Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people have so much of content to offer on this website and the guys take a lot of pain to re-up the videos they'd uploaded because the links expire not once but more than that. Ok here is my question to the Administrator.

Have you ever thought about implementing torrents on this site? i.e Users can share their matches and other files with everyone else and moreover we can keep the downloads active longer because seeding is something a user will be ( i bet) much more willing to do than reupload. Please Admin give some serious thought to it because last i heard Implementing torrents on a forum wasnt at all costly an affair and also that server load increases only ever so slightly. Hoping to get some fitting replies from The Admin himself cos hes the one in charge of site implentation , hence he could give me the best answer .... or atleast from the staff on his behalf if he doesnt have the time to do that :(

·
Banned
2,683 Posts
Well im not an Admin... but i bet their answer is No!... many people then would want to upload their files... not only would it take up many GB it would cost alot of money...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
upload their files where??????????? Theres only peer to peer data transfer in torrents . theres no data uploaded to the tracker other than the stats of each user. So i am not sure i understand you. and no implementing a tracker/torrent setup doesnt cost a lot of money mate . Trust me

Just wanted to add this in case you're new to torrents

The data of the actual file is only passed between users i.e just like kazaa and other programs( Hope you've heard of kazaa)

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
Torrents work like this for you n00bs.

You download a small file which is usually 100kb. That file is used in your torrent program to download the movie, game, song, etc. you're looking for.

Basically, you can't get in trouble for torrents.

·
Banned
9,035 Posts
I don't understand the question...you can already post torrents on File Share or Wrestling Media. True.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
errr no thats different Admin . What i meant was would u consider starting up WEforums own tracker . Thataway Users can share their videos by making torrents of the files using WEForums own tracker announce url as opposed to uploading on Rapidshare/Yousendit etc etc to share with other members.

Have i got my point across to you???

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
^ Sounds expensive, sounds as if it would take up lotsa bandwith with all the uploading and downloading, i bet its a no lol.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
It's actually peer to peer, so not very much bandwidth. Each torrent download or upload is like a page view.

I honestly don't think that there are enough people smart enough to create a torrent file, although it is so easy since most programs have the 'Create Torrent' button.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why do you people think its expensive???

BTW Kaneanite if you dont mind me asking. Could you please give me a reason about why you gave an outright no ? Setting up trackers for sites is quite cheap actually and server load increases only minimally i.e only when the users stats are being uploaded to the server and that too only if you wanna track how much users upload and download inside weforums. Other than the know how involved in setting up torrents which can be a bit irksome to some people new to torrents i dont see why the Admin should say a no to this because with torrents and tracker in place the potential of this already great place would be infinite :)

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Its a bad idea. People can just upload the torrents on Rapidshare or YouShareIt, which have unlimited downloading capacity and put them up for download. It saves space and money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i still dont get what you people mean by "Wasting space" if torrents are implemented on the site. Are you guys sure you even know what i am talking about?

Ok heres one eg. Say a person wants to share a good PPV's entire video , the person is going to use yousendit no doubt and pray hows that going to give unlimited downloads? With torrents that problem can be solved in a jiffy. All that person has to do is seed.

What is being done right now is People take other people's torrent links from public torrent indexing sites like torrentreactor,torrentspy etc and up it to places like rapidshare to pass it on . So in essence its not their share and the amount of stuff that can be shared like that is limited. I mean how many public wrestling torrents are out there on torrentspy 20-50 at the max seeded ones.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
OK, I got the space part. But It actually does take CASH to do it. People can upload the torrents onto Rapidshare/YouShareIt and post the links in the Multimedia/File Exchange Forums. Anyways, we still have to wait for Nitemare or GOd Yo. to come in.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well only a minimal amount actually cos a tracker is not all that costly to implement. As for uploading to rapidshare well its a bad idea which i will dwell into later on but i'd seriously like the joint word of some admins here first

N

·
0 Posts
Amish and I have already discussed this. It's going to be purely my decision on if the site has it or not. I will NOT say we will because we might not, and I'm NOT going to say we're not because we might.

There are a few problems with the torrents, though. Our server currently has a lot of trouble with the current forum database SQL. The SQL loads are high. Assuming we used a MySQL tracker, it'd be worse.

Bandwidth wouldn't be a problem; it's server loads that could cause problems.

Nevertheless, people are assholes and probably wouldn't share, besides the seeders. It's easy to create torrent files, and of course I'd create an explanation for creating the files...but still, it's all up in the air right now. I have limited time to be online currently, so the outlook now seems to be...not in the near future.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
hm its good to hear that there is a possibility though, i've never used torrents or know how lol, it would be good to learn though.

*watches this space for more news* :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nitemare I've heard that a C++ based tracker wont cause much increase in server loads. Anyway ur answer was highly satisfactory for me. Atleast now i know its a possiblity here :) . That works for me

N

·
0 Posts
I haven't looked at recent codings of new trackers (only some trackers last year). Not sure how hard it would be for incorporating it into vB.

Luckily for us, I saw someone creating a hack for vB.org. It's not released, but it's quite far in production (barring some elements). I'll install it if the coding is good, whenever it is released.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts