Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If WWE would do this, would you call it a book-end since Kane buried the ABA so that the deadman would walk again?

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
I do miss the ABA gimmick, I prefer it 500% to the Deadman one. Taker really got to excel on the mic 2000-2002ish and is actually one of the top mic-workers in the company still, you just don't get to see it because he has to talk all monotone and mutter his words.

The problem being is how do they implement this gimmick back, all I can think of (using good off the top of the head story thinking) right now is simular to what I said in another thread.

Have Taker not show up this week, then come next week have Kane and Bearer cutting a promo. Kane is talking and explaining how with Taker gone he has finally defeated his brother and with the help of his father he will become an unstoppable force to dominate on SmackDown, he claims the reason he is out here is to come face to face with his number 1 contender, and since he doesn't feel anyone backstage is worthy he claims the next person who walks out will be the number 1 contender.

This music hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAS8fNQsVcg&feature=related (WWE wouldn't use Rollin' due to having to pay royalties to Limp Bizkit).

Undertaker comes out, short hair, bandana, maybe a hoody, not sure if he's on his bike but if he is he stops at the top of the ramp below the titan tron.

Undertaker claims the powers of darkness were brutally stolen from him by Paul Bearer, that the demonic side of Taker has been stripped of him. He claims he had to go away, take the week off and rethink what he had to do. He says he couldn't beat Kane using the powers of darkness and that he is going back to basics, "beating the hell out of you!". He gets of the bike and runs down to the ring, him and Kane trade blows and he throws Kane outside of the ring, at this point Bearer is still there, Taker turns around and walks towards Bearer. Bearer is pleading with Taker but taker hits The Last Ride (or maybe just a chokeslam because of Bearer's weight).

Takers music hits and the promo ends.

Hmm, yeah it wouldn't work :/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's going to work. If they do play it right. I'd think it would send a good message to the kiddies if a badass normal can beat a demon.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I don't think this is going to happen, it's like the reverse of what actually should(and did) happen. You mean to tell me 'The Phenom' couldn't beat Kane, and the big plan is to have him become a biker again? That's sort of anti-climatic to me and doesn't make sense for him to be a threat against Kane if he couldn't beat him as 'The Phenom'. this is like 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan losing to someone and returning as Hollywood Hogan to fight them again.

What's more likely is that Taker is going to reach down into his soul and find that the power was always there and he never needed the urn or Paul Bearer, it was a mental thing..

·
Asuka
96,358 Posts
There's no way it'll happen. The American Bad Ass was just a transitional gimmick to show off a real side to The Undertaker, since he'd never been humanized before. A great, great, classic gimmick, but a transitional gimmick. Undertaker hasn't got too much shelf life left, when he finally retires, it's going to be as the Deadman.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I hope so, Pyro. As much as Bikertaker was cool, he just didn't feel as awesome as classic deadman.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
There's no way it'll happen. The American Bad Ass was just a transitional gimmick to show off a real side to The Undertaker, since he'd never been humanized before. A great, great, classic gimmick, but a transitional gimmick. Undertaker hasn't got too much shelf life left, when he finally retires, it's going to be as the Deadman.
I agree, it won't happen...Taker will be going out as the Deadman when he finally hangs it up. The ABA gimmick was awesome though, and really fit well with that time period in WWE...much better than I think the Deadman gimmick would have. One of the greatest things about Undertaker's career is the fact that he was able to successfully change gimmicks from something that was fantasy based and very outlandish, to something real and believable, then back to a fantasy gimmick. Truely an awesome switch up that I have no doubt added so much life to Undertaker's career.

·
Ho!
17,491 Posts
One thing I did think about, and it's all talking in kayfabe so keep that in mind...

During Taker's first run as the deadman (1990-1999) it could be looked as he was a normal person who had simply been taken into the world of dark magic and evil, and he used that mentality due to everything that happened with his parents, Kane, etc. During the end of his ministry run, we saw shades of what perhaps the real Undertaker was, he was leaning away from the dark powers, and came back as the american badass and started living a a normal human's life... granted not as a joeshmoe, but as a badass on a motorcycle that just kicked whoever's ass he saw. But then when he got buried at Survivor Series 2003, he was killed, but brought back by the dark power and now exists because of that.

In other words there is no turning back for Undertaker, his human self was killed and now he survives as a true deadman who now must survive in the darkness, rather than what he was originally doing and that's choosing to use the darkness. So he can't logically go back to the American Badass.

Yeah, it all sounds crazy and mythical but really, that's the basis of Taker's character one way or the other. While I would definitely like to see him come back as the ABA now that his deadman gimmick has gotten really stale, it just can't really happen now. I mean sure, WWE hasn't been known to go by logic 100% of the time, but I doubt they've even thought about bringing back the biker gimmick anyway.

Besides, as Pyro said he should only end his career as the deadman. Him ending it as the ABA would maybe result in a more entertaining end, and perhaps we'd get to see him interviewing more often leading to the end of his career, but it just wasn't the gimmick that made Taker as big as he is.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I loved the Deadman gimmick back when I was kid and it was the coolest thing in the world. But I think my favorite taker was the short haired biker with the bandanna beating up Ric Flairs son.

The only thing I didn't like about his gimmick was using Kid Rock or Limp Biskit as his theme music.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The best thing Taker ever did as ABA was cut his hair and become Big Evil. Before that he was just looked like 'The Undertaker with Diesel's outfit', and you would always hope that something would happen to make him the real Undertaker again. Don't get me wrong it was cool for what it was and he really was a bad-ass, but once he cut his hair I knew I had to get used to that gimmick. I didn't know that he would make such an awesome bully bad-ass of a heel, to me 'Big Evil Red Devil' is the ABA gimmick at it's best.

With that being said I don't think he should ever go back, it was a one time thing that humanized him to the fans and fit with the Attitude Era. And for the record he showed glimpses of this gimmick like in '98 when he was about to fued with Austin at summerslam. I remember him walking into the arena with jeans, a vest, sunglasses, a bandana, and his gym bag. He then preceded to whoop all of DOA's Asses(how ironic) while they were outside the arena.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts