Wrestling Forum banner

ADR - Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

3210 Views 53 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  TheLuchador129
Before I start here, I have to say I am a fan of Del Rio. He has good mic work (slightly repetitive at times but he makes it work) and is solid in the ring. I am scratching my head as to why he's main-eventing Wrestlemania. Sure, the guys done some good work since arriving, carried off a feud with Rey well, but has he really done enough to earn a title shot in the biggest match of the year. The guy has competed in one Championship match since arriving, and that was a last minute add to the TLC match. The vast majority of his matches have been against mid-card competitors since arriving with the exception of Mysterio and I'm not really sure if he's done enough to get such a massive push to the biggest match of the year!

The guy is a stick-on champion for the future (who knows - he probably will win it at Mania) but I really think he needs more build-up to take on such an important match. Hell, the guys only fought Santino since the Rumble! Why not give him a 10/12 min match against a Cena? Try to build him up to look like a stronger main event candidate instead of giving him skits with the likes of Hornswoggle?

I expect a lot of people won't agree with my points due to the large number of Del Rio fans but the point is I'm not doubting his talent, I just don't feel he's done enough to justify a spot at main-event 'Mania. For those who disagree, what has he done to earn himself the spot? And for any who do agree, what would you do to build him up to look like a more credible contender?
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Premium Member
24,105 Posts
what the fuck did Sid Vicious ever do in the WWF before he main evented with Hogan at WrestleMania? Who the fuck was Yokozuna in the WWF before winning the Royal Rumble?

When did random fans on the internets decide who the fuck is deserving of a push? What makes you the authority on whether a guy that's been wrestling for a decade should be headlining wrestlemania? I think Vince McMahon knows what he's doing by now a little more than you bro. He's getting the push because he can actually wrestle and he can cut a good promo.

· Registered
4,017 Posts
what the fuck did Sid Vicious ever do in the WWF before he main evented with Hogan at WrestleMania? Who the fuck was Yokozuna in the WWF before winning the Royal Rumble?

When did random fans on the internets decide who the fuck is deserving of a push? What makes you the authority on whether a guy that's been wrestling for a decade should be headlining wrestlemania? I think Vince McMahon knows what he's doing by now a little more than you bro. He's getting the push because he can actually wrestle and he can cut a good promo.
this this fucking this!

repped for telling the ultimate truth

· Registered
980 Posts

So much whining. Difference is Sid and Yoko were monster heels, it's not out of the norm for them to get quick pushes. As for ADR the only crowd reaction he receives is the noise WWE edits in for SmackDown.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you, I or anyone else on here thinks, but if that is the only reply then what is the point in discussing anything on this forum? Vince makes all the decisions, but I (as a paying customer for when it comes to Wrestlemania) am simply making an enquiry as to what did ADR do to deserve such a big push? On the Raw forums people constantly question why Lawler is becoming more relevant, why Miz is probably going to be in main event Wrestlemania, whats the point in having such discussion if the only response is that "Vince knows best"? The whole point of topics like this is to put my point across, not that it's going to change anything but to perhaps provoke discussion. I wouldn't once suggest that I know anything compared to Vince, but as a paying customer and fan of the product who likes to discuss it, I feel I'm free to start a topic to discuss the decision!

· Premium Member
24,105 Posts
So much whining. Difference is Sid and Yoko were monster heels, it's not out of the norm for them to get quick pushes. As for ADR the only crowd reaction he receives is the noise WWE edits in for SmackDown.
While I'm not usually one to feed a troll, prove it bro. I'm sure he could never be over like your favorite rasslers that get those epic reactions from the 900 people in the Impact Zone, but please prove the reactions are edited in. Oh wait nevermind to bother because I saw the reaction he got on Raw the night after he won the Rumble first hand and the reaction he has gotten live on PPV. I know it's easy to have selective hearing when you don't want someone to be over, but lying will get you no where. Try getting some legit criticisms and then we'll talk bro.

By the way Sid wasn't much of a monster heel he came in as a babyface for like 6 months and turned heel like 2 weeks before WrestleMania. They put him in the main event because he was over. Much like ADR.

· Registered
418 Posts
When did fans lose their right to decide whether they accept a wrestler or not? Just because Mable and Giant Gonzalez get a push doesn´t mean I have to accept them.

The OP was asking a simple, honest question. How about some arguments?

· Registered
980 Posts
While I'm not usually one to feed a troll, prove it bro. I'm sure he could never be over like your favorite rasslers that get those epic reactions from the 900 people in the Impact Zone, but please prove the reactions are edited in. Oh wait nevermind to bother because I saw the reaction he got on Raw the night after he won the Rumble first hand and the reaction he has gotten live on PPV. I know it's easy to have selective hearing when you don't want someone to be over, but lying will get you no where. Try getting some legit criticisms and then we'll talk bro.

By the way Sid wasn't much of a monster heel he came in as a babyface for like 6 months and turned heel like 2 weeks before WrestleMania. They put him in the main event because he was over. Much like ADR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOItLzCW0Tw#t=5m37s

Speaks for itself.

· Premium Member
24,105 Posts
When did fans lose their right to decide whether they accept a wrestler or not? Just because Mable and Giant Gonzalez get a push doesn´t mean I have to accept them.

The OP was asking a simple, honest question. How about some arguments?
But he said he accepts Alberto Del Rio. He just doesn't think he's ready to main event WrestleMania. Here's the thing though Alberto Del Rio has been wrestling for a decade so how the hell is some dude that has never wrestled a match in his life on a wrestling forum really going to determine if he is ready or not? I think Vinnie Mac knows if someone is ready to main event a WrestleMania. It's his bread and butter, he's been doing it for nearly 30 years. He's not just gonna have some average joe there.

Oh please that crowd was dead all night besides when R-Truth called it Green Bay and John Cena came out.

As for the OP, no, you´re not the only one. The mexican demographic is pretty strong in the WWE fanbase, I think that´s the only reason why he gets such a push.
lol yeah he's only getting pushed because he's Mexican. Not that he has any talent or anything. :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,238 Posts
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you, I or anyone else on here thinks, but if that is the only reply then what is the point in discussing anything on this forum? Vince makes all the decisions, but I (as a paying customer for when it comes to Wrestlemania) am simply making an enquiry as to what did ADR do to deserve such a big push? On the Raw forums people constantly question why Lawler is becoming more relevant, why Miz is probably going to be in main event Wrestlemania, whats the point in having such discussion if the only response is that "Vince knows best"? The whole point of topics like this is to put my point across, not that it's going to change anything but to perhaps provoke discussion. I wouldn't once suggest that I know anything compared to Vince, but as a paying customer and fan of the product who likes to discuss it, I feel I'm free to start a topic to discuss the decision!
You are absolutely right. It is a discussion forum. If everybody had the same opinion it would be pretty goddamn boring. I don't know why people feel the need to be so hostile on here.

· Registered
2,804 Posts

their size had everything to do with it. im not a del rio fan, and i dont get why people think he is so great. however, that doesnt give me the right or anyone else for that matter, to say whether someone deserves to get a push or not.

i wonder how many people, when the undertaker came in, thought he didnt deserve a push?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But he said he accepts Alberto Del Rio. He just doesn't think he's ready to main event WrestleMania. Here's the thing though Alberto Del Rio has been wrestling for a decade so how the hell is some dude that has never wrestled a match in his life on a wrestling forum really going to determine if he is ready or not? I think Vinnie Mac knows if someone is ready to main event a WrestleMania. It's his bread and butter, he's been doing it for nearly 30 years. He's not just gonna have some average joe there.
As solely a WWE fan, I've watched the guy wrestle for what? About 6 months now? He's impressed me, sure, but how does the guys wrestling background contribute to the WWE fans taking him seriously as Mania main-eventer if they haven't seen his past career? Last year at Wrestlemania the two titles were competed for between Batista, Cena, Edge and Jericho - without doubt 4 of the most well-known names in WWE in the last decade who have all had title reigns and had truly proven on a WWE stage what they can do. That is what the titles at Mania are about for me, the feuds with the cornerstones of the company colliding for the biggest prize available in the business. For me, ADR doesn't fit that criteria and I'm finding it difficult to take him seriously as part of the main-event Wrestlemania, not doubting the guys talent just from a personal point of view he could have done with a bit more of a build-up to being a true main event figure before being given such a major role in the biggest show of the year.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,499 Posts
No, the OP isn't the only one because I don't think he should be getting this big of a push right now.

Sure he's good on the mic, he has a lot of charisma, he's nothing special in ring but he isn't bad, he's beaten a load of mid-cardeers, been in a multi-man world title match, isn't over enough for his given position and is apparently ready to get a world title match with Edge at Mania. That doesn't seem like a main event title match to me.

Del Rio should have been built a heck of a lot more than he has done, he'g gotten a good push to the moon but the fans haven't even had chance to care about the guy. The Royal Rumble for me, somehow doesn't seem as special anymore due to him winning...and I actually like him! I'm not interested in a title match with Edge at Mania in the slightest, I doubt it will main event but still. He should have been built as a main event threat for a couple more months.

· Registered
418 Posts
And the numbers are continually rising?
You make it sound as if the OP was applying for a job here.

Last time I checked, things like pop culture and Zeitgeist change all the time. McMahon, on the other hand, isn´t 30 anymore, and people at his age tend to be a bit stubborn in their views. Not saying that´s a bad thing, or that he doesn´t know what he´s doing, but that´s just how it goes in life.

Btw, I don´t think McMahon is the only one who decides about pushes. There are probably several people who discuss these things.

lol yeah he's only getting pushed because he's Mexican. Not that he has any talent or anything. :rolleyes:
He is talented, but not that talented. How many guys his size got such a push without even one PPV singles match?

· Premium Member
24,105 Posts
It doesn't matter how long he's been in the WWE. You think Yokozuna and Sid just main evented because they were monster heels? No, if that was the case then the Great Khali would have main evented WrestleMania. The WWE knows the guy has been wrestling for a decade, they know he can have a good match, and they know he can cut a good promo. Therefore he is trusted to carry a world title feud at WrestleMania. It's that simple. Why shouldhe wrestle another year in the WWE? He's ready now. I doubt he's going to get any better in another year, he's been doing this for 10 already. Sure he's new to the WWE, but when he headlines WrestleMania and most likely wins the World Heavyweight Championship it will just mean that much more.

Why should he be punished because he's only been there for 6 months? Who else from SmackDown is going to do it? Barrett? He's greener than ADR and only been around for like 2 months longer so I'm not sure how that would make any sense under this logic. Christian is injured and he would never main event a WrestleMania anyway. Taker vs. Edge again? I don't think so. Kane vs. Edge? Yeah that hasn't been done to death. Big Show vs. Edge? Please spare me. Rey vs. Edge? I doubt it. Jack Swagger? He's a comedy character. Dolph Ziggler? Come on the guy can't even cut a promo without Vickie Guerrero.

· Registered
418 Posts
It doesn't matter how long he's been in the WWE. You think Yokozuna and Sid just main evented because they were monster heels? No, if that was the case then the Great Khali would have main evented WrestleMania. The WWE knows the guy has been wrestling for a decade, they know he can have a good match, and they know he can cut a good promo. Therefore he is trusted to carry a world title feud at WrestleMania. It's that simple. Why shouldhe wrestle another year in the WWE? He's ready now. I doubt he's going to get any better in another year, he's been doing this for 10 already. Sure he's new to the WWE, but when he headlines WrestleMania and most likely wins the World Heavyweight Championship it will just mean that much more.
Yes, it was a combination of size and experience.

We have a different opinion, and I´m not in the mood to discuss this, but that´s what happens on a forum, too. Let´s just agree to disagree. However, maybe you should read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Why should he be punished because he's only been there for 6 months? Who else from SmackDown is going to do it? Barrett? He's greener than ADR and only been around for like 2 months longer so I'm not sure how that would make any sense under this logic. Christian is injured and he would never main event a WrestleMania anyway. Taker vs. Edge again? I don't think so. Kane vs. Edge? Yeah that hasn't been done to death. Big Show vs. Edge? Please spare me. Rey vs. Edge? I doubt it. Jack Swagger? He's a comedy character. Dolph Ziggler? Come on the guy can't even cut a promo without Vickie Guerrero.
Who said he should get punished? What I said was that I don´t want to see him where he is right now, and I have every right in the world to say that.

And yes, I´d rather see John Morrison, Kofi Kingston or Dolph Ziggler against Edge than ADR.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.