Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So DesoRow, Pezley, CamillePunk, Heel, and I were talking last night about certain problems occuring with certain talent, especially on Smackdown. I think it was DesoRow who said that Smackdown feels like it should be ADR's home and I agree. Smackdown right now doesn't have a strong heel that can carry the brand with a strong face (which is suppose to be Sheamus, which I will get to in a minute).

Now, the brand extension doesn't mean squat anymore except to Vince but just by going with WWE's line of thinking, I'll play along. Wrestlemania 28 did a ton of damage to Sheamus. Why? Well, one, because Sheamus was directionless and booked way strong (almost Cena like) from his Rumble win to that event and two, the fans were screwes out of a potential match and it smelled of (to them, anyways) of political hyjinx at the expense of Daniel Bryan).

Now, in retrospect, it did wonders for Daniel Bryan and made him one of the fastest rising stars in the WWE today but it has made Sheamus the Irish Cena of Smackdown. I like Sheamus and I think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate at times but there is no denying that the Wrestlemania fiasco did a lot of damage to him, especially after winning the World Heavyweight Championship at the grandest stage of them all. Sheamus's character instantly changed from a badass, kickass Irish brawler to a smiling, grinning, short tempered babyface champion. His reactions were huge pre-Rumble and they still were in instances during the Road to Wrestlemania but now they seem to have cooled off, as evident to me on this Monday's RAW. Hell, Orton (the guy who is number four behind him, Punk, and Cena in the WWE) is gaining bigger pops every week and has adjusted his movesets to appeal to the reaction of the crowd.

Now, I think that in order for Sheamus to be the TOP FACE of Smackdown (again, going with WWE's thinking), he needs an equally strong TOP HEEL to compliment him. Enter Alberto Del Rio.

Del Rio is another person who gets unwarranted hate around the forums. He is one of the top five best workers in the WWE overall and his promos (when they aren't redundant and have a strong direction/message) are not as bad as people make them out to be. However, his overness is barely there and that can't be denied. I think 2011 screwed Del Rio royally in terms of how to be a strong heel. From winning the Rumble to losing to Edge for the WHC at Mania to moving to RAW and feuding with a heatless Big Show to winning MITB to cashing it in to win the WWE title to losing it three weeks later to Cena to win it back two weeks later to lose it again a month later to getting injured. A very bad year for Del Rio if you really think about it.

So they have a match at No Way Out for the World Heavyweight Championship. Here is how I would do it.

-Let Sheamus beat Del Rio at No Way Out to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
-Install a rematch at Money In The Bank between the two.
-Leading up to the match, have Alberto use his wealth to pay off referees, officials, staff etc. You need to establish his character as someone who has wealth to do, techincally, anything they want.
-Hire some goons/protection in Hunico, Camacho, a rumored Averno as well to take out and keep Sheamus down
-Money In The Bank comes and ADR wins the title due to shenanigans, thus making Sheamus chase the title leading up to Summerslam
-Have Cara inserted into the mix and a returning Mysterio as well to thwart off Averno, Hunico, and Camacho as ADR and Sheamus have their final feud
-At Summerslam, you get Sheamus vs. ADR with Falls Count Anywhere, No DQ. Mysterio and Cara, who beat Hunico and Averno earlier in the show, thwart them off again to make Alberto fight it alone. Orton returns and looks to attack ADR but does Sheamus instead, completing his heel turn. ADR wins to retain the WHC.

So, that way Sheamus is the ultimate top face of his brand having to face through two strong heels in ADR and a newly turned Orton and ADR becomes the top heel of the brand as he keeps the title, gains overness, and also can branch off other feuds with Mysterio and Cara wile also giving reasonable pushes to Hunico and Camacho.

Just my opinion but yours?

