elite-kenny" where he plays around a bit.
It's a slow and methodical character work, at all out when the show ends, omega will be back to his cleaner/best bout machine character. It's interesting because when they do it that way it's absolutely real, for example, the people will take the Rhodes brother as the badass who dont play along and wilm be happy when they kick the young bucks ass. ( that's how you work the smark in 2019) you use their knowledge of the business and their tendency to over analyse and criticise and turn it against them and they dont even realise they ( we) are being worked. Lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

I hope you are right. This match intrigues me as someone who is a frequent critic of the Bucks. If they can have a sound match against these Rhodes Brothers it will go a long way in alleviating my fears about the direction of the company.

CIMA/Kenny will be spotty, but has potential to be good if CIMA can keep him serious. I really hope Omega is smart enough to not do his finger gun taunt on a show where the gate is going toward victims of gun violence.

Allie/Brandi could be really rough, but will hopefully not be too long.

There is a lot of speculation that this show will be more serious, which given the context of the cause behind the show I would certainly hope so. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one so far.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
you are not thinking too much.thats how the bucks do it, they have a very subtle story telling that almost makes it a shoot.
Sqme with omega, he is going for all the elite stuff and then Moxley will bring back the Cleaner character back out of him. If you listened at the end of the fyter fest PPV after the beat down Gym Ross put the emphasis on the fact that it night be moxley's intention to bring back the violent/aggressive omega ( which was his character when he was at his pick).
( however this one is a story they already told in japan, where kenny fuck around, badass motherfucker comes out--> beat the shit out of kenny--> kenny is forced to change his character to survive. But I guess they are doing it for the first time in the us audience to establish his character. Thats why you might have the feeling that his character isnt very clear. He is still building it here.
To give you a clue, watch back their tag match against the lucha bro and Laredo kid. Omega plays along with the bucks doing all the flashy stuffs and when they say its 10 minutes left, he stop doing any flips and become aggressive, beat the shit out of laredo kid , hit his finisher and pins him. And then he comes out in a brutal way to murder Moxley, but there are still little glimpse of the the "elite-kenny" where he plays around a bit.
It's a slow and methodical character work, at all out when the show ends, omega will be back to his cleaner/best bout machine character. It's interesting because when they do it that way it's absolutely real, for example, the people will take the Rhodes brother as the badass who dont play along and wilm be happy when they kick the young bucks ass. ( that's how you work the smark in 2019) you use their knowledge of the business and their tendency to over analyse and criticise and turn it against them and they dont even realise they ( we) are being worked. Lol
Wish i could like this more than once

This x 10000

81 - 100 of 1852 Posts