Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28,561 Posts
"Hey, we're going to use your copyright protected footage to highlight and mock your product mistakes without any permission" is a helluva business model.

Roasts can be funny, but if they get too malicious in their attacks - fuck'em.
This is a fairly ridiculous take that's borderline on the "hey you can only talk about us if it's positive" slope.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Depends on the situation. This "fair use" isn't to educate or inform, it's to entertain and then monetize that.

Reaction vids and the like get away with their stuff mostly because they're fans and promoting old products in a way.
You can do comedy as fair use but you can't get monetary off it. If they are getting money then you may be right. Plus i noticed they are using pay per view clips which i dont think had been posted by AEW, so that may be a strike. Not sure.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
This is a fairly ridiculous take that's borderline on the "hey you can only talk about us if it's positive" slope.
You can talk negative all you want. But you're not using my owned footage to do it.

One guy is whining he's "out of a job" now because he lost his live stream channel.

·
Registered
28,561 Posts
You can talk negative all you want. But you're not using my owned footage to do it.

One guy is whining he's "out of a job" now because he lost his live stream channel.
Except that owned footage can be used for criticism. There's guidelines of course. But yeah this is the type of stuff that shouldn't be applauded for companies to do.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
19,473 Posts

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Except that owned footage can be used for criticism. There's guidelines of course. But yeah this is the type of stuff that shouldn't be applauded for companies to do.
I suspect using footage to mock for entertainment and profit isn't part of these "guidelines". It's protection more for scholarly critiques and the like. If Botchemania monetizes it's SM platforms than all bets are off there with the fair use carve outs.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,756 Posts
I suspect using footage to mock for entertainment and profit isn't part of these "guidelines". It's protection more for scholarly critiques and the like. If Botchemania monetizes it's SM platforms than all bets are off there with the fair use carve outs.
Of course you can use fair use to mock. If not, then who decides where that line is drawn between "fair" critique and just "too far?" Fair use has a long, protected legal history. Way before social media existed, Mystery Science Theater 3000 had their Oscar specials where they tore into new moves using clips that were short enough to be under fair use. Those aired on cable with commercials.. That still applies today.

Besides if it was illegal to make fun of stuff and get paid for it we never would have gotten great moments in TV history like this:

·
Registered
28,561 Posts
Legally why would that be a thing, especially in the US. Now it being completely banned would be one thing. But saying hey if you suck it's dick instead of mock it, that's cool. Doesn't sound reasonable law wise

·
Registered
117 Posts
This was expected from me, they got away with it for so many years but you can’t just go around using copyrighted footage without consent.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
am i the only one who doesn't give a shit if AEW killed Botchamania ?
if you want to make money out of a certain product without taking a permission first
then go fuck yourself your channel deserve to be killed

i don't think fair use apply to Botchamania situation
Botchamania don't provide criticism on a product
they make entertainment videos using products from other companies

if Botchamania wants to make a deal with AEW and split the earnings, then maybe we can talk

21 - 40 of 69 Posts