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Well yes. Behind every great man is a woman, and behind every great face is a heel. That's important to remember, and on the surface it seems like WWE remembered this, giving Del Rio arguably the strongest heel booking since an Orton or HHH. Comparing that to the usual heel treatment as of late (see: Miz, OTL) that's a good thing IMO. But Del Rio's so called monster push was actually terribly executed. Losing at Wrestlemania was his first fall, but that could have been recovered from if it wasn't for his treatment from then on. He was thrown into some heinous feud-thing with Big Show on RAW that was terrible and not worth it for any of them, then there was the manner of his winning the title (not before being Punked out by Punk, pun intended, at MitB) and the way he lost the title, both times. Guy's been world champion twice, and both times he has tapped out clean to lose it. One of them was in the space of three weeks.

So yeah, it's easy to say that Del Rio's been handed everything, and it might be true. Del Rio's been handed everything but good booking, and it's funny because that was all he ever needed in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
Yeah, I made a similar thread about ADR about a month or so ago. Basically, in order to get over as a heel and give people a reason to boo him, ADR needs to use his wealth to his advantage. As you said, he should pay off refs and other members of the staff to do his dirty work for him. Hell, he could even pay off Big Johnny and run Smackdown for a night, putting Sheamus in ridiculous handicap and gauntlet matches, which would help give Sheamus kind of an underdog role, and allow him to regain the momentum he had before Wrestlemania.

Besides that, I like your storyline between ADR/Sheamus and how it puts both guys over, as well as the pushes to Sin Cara/Mysterio and Hunico/Camacho. I also think the Orton heel turn is good too, as it puts Sheamus and Orton in a non-title feud between main eventers(Don't see those too often anymore.) and ADR goes off to face different challengers for his belt. If I had to pick, I'd choose CM Punk and they have a unification match at Night of Champions.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
-Let Sheamus beat Del Rio at No Way Out to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
-Leading up to the match, have Alberto use his wealth to pay off referees, officials, staff etc. You need to establish his character as someone who has wealth to do, techincally, anything they want.
-Hire some goons/protection in Hunico, Camacho, a rumored Averno as well to take out and keep Sheamus down
-Money In The Bank comes and ADR wins the title due to shenanigans, thus making Sheamus chase the title leading up to Summerslam
-Have Cara inserted into the mix and a returning Mysterio as well to thwart off Averno, Hunico, and Camacho as ADR and Sheamus have their final feud
-At Summerslam, you get Sheamus vs. ADR with Falls Count Anywhere, No DQ. Mysterio and Cara, who beat Hunico and Averno earlier in the show, thwart them off again to make Alberto fight it alone. Orton returns and looks to attack ADR but does Sheamus instead, completing his heel turn. ADR wins to retain the WHC.
I like all of this except the paying off officials and turning Orton heel. If you want to establish Del Rio's wealth and power, then using Hunico, Camacho and Averno is a good enough way of making that happen.

There's a lot of potential in a Sheamus/Orton face/face showdown and I think WWE sees/saw that and want that at one point. Plus I simply don't think WWE would book Orton properly as a heel but that's just my opinion.

ADR is the type of heel who seems most effective when he's IN control as opposed to chasing (that's true of most heels tbh) so I definitely think Sheamus chasing him works well for both guys. Problem is WWE doesn't really like faces chasing titles.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
As for your scenario:
Who would ADR feud then, as WHC? Would he retain in a possible 3 way feud?
Or would someone else step up?

Barret is a good choice, no? But he most definitely going to be heel...

---
As for ADR in general, yeah, in all of that overpushing, in the end, he was booked poorly.
He needs to be given legit promo time (like, well, 80% of the roster). As for changes, he can stick to his gimmick, but he needs to either to something extremely arrogant/borderline outrageous or simply become more aggressive.

Hiring goons? Well, that can work either way.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He would feud with Mysterio and Cara as he retains his title in both feuds and can also be a setup for Cara/Mysterio at Mania. Cara should be a good lower level main event wrestler by now and you can start it with ADR.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
^^
Seems legit.

I am open to seeing, in your scenario, Ted/Miz/Ziggler/McIntyre (as over faces) feuding with ADR (as a over heel), though I guess that that is too far-fetched.

·
Stealing the Show
7,428 Posts
Here is how I would do it.

This is fucking BRILLIANT. Why can't creative be this...well...creative?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
His wealth has to become a major factor at some point, it's just too good to pass up on, severely underused.

