Wrestling Forum banner

A somewhat boring question to US residents.

1671 14
I've always wondered, what default TV channels do US residents have? By that I mean, here in the UK if you go out and buy a brand new TV, plug in a TV aerial to it you'll get the default terrestrial channels 1-5. BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5. It's pretty piss poor compared to what you can get from the obvious Sky, Virgin, BT or hell even purchasing a freeview box for a very small sum.

TV is generally such a big part of American culture, so you've gotta be getting something good right?

So what do you guys over in the US get? And perhaps give me a very quick rundown on the type of shows you can expect on them. I suppose this is an open question to anyone else in the world, although I only really care for the US.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,263 Posts
the channels mentioned, and where I live I would get a Spanish speaking channel without cable (Telemundo)

as for whats on them: FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, are all pretty similar. Mostly talk shows in the morning, soaps in the afternoon, an evening news program (both national and local) and 'hit' TV shows in the evening.

Each has a sport they show, mostly on weekends (might be missing some, somebody else can correct me)
FOX: MLB baseball, NASCAR, NFL football
ABC: NBA basketball, college sports
CBS: NFL football, college sports (mainly NCAA tournament), golf
NBC: NHL hockey, NFL football, Olympics coverage

The Super Bowl interchanges yearly between CBS, FOX, NBC; this year it was on FOX

In terms of the "non-traditional" American sports: FOX shows the final of the Champions League, ABC shows select World Cup/European Championship matches (mostly USA matches and the finals). US Open finals is on CBS. Wimbledon and French Open weekend action on NBC

MyTV & CW Network is mostly TV shows, talk shows and B movies, I don't think they have a news department anymore, at least where I live

PBS is mostly documentaries, cooking shows, travel programs and kids programming in the morning

· ✔
29,933 Posts
we get abc, sbs, 9, 10 and 7 as the basics. a set top box will get you:

abc news 24, abc 2, abc 3, go, gem, eleven, 1, 71, 72, 7mate, sbs 2 and sbs 3.

think i got them all, that's all free to air. 90% garbage though.

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Usually at hotels in America I've stayed at they have some pretty good channels. Is it cable? I'm not sure.

The last time I went to Florida, the tv at the hotel had loadsss of channels, including HBO 1/2/3 plus USA which means I could watch loads of good movies anytime I pleased, as well as Raw on Mondays.

· StarStruck
2,098 Posts
PBS, ftw. It's the only way I'm able to watch EastEnders and Keeping Up With Appearances...how that broad hasn't been choked, I don't know.
Wow, didn't know you got Easties in the US, I think its crap personally, how it gets nearly 10 million viewers in the UK i don't know. Coronation Street is where its at, not sure if you get that in the US, a far better 'Soap'.

· SMILEY GOD
34,465 Posts
coronation street is just a bunch of old people in a town/pub. it's so far out of date it's hilarious. at least eastenders used to try and be gritty and cutting edge, but even that's too family oriented these days. having said that i haven't watched a whole episode of either for years. keeping up appearances is worth than both though.

as for channels, idk how many i've got access too, there's hundreds of them and about 30/40 HD channels.

· Banned
14,767 Posts
Usually at hotels in America I've stayed at they have some pretty good channels. Is it cable? I'm not sure.

The last time I went to Florida, the tv at the hotel had loadsss of channels, including HBO 1/2/3 plus USA which means I could watch loads of good movies anytime I pleased, as well as Raw on Mondays.
Pretty much every hotel has some form of cable or dish. But they're usually stripped-down packages depending on where you stay, because the hotels get special deals from the service providers. You have to pretty much stay in a roach motel to only get basic television.

· Registered
6,564 Posts
I have DirecTV (satellite) but one TV in our house just basically has the antenna and converter box so get the basic channels. Here's what I get...

Channel 5- ABC affiliate. 5-2 is RetroTV which is basically like TV Land, old TV shows.

Channel 8- CBS affiliate 8-2 is WeatherNow, local weather channel with some national weather via AccuWeather and also airs reruns of our local shows at night.

Channel 11- PBS (public broadcasting) 11-2 is Create...runs the cooking and travel shows. 11-3 is World...documentaries and news from around the world, such as BBC World News.

Channel 13- NBC affiliate. 13-2 WeatherPlus, local weather channel. 13-3 is AntennaTV...retro comedies like TV Land.

Channel 17- Fox affiliate 17-2 MyCoolTV just like MTV used to be with all videos

Channel 19- THIS affiliate Old school movies and TV

Channel 23- CW affiliate

Channel 39- ION Network 39-2 is qubo...basically kids programs 39-3 IonLife...travel, cooking, etc

The good channels though are on cable or satellite...ESPN, CNN, Fox News, Comedy Central, Travel Channel, etc

· Crazier than Santorum and Bachmann's love child
9,503 Posts
Good channels are mostly on cable like everyone has said. PBS is like BBC but with more science programs and less actually interesting stuff. Its main demographic is elitist hipsters and anyone with a PHD. Fox is our version of Rupert Murdoch's garbage complete with American Idol and god awful animated junk (family guy, Bob's Burgers, American dad). CBS/NBC/ABC show your typical dramas/news/comedy and MyTV/CW are barren wastelands of awful, predictable shows and reruns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.