Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HBK retired RIC @ Mania25
Taker retired HBK @ Mania26

and now there r rumors of this being Taker's last Mania..

Is someone going to retire Taker this year @ Mania?

How about having a retirement match from now on?

Kane, Rey, Edge , Triple H are going to retire in few years and they all can do at Mania?

Hell... win the match at Mania and then retire yourself or lose the retirement match next week?

Now that they don't have MITB anymore... this thing can be huge

what say?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Flair retired at 24, 25 was Taker/HBK1 and HBK retired at 26.

It's just a coincidence that it's happened a couple of times recently, certainly won't become a fixture. There's no point creating something so predictable and dull, both of those retirements had big storylines leading into them with older stars who actually wanted to retire (well, HBK did, Flair... bleh) forcing it at future wrestlemanias would be idiotic.

Taker likely will fight his last at 'mania and rightly so but that's because he's a legend and deserves a big sendoff, not because WM should have a retirement gimmick match evry year to devalue it.

In short your premise is flawed and your conclusion is rubbish. Sorry mate.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Retirement angles will never become a big ingredient for Wrestlemania. To turn them into an annual storyline would dramatically cheapen their meaning, especially for bigger stars. I don't doubt that the years leading up to Wrestlemania 30 could well see some of the big names step down in huge matches, but once the likes of Undertaker, Triple H and Big Show have retired, things will settle down again as the young guys start to peak.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
No point in doing it at Wrestlemania. Just make it a gimmick pay-per-view: WWE Presents In Your Retirement Home. EVERY match on the card is a career vs. career match. Sounds like a win.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
HBK retired RIC @ Mania24
Rey Mysterio retired JBL @ Mania25
Taker retired HBK @ Mania26

and now there r rumors of this being Taker's last Mania..

Is someone going to retire Taker this year @ Mania?

How about having a retirement match from now on?

Kane, Rey, Edge , Triple H are going to retire in few years and they all can do at Mania?

Hell... win the match at Mania and then retire yourself or lose the retirement match next week?

what say?
Fixed (they still have MITB and Ric was at Mania 24,and I added JBL)

I doubt this is Taker's last mania,unless they pull of some MITB wacko'ness or some last minute match (squash win by 'Taker) and then have his match against Cena.

That'll count as 20-0 and then Taker could have his big finish,but I doubt it big time,cause it'll be a stupid waste of time.

But you got a problem in that theory...
When the veterans are done then what? Retire Santino over and over?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a line up of stars retiring in few yrs...

HHH, Show, Kane, Taker,Jericho, Edge, Rey..maybe a returning Batista or Angle?

And all of those stars dont have to lose their matches..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Poueff

We have more than half a dozen superstars about to etire .... and once we dont have old stars

they can always end this concept.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
JBL/rey wasn't a reitrement match, JBL jus quit.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
JBL/rey wasn't a reitrement match, JBL jus quit.
Yes I know,but he did retire...

---

Taify,hm,I guess so,but it would sound like an escuse to retire the vintage* guys of the roster and that'll let the creative team care less about the booking

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Retirement thing shouldn't be a tradition. Cause then people will know someone is retiring every year and it takes the surprise away from all this.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,324 Posts
I noticed this not so long ago and was condering making a thread but it does seem weird that over last couple of wresltmania we have had retirement matches. Mania26 HBK, Mania25 JBL and Mania24 Ric Flair. It'll be interesting to see how this year's Wresltmania fairs, but I don't think anyone will retire this year

·
Registered
813 Posts
This is not a great idea because of the main problem with "retirement" matches - rarely, if ever, do they actually retire the wrestler. I can't even count on two hands the amount of retirement matches that a wrestler lost and afterward, they started wrestling again. Of the ones you mentioned, Ric Flair wrestled after he lost that match. I'd be really surprised if we never see Michaels in the ring again.

So why should WWE glorify one of the worst stipulation matches in wrestling by having it every year at Wrestlemania? They shouldn't, sorry.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
If they were at the level of the MITB, they would just be used to 'retire' mid-card guys that needed to be released.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,097 Posts
Well, the odds are Triple H will bow out at a Wrestlemania. If Wrestlemania XXVIII is in Toronto, I would bet five thousand dollars Edge retires on that night. Maybe The Big Show at a Wrestlemania? Rey Mysterio is a possibility. Undertaker... maybe...

I've been thinking this way, too. If the recent rumors about Triple H wanting to hang 'em up soon are true, we could see him retire at this very next Wrestlemania for all we know. If that's the case at all. After that, I'm not sure.

It absolutely should not become an actual, embedded tradition. Although I do think this grouping of legends retiring at Wrestlemanias close to one another will probably continue for a little while longer (probably 'till we get into the Wrestlemania 30s).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts