Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1852 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oh I actually never thought of the chairshot segment from a pure kayfabe analysis, in fact its true. Cody should have put his hands since he could basically see it.
The chair shot was a shit idea from cody, most times his idea are bright and I understand he is old school but he needs to tone it down. But I am confident after Khan's comment that the headshot wont be a thing again. ( unlike a lot the fact that they explained the chair was gimmicked dirnt bother me the least, I know game of throne and Avengers endgame were full of special effect and fake. I dont give a crap about this side of things. ).
That segment didnt really need the unprotected headshot, cody could have put his hands.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
The Brandi shit was just lame. Like boo fucking hoo you were a choker as an ice skater. Then it's like no you're not one of the models that adapted to really working. Trish is an example of that, hell she's not even Michelle McCool decent yet. It was filmed well and I get where they were going. But trying to get her sympathy just seems silly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Brandi shit was just lame. Like boo fucking hoo you were a choker as an ice skater. Then it's like no you're not one of the models that adapted to really working. Trish is an example of that, hell she's not even Michelle McCool decent yet. It was filmed well and I get where they were going. But trying to get her sympathy just seems silly.
I think you either hate Brandi too much or you're heartless

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
I think you either hate Brandi too much or you're heartless
I don't hate her it just a ridiculous way to sell her. She's the wife of one the EVPs and is the company's chief branding officer. I'm supposed to feel sympathy because she cried? Because she used to choke in ice skating matches? Either play her up as the heel who abuses her power. Or at least lie to me about how tragic her childhood was.

Hell even really dig into why she needed wrestling when she got in the business. But no her crying about ice skating isn't cutting it. I mean hell we had Darby talking about his drunk uncle picked him crashed and died, and not a tear was she'd. But Brandi thinking of her teenage ice skating chokes is supposed to be a tear jerker "you can do it girl" moment.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
I gotta agree with Rap. Brandi's story when you put some context into it (ice skating is a fairly high-middle to high class hobby too) doesn't come across appealing to me. Sure, failure due to some problems with your psyche is a feeling most have. But it's similar to if Stephanie McMahon told a sad story about not getting a summer job at NBC shadowing an executive. She's in a position most would acknowledge as privileged and perhaps even underqualified for considering the revenue AEW is likely to bring in over the next 12 months and the length of her resume.

She's a killer heel in making but I guess they don't want to promote them as a face-heel couple (her & Cody). Mixed vibes 'n all.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
We've got the first fight for the Buy-In:

Six Man Tag Team Match:
Darby Allin, Jimmy Havoc & Joey Janela
VS
Sammy Guevara, MJF & Shawn Spears.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
I gotta agree with Rap. Brandi's story when you put some context into it (ice skating is a fairly high-middle to high class hobby too) doesn't come across appealing to me. Sure, failure due to some problems with your psyche is a feeling most have. But it's similar to if Stephanie McMahon told a sad story about not getting a summer job at NBC shadowing an executive. She's in a position most would acknowledge as privileged and perhaps even underqualified for considering the revenue AEW is likely to bring in over the next 12 months and the length of her resume.

She's a killer heel in making but I guess they don't want to promote them as a face-heel couple (her & Cody). Mixed vibes 'n all.
It's pretty much the 1st world problems meme come to life, but played seriously. Hopefully though it's them knowing that story isn't exactly relatable babyface stuff and they're using it so she can swerve and have Kong or whoever help her like people are predicting. Because if there's no swerve that was a weird story to go with.

Six Man Tag Team Match:
VS
So what teammates implode first? MJF and Spears over Cody or Darby and Janella fight over who's going to one up who with the attention seeking

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

It's pretty much the 1st world problems meme come to life, but played seriously. Hopefully though it's them knowing that story isn't exactly relatable babyface stuff and they're using it so she can swerve and have Kong or whoever help her like people are predicting. Because if there's no swerve that was a weird story to go with.

Six Man Tag Team Match:
VS
So what teammates implode first? MJF and Spears over Cody or Darby and Janella fight over who's going to one up who with the attention seeking
Again, what tells us that we should all love her after that one? That's the point and I understand your point totally and it's TRUE to an extent. But lets see it from a down to earth perspective, what is pain? A subjective feeling related to the situation of a person.
In other words, for someone who have to fight the whole day to get something to eat, brandi here comes off as....a spoiled brat that complains when she had it easier than most people. That's why when the children of rich people cry about their 1st world problems some people hate them more.
On the other side, we gotta ask ourselves, just because our pain is greater, does that mean that the pain of the other people is less or sint on the same level? Again pain is a subjective experience, someone who has been living in the luxury experiences pain when he dosnt get the last I phone. Someone who lives in poverty would kill to even have a phone to begin with and struggle all the time. Does that mean that the struggle of the rich person is a "fake pain"? Doenst she still feels pain for her failure? (And also being a heel doesnt really change the narrative because heels can be portrayed as human being with insecurities and all. Because in real life bad guys arent cartoonish character who feel nothing and laugh in hahahaha mode lol)
Now here is my point I think the brandi promo, is made to fit BOTH those narrative. The people who feel for her are right, and the people who like you think she comes off as childish and a cry baby are also right because others people experience worse. No one is wrong here and arguing it wont change because it's a situation that happens also in real life. For some it will kinda diminish her heel side and give more depth at least for her actions. But for others this will make her even more despicable.

I fundamentally think that's how wrestling should be written, close to the real life, with a complexity and several level to read a story.
Wrestling isnt dumb and charicatural it's as much of a medium to potray complexity and conflict as any other. Dont forget those guys come from njpw, where they tell stories with a nonsensical amount of details and attentions, over years, and with several degree of reading. I would give malone finger and say they know very wrll some people wont react well to it, and they will work them.
That was my take, sorry for the long paragraph lol

·
Banned
5,274 Posts
So this is an out and out MJF face turn now, no? Interesting if so. Maybe they've noticed the amount of fans really enjoying him and are taking the opportunity to develop a few more layers to his character while the eyes are on him, before his heel schtick gets a bit old. :hmm:

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,372 Posts
So this is an out and out MJF face turn now, no? Interesting if so. Maybe they've noticed the amount of fans really enjoying him and are taking the opportunity to develop a few more layers to his character while the eyes are on him, before his heel schtick gets a bit old. :hmm:
I highly doubt it. They may be adding layers but I am pretty sure he is still a heel.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Honestly I'm convinced some of you guys ruin wrestling for yourselves. You can't emotionally invest in Brandi even though she told a heartfelt story about never being able to show up when it mattered. Giving up on her dream because she didn't went to continuously fail her friends and family. How does her being privileged take away from that? Privileged people go through hardships too. You guys will really dig that deep to ruin something, come on.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
They're clearly doing the slow build to the eventual MJF/Cody feud by having MJF be "Cody's friend" looking out for him. Once he wins the World title or chases it, he'll betray Cody and become the top heel of the company. For now, he has to play the game and be outraged Spears beat him to the punch before he did. Thus, here we are.

I really don't see how people can't see how long term storytelling is being played effectively here.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Do you know which Selena MJF is referring to in this tweet? Selina de la Renta? I don’t know the context of this lol.
Implied to be Selena Quintanilla-Pérez

Just like he said earlier last month that Prince was overrated

Such a douche :)

Oh I actually never thought of the chairshot segment from a pure kayfabe analysis, in fact its true. Cody should have put his hands since he could basically see it.
The chair shot was a shit idea from cody, most times his idea are bright and I understand he is old school but he needs to tone it down. But I am confident after Khan's comment that the headshot wont be a thing again. ( unlike a lot the fact that they explained the chair was gimmicked dirnt bother me the least, I know game of throne and Avengers endgame were full of special effect and fake. I dont give a crap about this side of things. ).
That segment didnt really need the unprotected headshot, cody could have put his hands.
I always thought in his head it was ‘my friend is out here’

Which means, even if he saw him, he would not be expecting the chairshot

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
So this is an out and out MJF face turn now, no? Interesting if so. Maybe they've noticed the amount of fans really enjoying him and are taking the opportunity to develop a few more layers to his character while the eyes are on him, before his heel schtick gets a bit old.
Nah, just building up his eventual turn on his "mentor" Cody. I'll be interested to see if they can pull off the story without making Cody look like a WWE style idiot gullible babyface like Nikki Cross.

181 - 200 of 1852 Posts