Outside of this, regardless if he is using other people to do his dirty work he HAS to get more aggressive.

Then his booking obviously has to refect that and vice-versa. The guy isn't small, so i don't know why he acts it.

He can really go in the ring and should not be tapping out to lose titles. I honestly believe he needs an overhaul.

I'm not sure how to take him seriously when he comes out with a comedy ring-announcer, who happens to be more over.

Driving flash cars to the ring, that's supposed to mean anything to me? Thankfully he's stopped the 'Destiny' thing.

But what's next for ADR? I like the ideas here. It just feels like they need to go all-out with him, not half-way.

Let him show why he is pushed to be in this spot, make him prove that he belongs as a top heel, give him the tools.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^
Seems legit.

I am open to seeing, in your scenario, Ted/Miz/Ziggler/McIntyre (as over faces) feuding with ADR (as a over heel), though I guess that that is too far-fetched.
Glad you asked. We had some scenarios with Tyson Kidd, Drew McIntrye, and Damien Sandow in what they could do in WWE.

·
Ho!
17,749 Posts
Meh, ADR is one of the last people I want to see taking the title off Sheamus. He's a good in ring worker but his mic work/promos are horrible, and his character being misused makes things even worse.

I like the idea though in the OP. I suppose though the only other people who maybe could pull off being the heel for Sheamus would be Orton (if they went the turning him heel route... but he's suspended), Jericho (suspended), Sandow (not on the roster long enough yet), Wade Barrett (would be perfect... but he's injured), and Danuel Bryan (who was currently promoted from the World Title scene to the WWE Title scene). I guess ADR has to be that heel by default. I do like the ideas for ADR in the opening post, and maybe if played correctly he could get me to care about the feud, but honestly I'm not hoping for any miracles by WWE.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I've written before that if Del Rio is going to be viewed as the top heel of Smackdown then he has to take the WHC away from Sheamus, even if it's just for a month. If Del Rio loses clean to Sheamus and doesn't get some sort of upper hand that he can reference in future promos then his push to Smackdown would have been completely wasted due to poor booking.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
A mexican stable seems so easily done and such a smart move. I haven't thought of it before and can't believe WWE hasn't done it already.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wish the OP was a writer for WWE creative. That is a great idea to help improve ADR,Camancho,Huncio and Sin Cara. I would mark to see Mysterio and Sin Cara teaming up. If Mysterio and Sin Cara do a good job as a tag team it could help to set up a fued between the two at Wrestlemania.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
No, Sheamus needs to garner support. He needs the fanfare. He should be the center of everything as the world champion.

A heel can only do so much especially in a period where kayfabe hardly exists. Heels are the most unproductive instruments of pro wrestling. They do nothing for progression and are there as only obstacles.

You look at CM Punk; did he need a heel? He had Cena, he had Vince McMahon, Lauranitis, but it was CM Punk's Story in the end. His fan Support is strong and I feel he can keep his momentum up for years. As long as wwe continue to feed him good foils in his story.

You want stronger storylines? Stronger interest? Stronger emotion? A Mega Star? It all lies in the protagonist. Its not Sheamus' fault. Hardly. But he is the most artificiality pushed wrestler right now. His "Brogue Brogue brohah!!1" is evident of that.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Hell yeah. ADR needs to be WHC or #1 Contender for the WHC on SD for as long as he is an active wrestler. ADR is a total package and belongs in the ME. Him feuding with Sheamus should also bring out good matches.

·
KO
5,501 Posts
He just lacks something... I don't know what that is, or why, but I just don't care. Neither does the crowd. Booking was not the problem - up until his downfall, he was the fucking GOD-HEEL, like HHH used to be, and he still, to this day can't get a reaction, and never could for more than two weeks. It's just sad.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Have you not been listening lately, he's been getting pretty good reactions. The ADR not being over crap is greatly exaggerated on here.
Exactly. I've been saying this for months. Some IWC members saying ADR 'not getting a reaction' is based on nothing and is just mentioned to try and look cool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts