Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I personally would like to see some people not end up in WWE, just to prove that it is possible to be happy and successful in the wrestling biz without WWE.
This is a common attitude among wrestling fans, but I wonder why it is the case?

Nobody says "I hope a superstar turns down the NFL just to prove you don't need it".

Or "I hope my favourite actor never gets scripted for a big Hollywood movie, just to prove you can be happy without Hollywood".

I find it interesting how the wrestling industry has this kind of rebellion culture.

·
Midcard Minivan
6,677 Posts
3x ROH champ yet nowhere near the impact guys like Bryan/Punk/Joe/Nigel/Steen made. So underwhelming.
They had to give him the 3rd one to try and establish him as their golden boy since everybody else is leaving that hell hole :lol I agree, though, usually outside of tag matches he tends to be underwhelming. Usually pretty good on the mic, though, but still not the best in ROH.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
This is a common attitude among wrestling fans, but I wonder why it is the case?

Nobody says "I hope a superstar turns down the NFL just to prove you don't need it".

Or "I hope my favourite actor never gets scripted for a big Hollywood movie, just to prove you can be happy without Hollywood".

I find it interesting how the wrestling industry has this kind of rebellion culture.
Whats hard to understand? The best times in WWE history have come when there was serious competition.

WWE hoovering up talent and doing nothing with them while killing off other promotions is terrible for all wrestling fans.

I can understand a WWE employee in their front office being ecstatic about that situation because they are getting paid off of that success.

But for a fan to actually be against WWE getting any competition, and happy to see their rivals fail, well that person is legitimately retarded (not talking about you, since I havent seen you say that).

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,919 Posts

If the NFL was as shit to football as WWE is to wrestling (which it does seem to be becoming), and there were as many alternative leagues as there are wrestling promotions, you would see that same attitude in football fans.

On that subject, I'm in my second season of no NFL. And I don't miss it one bit. Besides the fucking joke of a shit show Goodell has turned the league into, I hate watching their games on tv more than I hate watching WWE. And looking at the NFL's tv ratings this year, I'd guess I'm not alone. It could happen to them, too.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Seems the right answer for anyone to give. If you say "yes" people will say you are not faithful to your current company even thought the answer might be followed with a "one day if they want me". I mean WWE is THE name in pro wrestling these days. If they say "no" people will say they are lying and/or stupid. And even if they really mean no, things could change and one day they do sign and people will then say that proves they were lying all along.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts

In regards to NFL no one says it now because there is no competition. When there was the USFL or even further back when the AFL came along there were some people that felt that way. And some people do want actors or directors to go outside the normal Hollywood channels.

For some of us older folks we remember when there was numerous feds until WWF gobbled them up. There is still some resentment there. In a way the WWE is not the NFL but just one team in the NFL. Football players can decide to not sign with the top teams and go help a lower tier team get better. Same thing with wrestlers and different companies.

·
Daddy's Home
2,929 Posts
He's really the perfect guy to build NXT around for a couple of years, much like they did with Balor. Unlike Balor though, Cole is only 27 and has plenty of time for a main roster run, even if he spends a good deal of time in NXT. NXT will also be a good spot for him to establish himself as an upper-card guy IMO. I think that his build could limit his spot in the card to some people but a quality title run in NXT could hopefully change that.

The guy is so fucking good though. Decent in the ring and great on the mic. Plays the cocky asshole so beautifully. Such a smooth speaker and should kill it on the mic, scripted or not - especially if he's in a heel role. Can't wait to see his NXT debut, whenever it happens. Should be one of the mark-out moments of 2017 assuming he signs after this current contract ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe Japan will keep Omega and Cole. I just think that Omega wants a little more money, which he is entitled to and knows deep down that WWE may not know what to do with him. I hate to say, but I can't see Kenny Omega being a huge star in WWE. Do you actually think they would even consider putting him over someone like Reigns, Cena or even Rollins? Plus doesn't he have bad blood with some execs in prominent postions? They could be sabotaging him as soon as he gets there.

Adam Cole should be in WWE already, but with as stacked of a roster that they have, I would lowball him and have him go to Japan instead and make a bigger name for himself, then sign him... NJPW and puroseu in general is just a different product than american wrestling, much like lucha libre and WWE should have no concerns of them becoming a legitimate threat and should allow them to expand and make as much money as they can in the U.S because they will always be a niche product in most markets outside of Asia. ROH is another story. WWE is right to look at them as a direct threat and given the opportunity could become viable competition in the years to come.

As far as Adam Cole... he could benefit from more experience and feuds in Japan and so could WWE from having him grow as a performer so why not? With the roster as stacked as it is right now: Aries, Hero, Nakamura, KENTA, Joe, Roode La Sombra, The Revival and DIY who are all top level performers still at developmental, they can afford to let Cole go and sign him in the future. No one individual can change a company's fortunes.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
In regards to NFL no one says it now because there is no competition. When there was the USFL or even further back when the AFL came along there were some people that felt that way. And some people do want actors or directors to go outside the normal Hollywood channels.

For some of us older folks we remember when there was numerous feds until WWF gobbled them up. There is still some resentment there. In a way the WWE is not the NFL but just one team in the NFL. Football players can decide to not sign with the top teams and go help a lower tier team get better. Same thing with wrestlers and different companies.
I think you're right about that resentment being the major factor driving these type of opinions.

The Hollywood example was meant as in "I hope my favourite actor never appears in a mainstream film", which is quite different to occasionally going outside the normal Hollywood channels. That analogy is more like a WWE Superstar occasionally making a one-off appearing at an indy event for a creative outlet and the respect of critics. I was saying, imagine if Tom Hanks decided to only ever appear in indy films. Would he be happier with his life compared to what it is now? (It's not a simple question, but one can assume)

Imagine if Cam Newton decided to play AFL for half a million dollars a year.

Your main argument seems to stem from a historical perspective. The WWE used to be one of many territories 50 years ago, so it's akin to a team within the NFL. 50 years ago your analogy would hold up, but today, they really are the NFL. And since the gap between WWE and NJPW is greater than the gap between one NFL team and another, it's like saying Cam Newton could decide to go play for the St Kilda Saints in Australia and help them out, just as an indy wrestler could decide to stay put and turn down a shot at playing in the Superbowl and the lifelong perks associated with that lifestyle.

The WWE resentment doesn't make sense to me from a business perspective, but I can understand why fans would feel that way.

·
JANUARY 5TH
3,916 Posts
If he was a few inches taller and a little jacked he would be the biggest total package in pro wrestling.
I think he can still be one as long as he gets in shape. Cole is tailor made for WWE. Youth on his side so no need to rush things but there is only so little thing that left for him to do in NA indy scene. There is NJPW but with his style he aint going to have a better position than the likes of Ospreay and Ricochet.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I think you're right about that resentment being the major factor driving these type of opinions.

The WWE resentment doesn't make sense to me from a business perspective, but I can understand why fans would feel that way.
I think I agree depending on what you mean by business perspective. If you mean for the wrestler than yes. I have always said as much as I might not want a certain guy to sign with WWE I do not hate on them and understand as we all would like that big fat pay check.

If however you mean the business of wrestling over all I disagree. Have some decent alternatives to WWE, even if not competition, causes WWE to pick their game up which is better for business. I mean THE high point of wrestling was the MNW. As far as the individual wrestler not signing while it might cost him money some people see things more important than just the most money they can earn. Things like being a bigger fish in a smaller pond as opposed to a tiny fish in an ocean, having more time off to be with family and recoup and of course more creative control over your character.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
10,813 Posts
My favorite in the world atm (obviously)

Wholeheartedly believe he's one of the best (if not the best) in the world. Cole is absolutely the complete package, great on the mic, great in the ring, insane amount of charisma. Has the IT Factor. His catchphrase is one of the most popular in the world. He's been the GUY in ROH since 2013 really.

As far as him signing with WWE, he's never said never. I believe he will sign once he drops the ROH World Title, which will probably be sometime between April-July.

Cole is the perfect next face of NXT, he could have a great run down there and be a great champion. He's very marketable and is great in interviews so he could absolutely help the brand continue to expand. He'll expand and be the face down there similar to Balor.

It's only a matter of time BAYBAY ! (AND HE'S ONLY 27)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts