Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
RVD was cheered more than The Rock when they fought against each other back in December 2001.
Rock and RVD fought only 3 times(1v1) during that time period. Rock was the crowd favorite in two out of those three matches, the only time Rock was booed against RVD was in...CANADA!

For some reason, Canada became a hostile territory for Rock after 2000.

·
Registered
179 Posts
RVD was cheered more than The Rock when they fought against each other back in December 2001.
Yeah RVD was red hot at the time. Rock was also booed against Jericho at No Mercy 2001 and at Vengeance 2001. Even heel Austin got cheered over him at Survivor Series 2001 when it was down to them as the last 2 guys. His popularity definitely took a hit from 2000.

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
The Rock's booking was absolutely awful. Mark Henry defeated The Rock the PPV before Rock first won the WWF Title. Say what you want about "Superman pushes" and the like, that's just horrendous.

The guy should have won the WWF Title at WrestleMania 16 too. Triple H shouldn't have gotten a sniff after that. He'd fulfilled his role. The Jericho feud could have been good, but Jericho should have won. This is where they started making the same mistakes as WCW. To be honest, going back to Fully Loaded '00, if Rock had been the WWF Champion since WrestleMania, you could have feasibly done a thing where the future went 3-0 in their matches. Angle beats Taker after taking out the leg (possibly introducing the Ankle Lock here -- maybe even bringing in Ken Shamrock as a coach). Jericho beats Triple H to validate him as a rising babyface. Benoit also beats Rock for the belt. If you want to give Rock a graceful exit, Triple H can fuck him over which can lead to a Hell in a Cell blow-off between the two.

The WWF really felt like it stopped evolving in 2000.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The Rock's booking was absolutely awful. Mark Henry defeated The Rock the PPV before Rock first won the WWF Title. Say what you want about "Superman pushes" and the like, that's just horrendous.

The guy should have won the WWF Title at WrestleMania 16 too. Triple H shouldn't have gotten a sniff after that. He'd fulfilled his role. The Jericho feud could have been good, but Jericho should have won. This is where they started making the same mistakes as WCW. To be honest, going back to Fully Loaded '00, if Rock had been the WWF Champion since WrestleMania, you could have feasibly done a thing where the future went 3-0 in their matches. Angle beats Taker after taking out the leg (possibly introducing the Ankle Lock here -- maybe even bringing in Ken Shamrock as a coach). Jericho beats Triple H to validate him as a rising babyface. Benoit also beats Rock for the belt. If you want to give Rock a graceful exit, Triple H can fuck him over which can lead to a Hell in a Cell blow-off between the two.

The WWF really felt like it stopped evolving in 2000.
Why did you stop posting in the AEW section?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah RVD was red hot at the time. Rock was also booed against Jericho at No Mercy 2001 and at Vengeance 2001. Even heel Austin got cheered over him at Survivor Series 2001 when it was down to them as the last 2 guys. His popularity definitely took a hit from 2000.
There is a noticeable change in his gimmick/attitude/promos from 1999 to 2000. I think he lost his arrogance, which he did still possess as a babyface in 1999. I'm struggling to find the words to describe his change but it's very noticeable. The Rock I'm watching now in my rewatch (June 2000) is the one that got me into wrestling but he was honestly much better in 1999 now that i can see his entire career.

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
Why did you stop posting in the AEW section?
I honestly got over AEW. It’s so insignificant that it’s below notice, so I’ll wait until it becomes relevant to talk about. And a lot of the posters there (not all, obviously) are gatekeepers and have become less and less interesting to engage with.

I might be back, because sometimes I do get bored and love to talk any wrestling, but I can do without posters in the AEW section mocking me for daring to engage, haha.

By all means have fun over there though! Keep up the good fight, haha.

There is a noticeable change in his gimmick/attitude/promos from 1999 to 2000. I think he lost his arrogance, which he did still possess as a babyface in 1999. I'm struggling to find the words to describe his change but it's very noticeable. The Rock I'm watching now in my rewatch (June 2000) is the one that got me into wrestling but he was honestly much better in 1999 now that i can see his entire career.
I always thought of The Rock as “glossy.” Steve Austin was “grit.” In 1999, Rock was bashing people over the head with chairs, grabbing headsets and talking a lot of shit. In 2000/2001 he became the gag reel spouting catchphrases wearing his own merch.

It was always easier to get more tall poppy with The Rock. Honestly, I think a good honest blood feud would have helped him out. He never went one-on-one with someone in the cell. Honestly, if they could have put issues to the side, prick Shawn Michaels would have been a great opponent for Rock.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
But without that Mark Henry win you risk losing out on the eventual Sexual Chocolate, a proven ratings success and Russo's greatest creation.

·
Registered
966 Posts
This whole "Rock needed a superman push" sounds just like the "Why didn't they ever give Piper/Jake/Dibiase/Perfect a title run"? It doesn't fucking matter. Rock was a superstar. He didn't leave any money on the table because they didn't script him to win more. They mega-pushed him to the moon out the gate and it became one of the more notorious examples of a crowd turning on a guy in the history of the business, It wouldn't surprise me if he even became little resistant to it after that. He's one of the biggest stars in the world. They're better off giving the winning streaks and scripted accolades to somebody who would be screwed without them like Hunter.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts